Finding a leak

The Flying Tench

Thanks for all the comments on the 'leaking pond' thread. I finally got to emptying most of the water out, leaving just 9 inches of VERY silty water. I put on my chest waders and got in and inspected the sides and couldn't find the leak. I then knelt down and felt round everywhere underwater and still couldn't find it.

I then thought 'aha, science' and decided to fill it up again and plot a graph of how th elevel dropped against time, which I assumed would be a curve which would slowly flatten out, indicating the level at which the leak is. I never actually drew the graph, but I've done something very similar, marking th elevel each day with snopake.

It fell 3" the first day, and then about 1" per day since (it's been about 8 days). I'm puzzled why it fell fast the first day, when I can't see any cut in the liner which would mean a reduction in leakage when the water level fell below it.

Does anyone have any relevant expereince of finding elusive leaks? I'm beginning to think I'll have to empty the pond altogether and maybe put a new liner in over the existing one.

john clarke

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

Two leaks?

The first leak emptying faster?(x2 leaks)

One leak emptying faster due to more weight/pressure from above water?

a) Two leaks?

The first leak emptying faster?(x2 leaks)

B) One leak emptying faster due to more weight/pressure from above water?

I thought along similar lines to you Ferret. But with a) you'd expect a cut to be visible reasonably high up, and I just can't see it. B) is possible, but the rate of leakage seemed to change a bit suddenly after the first day. Could still be a pressure thing - i guess that's where it would be interesting to hear from anyone who's experienced the same thing in practice.

john clarke

Remote thought but you haven't got anything syphoning the water have you???

Not sure what you mean. There are some plants round the top which dip into the water. Are you saying they could somehow draw water out of the pond? If that were so it would explain the quick drop at first till the water level possibly dropped below the level of the overhanging leaves.

john clarke

You couldn't post any pictures could you John?

You've prompted me to achieve a technological 'first' which is to get my wife to take a photo of the pond and email it to me, so now it's in 'my documents'. Could you tell me how I post it to the forum?

john clarke

Guest Ferret1959
You've prompted me to achieve a technological 'first' which is to get my wife to take a photo of the pond and email it to me, so now it's in 'my documents'. Could you tell me how I post it to the forum?

I could but ain't gonna. :lol:

Na have a word with the lads on the photo forums, they will tell you in simple easy to follow instructions.

I'll get you, me and everyone reading tried up in knots if I explain. :lol: