Finding a leak

The Flying Tench

Guest Ferret1959

John you got the knack of posting images no but can you try a bit bigger please?

600x800 is a nice and about the largest size for the forums.:)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a quick glance I would say that the problem you have lies with the plants overhanging it. I think that it is a fairly safe bet that their roots have penetrated the lining. Your best course of action would be to rip it out and start again with a new liner. The cheapest liners I have been able to find are at WWW.pondkeeper.co.uk and www.watergardensdirect.co.uk. A 6mtr by 5mtr is only costing me £40 delivered.

I would also line the edge of the pond with cheap paving slabs, Wickes have got some in for about £1.40 a shot, set on a good layer of cement and overhanging the pond by about an inch.

A Hammond

Another thought along the lines of plants. It is possible for their roots to penetrate pond liners. Any such leak would be difficult to spot.

Alan, why would it be so hard to spot? The plants are my wife's idea, but in fairness to her I've looked hard and I can't see any roots coming through the liner.

john clarke

Guest Ferret1959
Let's see if Ferret can see this one!

post-3223-1176671103_thumb.jpg

Ah that's better.

If you look near the edge you can see two pin pricks, wonder if that's the problem. ;)

Plants will seek our water with their roots and are quite capable of going through concrete. A PVC or rubber pond liner will present no problem. So there could be root penetration from the back and below the water level where it is not so visible.

A Hammond

I see you liner is quite loose. Make sure there are no hidden folds that have fallen down below water level. I'd be very surprised if a plant managed to puncture your liner. If it did happen it would be very easy to spot. The most likely culprit is a dog or a heron.

I would rule out plant roots trying to obtain water, the plants are well established and will obtain all the moisture they want from the ground, I would say there are possibly two or more leaks. The smallest pin prick will allow a continuous loss of water, two or three at high level and one or two below the slow loss level.

I would agree a new liner is the best option, leave the old one in and either cover with pond felt to protect the new liner or hunt around for some old carpet, sand will be of little use in your situation.

I have just built several shallow ponds for aquatic plants over stone using pond felt on the base and lined them with DPM plastic sheeting and they work well even though some of the pots weigh in at around a 100lb when wet, so pond liner over pond felt should do the trick.

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist