smashing up the sea bed

still they got to make a living aint they.

Not like that they have'nt, it makes you wonder what the state of our seabed must look like around this tiny island of ours after the decades of smashing dragging and god knows what after what our own uk and european friends trawlers have done, dont it, cheers........

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hi Bob

That did not seem that bad to me alot of that ground is not towable and everything did not get killed.

Agrregate dredging companies on the other hand destroy everything turn ECO-SYSTEMS into LUNA-LANDSCAPES and yet all the goody two shoes poeple do nothing whys that then

Perhaps the goverment make to much money from it :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

steve

Hi Bob

That did not seem that bad to me alot of that ground is not towable and everything did not get killed.

Agrregate dredging companies on the other hand destroy everything turn ECO-SYSTEMS into LUNA-LANDSCAPES and yet all the goody two shoes poeple do nothing whys that then

Perhaps the goverment make to much money from it :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

steve

Hi Steve

Just being an ignorant oik, could you explain to me how the aggregate dredgers destroy everything please.

Do they catch all the living organisms on the sea floor in the area in which they operate?

Or do they displace most of them?

Do they claim that the action they carry out doesn't cause significant harm to the marine environment?

And please, I am not defending aggregate dredging, I just wish to understand a little more about the whole process, and as you seem relatively well informed I thought I would ask.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

typical responce from our residential commercial tw@t , maybe not everything got killed but it won't exactly be long will it !

personally I can't see the difference between dredging, scalloping or trawling. End result is the same = knackered seabed.

Maybe all the aggregate dredging to the East of the Isle of Wight affects your profits eh ??

regards

Hi smudgertoo

QUOTE/ Maybe all the aggregate dredging to the East of the Isle of Wight affects your profits eh ??

And the angling all along the BEACH

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: regards the [deleted word] :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

:clap2::clap2:

Edited by John S

Hi Steve

Just being an ignorant oik, could you explain to me how the aggregate dredgers destroy everything please.

Do they catch all the living organisms on the sea floor in the area in which they operate?

Or do they displace most of them?

Do they claim that the action they carry out doesn't cause significant harm to the marine environment?

And please, I am not defending aggregate dredging, I just wish to understand a little more about the whole process, and as you seem relatively well informed I thought I would ask.

Hi nick

Aggregate dredging destroys everything.

Dregders suck the gravel sand, and single up and there is nothing living left, wether above or below the seabed even whole banks where bass would once fed on sandeels that came to breed there all gone. The complete eco-system is destroyed, what cannot swim is killed.

QUOTE/ Do they claim that the action they carry out doesn't cause significant harm to the marine environment?

No they dont because they cant the evidence is there for all to see.

50% plus of all aggregate dredging is exported to Holland and France because they will not destroy there marine eco-systems and breeding/fishing grounds.

The goverment make monies on ever ton landed. The goverment issue the licences,

My local dredging company is French owned

And the GREENS are very quite on this subject to be busy bashing and blaming the commercials I suppose

Anything else you need to know about dredging just ask

Hi nick

Aggregate dredging destroys everything.

Dregders suck the gravel sand, and single up and there is nothing living left, wether above or below the seabed even whole banks where bass would once fed on sandeels that came to breed there all gone. The complete eco-system is destroyed, what cannot swim is killed.

QUOTE/ Do they claim that the action they carry out doesn't cause significant harm to the marine environment?

No they dont because they cant the evidence is there for all to see.

50% plus of all aggregate dredging is exported to Holland and France because they will not destroy there marine eco-systems and breeding/fishing grounds.

The goverment make monies on ever ton landed. The goverment issue the licences,

My local dredging company is French owned

And the GREENS are very quite on this subject to be busy bashing and blaming the commercials I suppose

Anything else you need to know about dredging just ask

Hi steve

You make a fair point about the aggregate dredging and the damage it causes, i agree with you, i would like to see the whole thing banned period, but you are wrong to think the greens are ignoring it check this site out!!

http://www.marinet.org.uk/mad/madbrief.html

One of the worrying things for me and probably you is that these bo**ock head company's are due to get new licenses granted to them to opperate the whole of this industry and expand it, in the southeastern channel it looks like we will be all fcuked mate.

I did not realise how much a threat this aggregate dredging realy was until now, and all the rsa,s and commercials that live between the i.o.w and dover should be very worried indeed, maybe we have found something that both the rsa and commercials can agree on and perhaps do something about it? over to you cheers...............

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Whose this "they" Bob? , bearing in mind this film jumps all over the world.

I also need to make a living. Even film makers and environmental policy makers do too?

Cutting to the film; they have a NZ marine biologist stating his opinion that deepsea trawling has caused species to become extinct: it's a long time since i've studied marine biology, but i find it hard to believe a single species has become extinct through deepsea trawling; unless someone can show me otherwise, that just looks like pure hype and spin.

FWIW I'd like to see deepsea (ie the sea mounts and shelf edge) fishing stopped right now but how to achieve that in international waters? Things get complicated then surely? and a big complication in there (IMHO) is the greens desire to get the north sea (and its similiar American, etc, local areas converted from their current uses to marine parks).

Is this film aimed at finding a solution to the "rape" of virgin deepsea areas, or a general attack on fishing, the end result of which may be more fishing of virgin ground? :unsure:

Anyone heard much news from Rockall lately? We got rid of our only eyes and ears out there, in the few Scots boats with 135 mm mesh that fished it. Last i heard was talk of Russian trawlers, 40mm nets, .... then just static :(

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net