new to fly fishing

carphead07

hello there fishermen

i never usually use this forum as i like to do carp and sea fishing but i was watching Matt Hayes fly fish for trout on the T.V earlier this week and it inspired me to want to start it.

now first thing is that i do not no any thing about fly fishing and thats why Ive started this topic.

now all i want is to no what gear i need just to start

secondly i would like to no how to catch a trout on a fly

also while watching the T.V it looked quite hard to keep all the line in order with out it getting tangled so i would like to no how to avoid that

all help is appreciated

mike Finlay

mike finlay the carpinator

All though I'm new to the whole fly thing I know my dad told me alot when I was younger. I my self have ordered the following to get started:

1 X Abu Enticer Pro Fly Rod 9.6ft 6/7 (2 piece)

1 X Okuma S Series 380S Fly REEL(WF8 + 50yds)

1 X Shakespeare Professional Backing Line 75m

1 X Mullarkeys Ideal Floating Fly Lines Weight Forward WF#7F

3 X Shakespeare Worcestershire Fly Tapered Leaders 9ft (each)

1 X Shakespeare Dry Fly Silicone Spray

1 X Leeda Profil Casts Salmon Casts-No Droppers 10lb

1 X 12 Assorted Dry Flies

1 X 12 Assorted Lure Flies

1 X 12 Assorted Nymph Flies

1 X 12 Assorted Wet Flies

----------------------------------------------

To get started you need a rod, reel, backing line (braided), fly line and a leader and some flys.) To catch a trout on say a river you'd need to fish a nymph fly cast at the fish you see where as in summer a dry fly could be used. Fly fishing is more mobile than carp fishing and you need to keep light, Idealy all you need to carry is some flies and a spare leader and possibley a landing net.

I'm sure all the more experienced guys could be of more help/reinforce what I've said.

Airguns:

Air Arms S200 .22

Cometa 5

Fishing rods and reel:

Fox 2 1/2 test carp rod + Shimano Baitrunner

Shimano Beast Master 60lb test stand up rod(5 1/2ft) + Penn international 2 speed with 30lb mono

COMING SOON: Abu #6/7 and okuma fly reel.

medaley0.jpg

Freshwater PB: 31 lb carp

Saltwater PB: 49lb tuna

It all comes with practice I have been fly fishing for a relativly short period and can now cast well(I think)

You dont need expensive rods or reels, the reels in the main are only used for the storage of the line I use 7/8 weight rods (3) 2 telescopic and 1 Adder 9' 6" most expensive rod was £20.

Last weekend I caught 2 trout form a kayak with one of the telescopic rods which cost me inc P&P £16 and the reel £7 off of e-bay.

So give it a go and it you like it then buy more expensive equipment as for me I am sticking with the gear I have.

Cheers

Dave

Target fish: Anything!

I've been told its mostly practice.

Airguns:

Air Arms S200 .22

Cometa 5

Fishing rods and reel:

Shimano Beast Master 60lb test stand up rod(5 1/2ft) + Penn international 2 speed with 30lb mono

medaley0.jpg

A days casting lessons is a good idea.Thought i could cast reasonably well,until i was shown otherwise by an expert.No need to spend mega bucks on gear.If you can,try out various rods,as what suites one person,won't suit another.Probably best to go for a middle to tip actioned rod-6/7 weight is a fair bet for small to medium stillwaters and rivers.There are loads of reels out there.A large arbour reel is preferable as you won't get so much memory in the line.Shakespeare do a L A reel-'Alpha' only around £10,belive me they are better than some of the £30 reels out there.Would suggest a decent line.Worcestershires are very good,can put you in touch with someone who sells them for silly money.Avoid Airflo floaters-they are awfull.I just picked up a mill end from Mullarkeys (for very occasional use) Silly cheap and can find no fault with it.Masterline 'debut 'lines are not bad,with backing already attached.There are some damn awfull lines out there though,so beware.The Lureflash lines are not recomended-imho anyway.Take a look at www.firsttackle.co.uk,very good service and post free goods.www.selectafly.com,very good for flies,good service-spend a tenner and get ten free,can't be bad :clap2: .

Take a look at www.fishtec.co.uk,they quite often have offers on 'Airflo' rods,either cosmetic seconds or without a tube etc at a considerable saving.The Airlo MT, rod is quite nice,decent action and fittings.

Good luck

Edited by chuby

A days casting lessons is a good idea.Thought i could cast reasonably well,until i was shown otherwise by an expert.No need to spend mega bucks on gear.If you can,try out various rods,as what suites one person,won't suit another.Probably best to go for a middle to tip actioned rod-6/7 weight is a fair bet for small to medium stillwaters and rivers.There are loads of reels out there.A large arbour reel is preferable as you won't get so much memory in the line.Shakespeare do a reel-'Alpha only around £10,belive me they are better than some of the £30 reels out there.Would suggest a decent line.Worcestershires are very good,can put you in touch with someone who sells them for silly money.Avoid Airflo floaters-they are awfull.I just picked up a mill end from Mullarkeys (for very occasional use) Silly cheap and can find no fault with it.Masterline 'debut 'lines are not bad,with backing already attached.Take a look at www.firsttackle.co.uk,very good service and post free goods.www.selectafly.com,very good for flies,good service-spend a tenner and get ten free,can't be bad :clap2: .

Take a look at www.fishtec.co.uk,they quite often have offers on 'Airflo' rods,either cosmetic seconds or without a tube etc at a considerable saving.The Airlo MT, rod is quite nice,decent action and fittings.

GGood luck

What's the biggest fish a 6/7 rod could put up with?

(sorry to hijack your thread)

Airguns:

Air Arms S200 .22

Cometa 5

Fishing rods and reel:

medaley0.jpg

What's the biggest fish a 6/7 rod could put up with?

(sorry to hijack your thread)

Josh,all i can say is i have had rainbows to 10lb-130z on a 7 weight,mate has had them to 13lb on a 6 weight.A bit like -say carp once they get to doubles they do tend to plod a bit and bore rather than dash around all over the place,so just carefull playing will see you ok.I will be trying out my 3 weight tommorrow :clap2: ,with fish to doubles available :D:headhurt::D:D .

With a 6/7 weight line ,i don't go below 5lb flouro,more usually 6lb and sometimes 8lb,some fisheries stipulate a minimum breaking strain leader anyway.

Josh,all i can say is i have had rainbows to 10lb-130z on a 7 weight,mate has had them to 13lb on a 6 weight.A bit like -say carp once they get to doubles they do tend to plod a bit and bore rather than dash around all over the place,so just carefull playing will see you ok.I will be trying out my 3 weight tommorrow :clap2: ,with fish to doubles available :D:headhurt::D:D .

With a 6/7 weight line ,i don't go below 5lb flouro,more usually 6lb and sometimes 8lb,some fisheries stipulate a minimum breaking strain leader anyway.

So I should be alright for salmon to 10 lbs?

Good luck with your #3

Airguns:

Air Arms S200 .22

Cometa 5

Fishing rods and reel:

medaley0.jpg

all this information is great

i may have to wait a while before i can start because of a tight budget.

but if any one could tell the average price of the recommended rod and reels it would be great

mike finlay the carpinator

all this information is great

i may have to wait a while before i can start because of a tight budget.

but if any one could tell the average price of the recommended rod and reels it would be great

Shakey 'Alpha LA reel around £10,Worcestershire line £12(pm me),thats a saving of £20 odd quid.Fly rod-£!!!!!!,look around ebay,the Fladen Vantage 6/7 weight is not bad,can pick those up reasonably.

You do need a decentish line,as i said,some of them are only good for hanging the washing on :D