Striking with a baitrunner reel ..ummmm

Morning all

This is going to sound such a stupid question, how the heck do you strike when using a bait runner reel without ripping line off the spool?!?! :headhurt:

Let me explain, bite runner is engaged and spooling freely, rod is on the rest with a bite indicator to keep tension. A carp walks (!) off with your bait. If I strike firmly with the bait runner engaged, it spools line off the reel a fair deal as the bait runner clutch is light. Obviously winding will disengage the bait runner to normal clutch mode ... surely you don't do this before removing your rod from the rest and bite indicator?

Is there a sure fire method of using these things or am I just going loopy? :unsure:

No, you're not going loopy! ;)

Well, there's two simple ways of striking with a freespool facility engaged.

1. Rotate the handle to dis-engage the freespool facility before/as you strike. This is the intended method from reel suppliers and requires the correct timing.

or

2. Cup the spool with your hand and strike at the same time (my prefered method). In cupping the spool you will, in effect, lock the spool in position and not allow any line to come off. Once struck, rotate the handle to disengage the freespool facility and play the fish as normal.

Hope that helps.

Garth.

Hi there,

As you pick up your rod to strike either knock the free spool level off before the strike or wind your reel handle a full turn as you strike this will also disengage the free spool. Hope that helps.

Regards.

:thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

As the guys have said there are two ways.

I pick the rod up give the handle a full turn at the same time and then strike.

Then you are away

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

It is only a stupid question if you really mean 'strike'. If whatever it is is taking line all you should do is lift the rod, apply some pressure to the spool to slow it down and then disengage the freespool. And please make sure that your clutch is not set too high.

Pete

All of the above is sound advice Rich.

I will only add one comment to this and that is; no matter how you disengage the free spool facility when you have a run, just make sure you have a good hold of your rod! :thumbs:

You don't want to see a biggun' hauling your tackle into the water which could easily happen if you are attempting to stop a carp that's swimming away at full steam with your bait.

Our chief weapon is surprise

As the others have said, its all a matter of timing and NOT rushing. One hand on rod the other on the handle of reel. As you pick up rod turn handle at the same time and lift rod to 11 o’oclock position. Normally you will be in contact with fish at this point.

Cheers all, I thought it would be something simple! :thumbs:

Used the bait runner for the first time weekend before last and only had one decent run ... cold for d'em d'ere carp ... got overly excited and grabbed at the rod quickly hence the line spooling off and one lost fish.

I shall remember the golden rule, of slowly slowly catchy fishy (!) and hold onto my rod of course.

Rich

As the guys have said there are two ways.

I pick the rod up give the handle a full turn at the same time and then strike.

Then you are away

STC

Engage free-spool (baitrunner is copyrighted to Shimano) and set y'bobbins, then turn reel handle slowly until it meets resistance the internal mechanism will already be positioned at the precise where it dis-engages free-spool so rather than a complete turn of the hancle (you've already done that !!!!) it's a very quick and simply"click" as you push handle a few millimeters forwards with y'left thumb as you grab rod handle and arc into the srike with your right hand/arm. Make sense ???????

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Engage free-spool (baitrunner is copyrighted to Shimano) and set y'bobbins, then turn reel handle slowly until it meets resistance the internal mechanism will already be positioned at the precise where it dis-engages free-spool so rather than a complete turn of the hancle (you've already done that !!!!) it's a very quick and simply"click" as you push handle a few millimeters forwards with y'left thumb as you grab rod handle and arc into the srike with your right hand/arm. Make sense ???????

Aye, that makes perfect sense.

Oh, it is a Shimano Aero 6000 btw :thumbs: