It's your sport

essexbuoy

Please follow the link below

http://tinyurl.com/3bnz9k

Cheers

Steve

Sensibly put steve, nuba does seem to have some high level members which is good!! never heard of it until i saw this thread, on the sea angling side of things what ideas do they have regards aims etc have thet set any yet? cheers.......

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Sensibly put steve, nuba does seem to have some high level members which is good!! never heard of it until i saw this thread, on the sea angling side of things what ideas do they have regards aims etc have thet set any yet? cheers.......

Hello Stavey

With regards to aims and objectives it's still early days, apart from Alan's philosophy which he states on the website. The official launch isn't until 11th July this year, I expect there will be more news by then. The main thing is, NUBA will strive to give the anglers a voice, rather than their so called representatives. The dog will be wagging the tail as opposed to the tail wagging the dog. So, what do you want the aims and objectives to be?

I've agreed to help them out on the sea angling front, and I'll make damn sure that they do truly represent sea anglers, or else I'm out of there. Speaking with Alan Suttie, and listening to his ideas, has been refreshing to say the least compared to all the other bullshit I've listened to over the last 4 or 5 years. Give him a call, his number is on the website.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Stavey

With regards to aims and objectives it's still early days, apart from Alan's philosophy which he states on the website. The official launch isn't until 11th July this year, I expect there will be more news by then. The main thing is, NUBA will strive to give the anglers a voice, rather than their so called representatives. The dog will be wagging the tail as opposed to the tail wagging the dog. So, what do you want the aims and objectives to be?

I've agreed to help them out on the sea angling front, and I'll make damn sure that they do truly represent sea anglers, or else I'm out of there. Speaking with Alan Suttie, and listening to his ideas, has been refreshing to say the least compared to all the other bullshit I've listened to over the last 4 or 5 years. Give him a call, his number is on the website.

Hi steve

There are sh*t loads of ngo's and petitions cropping up nowadays voicing there opinions about all that is environmentle these days, but they all fail to achieve little if not any of there aims imo, the question that must be asked is why?

I suppose it all comes down to getting enough support behind them and "keeping" that support and it being listened to from the start and all the way through, and how its used to shape there aims etc.

I have allways thought that if a high level celeb type of person could be brought on board? (a bit like a sea angling version of "jamie oliver" i think fish are just as important as overweight kids indeed a cure to some of the latter could be found by the former) to highlight the problems and promote the rsa on tv more directly this would make a huge difference, so i am glad to see a couple of these guys have put there names forward for this nuba thing, but it does depend on how active these chaps are when they are in the limelight so to speak.

As for aims and objectives i would like to see? well nothing new steve that i have allways wanted, and i guess like no other chap who has fished the beaches and shoreline of this island for over the past three/four decades and that is, a chance to catch a few decent sized fish from it now and then mate like the good ole days, how this can be achieved imo is through a few simple measures that have been mentioned and proposed on this very forum and elsewhere, but the difference as got to be in the way and weight of its backing if it is to have any chance of it being achieved and successfuly implemented, cheers........

Ps i will gladly donate the price of my sunday lunchtime pint this week and join nuba and i will see if i can have a chat to alan suttie on the dog and bone sometime.

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Until someone actually realises that to organise, manage, and pursue political campaigns costs REAL BIG MONEY there is no point in creating yet another organisation that claims to represent anglers. And it does not matter what language is used, and whether the tail is wagging the dog, or the barking for it, this is just another representative organisation.

The only way that angling is going to get a "proper" voice is for ALL the angling bodies to get together. Forget their petty differences. Introduce a proper membership scheme where each member pays proper money to join. They then need to develop cohesive overarching policies which ALL ANGLERS can support. They then need to run a professional recruitment campaign, aimed at getting a LOT of members - given the level of participation reported there is no reason to believe that membership levels of over a million isn't feasible (but probably take many years to get anywhere close). If 100,000 members could be signed up in year 1 at £20 per head imagine how the government would sit up and take notice! And think what could be done with even that restricted a budget that currently angling can only dream of.

The single factor that ruins political campaigning by anglers currently is the infighting. The my species matters more than yours does attitude. For all anglers the basic need should surely be proper management of the freshwater and marine environments. Included in that must be control of pollution, management of mans impact on the ecosystems, and control of harvesting of all species upon which fish feed, and the fish themselves. As long as we can be viewed as split from within we will simply not be listened to with any respect by any politicians.

If we can get the above in place then the internal management of angling almost can look after itself. Healthy waters, healthy fisheries. But so far all I see is narrow interest group carving themselves an ever smaller piece of turf to control, and if anyone tries to trespass on "their" turf, then hang the lot of 'em.

So Steve - good luck with NUBA. I hope that if the members say that all they want is more cod, and the bass can fend for themselves you will still feel able:

give the anglers a voice

Also, I would be very interested in how any organisation can give anyone a voice without being their representative. Surely the two mean the same. Unless you are planning on persuading the powers that be that all anglers must be able to attend any discussion then you must be planning on being a representative organisation. If that is the case how will you put forward the many many many different viewpoints that undoubtedly will be put to NUBA?

Edited by nick

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

They then need to develop cohesive overarching policies which ALL ANGLERS can support.

Impossible Nick

If this forum taught me anything its that all anglers will never support the same policy. The whole thing is too diverse and with different species and differing opinions from 20 mile down the road let alone the far end of the country.

Southern anglers don't understand those from the north and vice versa (although Leon is spending more hours in my forum than he is on here trying to figure us northern boys out - no doubt so he has all the answers when the RSA strategy kicks off again). :rolleyes:

Please re-read Glenn

ALL anglers regardless of the specifics need some of the same stuff.

Decent marine or freshwater environment, properly managed. Get that right and the petty bickering becomes totally irrelevant because with a healthy environment the fish are there to catch and we can do that instead of bickering about mines bigger than yours.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Guest challenge

A good article Steve, I don’t agree with it all but still well written and very informative to an outsider trying to look in.

Not quite sure what you mean about healthy environment Nick ??

What springs to mid when you say that is good water quality, plenty of food etc. Which is of little use if there is no fish to take advantage of it.

Or do you include ensuring commercial fishermen leave the breeding stock biomasses above the recommended level in that and stopping them taking more than they should ?? Stopping discards of small fish etc That's the real issue here you know !!!. Whilst anglers continue to go forward wearing a blind fold and hoping restrictions on ourselves will improve fish stocks we aint heading anywhere fast.

If that's the case that you include sorting out the commercials in our agenda then I agree fully - get the right amount of fish in the sea and all the rest will fade away. At present I don't see one angling rep calling for the commercials to be sorted out - Just chat of toilets, slipways, new reefs and piers to fish from - All a waste of time if there is no fish to catch in the first place.

Edited by glennk