Lochaline with Ian Burrett

conger conger

Day 1

Headed up to Lochaline on the early hours of thursday morning, myself and Gordon in my car, Guy, Tommy and Graham headed up in Guy's car. The day dawned beautifully with my aspirations of popping my cherry, I was excited to say the least.

We arrived at the digs in the Ardtornish estate arpoutn 8am and greeted Ian and Spike at their breakfast. Bags were un packed and we were at the slip waiting by half eight.

As the Boats only carry four anglers, guy otped out of day 1. So Myself, Gordon, Graham and Tommy headed out on Spikes boat Go West to the Firth of Lorne in search of commons.

Being the group virgin all four rods were fishing for me at first, didn't take long for the first bite, which was struck on Tommy's rod as I got harnessed up. for 20 mins i fought the fish hard as in was stuck hard on the bottom, unfortunately it turned out to be a snag - I was shattered(literally) what had I let myself in for. Rods was re-baited and sent back down.

20 minutes later another bite screamed off, on tommy's rod again. This time it was definately a fish and i was set for some cerry popping. After 35mins or so the fish broke the suface, a lovely female fish - 154lbs.

The fish was unhooked and released back to the depths by spike.

Next up was Gordons rod, with what lookd like a good fish, this fish was certainly giving him a run for his money, after 45 mins gordon got the fish to the surface, a male fish estimated at the side of the boat, 115lbs. this fish was hooked in the clackers - ouch!

Graham was next up, again on Gordons rod. THis looked another good fish which took plenty of line from graham. THis fish was certainly giving graham a run for his money, turned out to be one of the smallest of the trip, but a perfect fresh 88lb male that fought all the way to the boat.

Next fish was tommy's, on his own rod. Despite having only one good hand following surgery, tommy managed to get his fish to the boat with minimal effort.

another running fish - a 90lb male - again a fresh fish.

With everyone on the boat having landed a skate, this meant the next fish was mine, and surely enough Gordons rod screamed off. Got the Sex-aids on and was into the fish, this time the fight felt very different, this fish was going bananas, screaming this way and that. How can a fish hooked on the bottom keep taking line?? this fish was really spirited four good dives on the way to the boat. Turned out to be a male fish 123lbs - What a scrap!

Rod was rebaited and sent back down as i relaxed, Gordons rod screamed off, He was up and into the fish in no time, another running fish, went really well, but gordon had it up in aroud 30mins. lovely male fish. around the 95lb mark.

Had been intouch with Guy who had to have the sharp implements taken from him as he heard of the fishing he was missing. However he had found some excellent light line pollack fishing, he had 18 pollack up tp 7lbs and lost bigger.

Day one finished with 6 fish on spikes boat, 1 female 154 and 5 males 123,115,95,90,88.

Big thumbs up to Spike for putting us over the fish!

Andwell done to guy on the shore for not ending himself and finding some excellent sport on the jelly worms!

Day 2

After our start, we were joined by Guy, Keith and Bim on the slip. After several liquid refreshments in the social club it was back to the digs for some more beers and dinner.

Day two Dawned - another glorious sunny Day. Myself, Gordon and Bim joined Spike on Go West, While Guy, Keith, Tommy and Graham joined Ian onboard Onyer Marks. Both boats took advantage of the weather and headed out to their marks in the Firth of Lorne.

THe fish came thick and fast in the morning for go west with first run on Bims rod, lovely scrap and he soon boated a 106lb male skate. Well done that man.

Next run came on my rod, this looked like a really good fish, Spike had spoke to ian on the CB radio and reckoned this was indeed a very good fish, held the bottom for almost an hour of kidney popping pressure. then the fish seemed to give up the ghost and begun coming to the surface, then dived back down again from half way. This process was repeated three times before the fish came to the side of the boat. A male fish - fighting fit at 108lbs, Aint fishing funny sometimes.

This ws the last fish we seen on Day two about Go West, apart from the spurs and dogs that kept us busy on the lighter gear.

Onyer Marks was still to see a fish by lunchtime when they got in touch with some big ladies, first fish went to Keith, A cracking fish of 171lbs,, only 67lbs shy of his personal best. Next up on Onyer Marks was Guy who hooked a serious fish that didn't want to play. After a typical big girl fight he landed a new personal Best - 196lbs... Hitting the bar of the 200 club. well done guys.

Day two finished with four fish for the two boats. Well done again to the skips.

Again the beers flowed thick and fast at the digs after day twos session.

Day 3

The day had again dawned glorious, and by this time we were all sporting some serious sun burn - tough life this fishing lark.

A rather exstatic Guy joined myself, gordon and Bim on Go West. The craic was just as good as the previous day.

First fish went to Gordon, and it seemed a very good fish as it was taking the serious power he was putting into it through his custom rod. After on hour of serious efort Gordon had Got his fish to the side of the boat. a huge fish I thought, easily the biggest I'd ever seen. A fresh female - 188lbs. Beating his Pb by 15lbs - well chuffed for him it's been a long time in coming.

Onboard Onyer Marks There was a few fish about, but the only managed to connect to one fish, a nice male of 117lbs for graham. THey had lost a fish due to braids touching and parting..

Think the high pressure associated with this glorous weather was putting the fish off the feed. But we still had fun with the spurs and dogs, and i burst my balls trying to get a black mouth to no avail.

We spent the night on shore spinning for pollack, with some very good results from both the rocks and the old pier.

Day three finished with only two fish, but a cracking PB for Gordon . and even more sumburn all round. We were joined in the digs by tthe editors of one of the major sea angling magazines who were up to do a report on the skate fishing. There were many beers sunk in both the digs and the social club that night

Day 4

Bit of a a switch around for Day four;

Myself, Guy, Gordon and Keith joined Ian onboard Onyer Marks, while the other three lads joined Spike onboard Go West. Conditions in the sound weren't great. Ian decided to take a gamble and see how things looked in the Firth of Lorne. While Spike opted to have a Go in the hole @ inninmore bay.

Onyer marks got set up in the middle of the firth, conditions were lumpy to start with, but definately fishable.

First run went to Guys rod and he was on it like a tramp eating chips. Harness and butt pad on and he was into another good fish. Then Ian's rod went and it was duly passed to Keith. For the best part of anhour Guys fish gave him a real struggle, four dives bak down to the bottom, Everyone onboard knew he was into a serious fish, but how serious??

Meanwhile Keith was tryin to get his off the bottom.

Eventually Guy got his fish up and it was a belter! Could he really beat the PB he had just set two days ago?

Fish onboard and measured and expertly released by Ian. The chart showed a weight that had Guy dancing about the boat. 202lbs - membership to club 200. well done that man.

Keith was still locked into his fish, this was another angry female. THis fish came to the side of the boat and was measured and released. 168lbs - well done keith.

Double hook ups are seriously hectic! but the make the quiet spells worth it.

The tide had begun to seriously race out of the firth of Lorne, the tides had been building all week. and we were struggling to hold bottom with 2.25lbs of lead despite using braid.

Guys rod had a very tentative bite that was initially put down to the lead walking around in the mud. however He wound into what turned out to be a skate. The rod was duly passed to Gordon who was in for the most arduous hour of his life. this fish was seriously going some nad held bottom for 50mins. he begun to gain some line on the fish, but after getting it into mid water the fish changed its mind and begun running, and not stopping. THe other rods were swiftly brought in(or as swiftly as you can retrieve 2.5 lbs of lead and bait in 400ft of water) and Ian had cut the anchor rope in preparation to chase the brute.

But gordon began to gain on the fish, this seemd too easy but the line begun the move away from the boat as the fish kited in the tide. Surfacing 250 yards down tide of the boat with a splash . signalled only by the confused sea gulls overhead.

the fish was dragged upto the boat, measured and released. but this was another very big lady. Surely he wasn't about to beat the PB he had set the previous day!!

Well, no. He never beat it he equaled it; another 188lber. well done gordon - belting fish.

Next up it was me, on gordons rod. once the sex aids were on and the fish was moving I went through a very similar scrap to what gordon had just been through in the tide, although much shorter. the fish ran in mid water and kept running, then I began making line easily. The fish surfaced 200yards down tide and was brough to the boat, a lovely lady of 152lbs.

that was the last fish boated of the trip, although we had a couple more runs which we failed to hook up to.

Over in inninmore - Go West blanked, the only blank of the trip, but this was the only day one of the boats never made the firth of Lorne.

GReat trip, cant wait til next year. Big thank to Ian and Spike.

post-6636-1176798336_thumb.jpg

post-6636-1176798346_thumb.jpg

post-6636-1176798358_thumb.jpg

post-6636-1176798370_thumb.jpg

post-6636-1176798386_thumb.jpg

post-6636-1176798397_thumb.jpg

post-6636-1176798406_thumb.jpg

post-6636-1176798418_thumb.jpg

post-6636-1176798427_thumb.jpg

We're gonna need a bigger boat!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brilliant report, great pics.

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Brilliant report,well done everyone :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2: My day will come :thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Guy when is your first visit to the MOG??? Going over this weekend with the wife.Will sneak in a couple of hours pollacking or maybe try for my first silver bar of the year.Let me know when you are coming down,we never did get that pint/chinwag together at LA!! :thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

yeah the chilli sauce trick was well funny, <_< almost on a par with last weeks colmans englis mustard - yummy! :blink::unsure:

Chilli sauce? English mustard? Easter weekend in a tent with a roll of gaffer tape, I'm begining to get seriously worried about you two.

Still some cracking fish there.

All the best

Gareth

Edited by chappers

Day 1

Headed up to Lochaline on the early hours of thursday morning, myself and Gordon in my car, Guy, Tommy and Graham headed up in Guy's car. The day dawned beautifully with my aspirations of popping my cherry, I was excited to say the least.

We arrived at the digs in the Ardtornish estate arpoutn 8am and greeted Ian and Spike at their breakfast. Bags were un packed and we were at the slip waiting by half eight.

As the Boats only carry four anglers, guy otped out of day 1. So Myself, Gordon, Graham and Tommy headed out on Spikes boat Go West to the Firth of Lorne in search of commons.

Being the group virgin all four rods were fishing for me at first, didn't take long for the first bite, which was struck on Tommy's rod as I got harnessed up. for 20 mins i fought the fish hard as in was stuck hard on the bottom, unfortunately it turned out to be a snag - I was shattered(literally) what had I let myself in for. Rods was re-baited and sent back down.

20 minutes later another bite screamed off, on tommy's rod again. This time it was definately a fish and i was set for some cerry popping. After 35mins or so the fish broke the suface, a lovely female fish - 154lbs.

The fish was unhooked and released back to the depths by spike.

Next up was Gordons rod, with what lookd like a good fish, this fish was certainly giving him a run for his money, after 45 mins gordon got the fish to the surface, a male fish estimated at the side of the boat, 115lbs. this fish was hooked in the clackers - ouch!

Graham was next up, again on Gordons rod. THis looked another good fish which took plenty of line from graham. THis fish was certainly giving graham a run for his money, turned out to be one of the smallest of the trip, but a perfect fresh 88lb male that fought all the way to the boat.

Next fish was tommy's, on his own rod. Despite having only one good hand following surgery, tommy managed to get his fish to the boat with minimal effort.

another running fish - a 90lb male - again a fresh fish.

With everyone on the boat having landed a skate, this meant the next fish was mine, and surely enough Gordons rod screamed off. Got the Sex-aids on and was into the fish, this time the fight felt very different, this fish was going bananas, screaming this way and that. How can a fish hooked on the bottom keep taking line?? this fish was really spirited four good dives on the way to the boat. Turned out to be a male fish 123lbs - What a scrap!

Rod was rebaited and sent back down as i relaxed, Gordons rod screamed off, He was up and into the fish in no time, another running fish, went really well, but gordon had it up in aroud 30mins. lovely male fish. around the 95lb mark.

Had been intouch with Guy who had to have the sharp implements taken from him as he heard of the fishing he was missing. However he had found some excellent light line pollack fishing, he had 18 pollack up tp 7lbs and lost bigger.

Day one finished with 6 fish on spikes boat, 1 female 154 and 5 males 123,115,95,90,88.

Big thumbs up to Spike for putting us over the fish!

Andwell done to guy on the shore for not ending himself and finding some excellent sport on the jelly worms!

Day 2

After our start, we were joined by Guy, Keith and Bim on the slip. After several liquid refreshments in the social club it was back to the digs for some more beers and dinner.

Day two Dawned - another glorious sunny Day. Myself, Gordon and Bim joined Spike on Go West, While Guy, Keith, Tommy and Graham joined Ian onboard Onyer Marks. Both boats took advantage of the weather and headed out to their marks in the Firth of Lorne.

THe fish came thick and fast in the morning for go west with first run on Bims rod, lovely scrap and he soon boated a 106lb male skate. Well done that man.

Next run came on my rod, this looked like a really good fish, Spike had spoke to ian on the CB radio and reckoned this was indeed a very good fish, held the bottom for almost an hour of kidney popping pressure. then the fish seemed to give up the ghost and begun coming to the surface, then dived back down again from half way. This process was repeated three times before the fish came to the side of the boat. A male fish - fighting fit at 108lbs, Aint fishing funny sometimes.

This ws the last fish we seen on Day two about Go West, apart from the spurs and dogs that kept us busy on the lighter gear.

Onyer Marks was still to see a fish by lunchtime when they got in touch with some big ladies, first fish went to Keith, A cracking fish of 171lbs,, only 67lbs shy of his personal best. Next up on Onyer Marks was Guy who hooked a serious fish that didn't want to play. After a typical big girl fight he landed a new personal Best - 196lbs... Hitting the bar of the 200 club. well done guys.

Day two finished with four fish for the two boats. Well done again to the skips.

Again the beers flowed thick and fast at the digs after day twos session.

Day 3

The day had again dawned glorious, and by this time we were all sporting some serious sun burn - tough life this fishing lark.

A rather exstatic Guy joined myself, gordon and Bim on Go West. The craic was just as good as the previous day.

First fish went to Gordon, and it seemed a very good fish as it was taking the serious power he was putting into it through his custom rod. After on hour of serious efort Gordon had Got his fish to the side of the boat. a huge fish I thought, easily the biggest I'd ever seen. A fresh female - 188lbs. Beating his Pb by 15lbs - well chuffed for him it's been a long time in coming.

Onboard Onyer Marks There was a few fish about, but the only managed to connect to one fish, a nice male of 117lbs for graham. THey had lost a fish due to braids touching and parting..

Think the high pressure associated with this glorous weather was putting the fish off the feed. But we still had fun with the spurs and dogs, and i burst my balls trying to get a black mouth to no avail.

We spent the night on shore spinning for pollack, with some very good results from both the rocks and the old pier.

Day three finished with only two fish, but a cracking PB for Gordon . and even more sumburn all round. We were joined in the digs by tthe editors of one of the major sea angling magazines who were up to do a report on the skate fishing. There were many beers sunk in both the digs and the social club that night

Day 4

Bit of a a switch around for Day four;

Myself, Guy, Gordon and Keith joined Ian onboard Onyer Marks, while the other three lads joined Spike onboard Go West. Conditions in the sound weren't great. Ian decided to take a gamble and see how things looked in the Firth of Lorne. While Spike opted to have a Go in the hole @ inninmore bay.

Onyer marks got set up in the middle of the firth, conditions were lumpy to start with, but definately fishable.

First run went to Guys rod and he was on it like a tramp eating chips. Harness and butt pad on and he was into another good fish. Then Ian's rod went and it was duly passed to Keith. For the best part of anhour Guys fish gave him a real struggle, four dives bak down to the bottom, Everyone onboard knew he was into a serious fish, but how serious??

Meanwhile Keith was tryin to get his off the bottom.

Eventually Guy got his fish up and it was a belter! Could he really beat the PB he had just set two days ago?

Fish onboard and measured and expertly released by Ian. The chart showed a weight that had Guy dancing about the boat. 202lbs - membership to club 200. well done that man.

Keith was still locked into his fish, this was another angry female. THis fish came to the side of the boat and was measured and released. 168lbs - well done keith.

Double hook ups are seriously hectic! but the make the quiet spells worth it.

The tide had begun to seriously race out of the firth of Lorne, the tides had been building all week. and we were struggling to hold bottom with 2.25lbs of lead despite using braid.

Guys rod had a very tentative bite that was initially put down to the lead walking around in the mud. however He wound into what turned out to be a skate. The rod was duly passed to Gordon who was in for the most arduous hour of his life. this fish was seriously going some nad held bottom for 50mins. he begun to gain some line on the fish, but after getting it into mid water the fish changed its mind and begun running, and not stopping. THe other rods were swiftly brought in(or as swiftly as you can retrieve 2.5 lbs of lead and bait in 400ft of water) and Ian had cut the anchor rope in preparation to chase the brute.

But gordon began to gain on the fish, this seemd too easy but the line begun the move away from the boat as the fish kited in the tide. Surfacing 250 yards down tide of the boat with a splash . signalled only by the confused sea gulls overhead.

the fish was dragged upto the boat, measured and released. but this was another very big lady. Surely he wasn't about to beat the PB he had set the previous day!!

Well, no. He never beat it he equaled it; another 188lber. well done gordon - belting fish.

Next up it was me, on gordons rod. once the sex aids were on and the fish was moving I went through a very similar scrap to what gordon had just been through in the tide, although much shorter. the fish ran in mid water and kept running, then I began making line easily. The fish surfaced 200yards down tide and was brough to the boat, a lovely lady of 152lbs.

that was the last fish boated of the trip, although we had a couple more runs which we failed to hook up to.

Over in inninmore - Go West blanked, the only blank of the trip, but this was the only day one of the boats never made the firth of Lorne.

GReat trip, cant wait til next year. Big thank to Ian and Spike.

:clap2: If you'd like to abbreviate your report and choose a couple of pictures I'll make an article out of it for the benefit of those that don't have the internet. :clap2:

Guy when is your first visit to the MOG??? Going over this weekend with the wife.Will sneak in a couple of hours pollacking or maybe try for my first silver bar of the year.Let me know when you are coming down,we never did get that pint/chinwag together at LA!! :thumbs:

first trip is the first sunday in may , if yer around john i,ll pop in with the crew , aye it was a bit busy in the hotel that night ye would need to have three of yersell to get around everybody :clap2: