Quality trout fishing

Sportsman

Hi

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I have been up in Orkney working. Tried a bit of fishing but my back problem flared up so didn't do too much. had a few wild Brownies though.

I would love a serious weeks float tubing up there.

Regards the rod, I think the SCIV is on a par with Sage or Loomis. It makes a great rod. Ironically whilst I was in Orkney one of the local ships captains had a go with my St Croix and now wants me to build him one, and he uses a 600 quid Sage Z Axis.

If you confirm length and casting weight I will do a final price on the bits. I use bamboo Burl for most of my rods and I think the AUS reelseat will be fine but what type of wood insert would you want? For the guy in Orkney I am going to use a REC seat with an Antler insert from Les Frieborg. It will look soooo cooooooll :clap2: It would be easy to order two :thumbs:

For a 7 weight rod I would go with lined rings, titanium finish with a SIC lining look good and will last longer than you will probably. My choice of thread would be a dark green to match the rod with perhaps a very thin gold trim but you get what you want.

Delivery time from the States varies, can be anything from 1 to 4 weeks, usually around 2 but that assumes the blank is in stock, not always the case. It would only take me around a week to build, probably less so might be able to do it before you go to Alaska but you would have to move on it soon.

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave, sorry to have missed you. Next time you come up give me a shout and we will arrange a tubing session. Glad you enjoyed you visit, most people do :thumbs:

I bet the fly Mike gave you was white with a bit of fritz in it, would that be about right ?

Cheers

Dave Olley

Hey Dave

Thanks for the reply. I've just come back from Belgium and have new respect for their beers (some even 13%...). Havn't fished in about 2 weeks. Might go this weekend. OK I think I'm going to go for the 7wt rod in a 9ft6. The REC seat with the antler insert sounds good. Don't want to rush the rod so might be better to get it once I'm back from Alaska. I'm still below my limits to send you a PM so it might be easier if you send me one (Especially if we need to start to exchange contact details...Don't trust the net <_< ) The dark green thread and gold trim is going to look good :thumbs: Hope I've given you enough details. Can't wait for me "special sportsman" rod ;) Cheers.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dave

Thanks for the reply. I've just come back from Belgium and have new respect for their beers (some even 13%...). Havn't fished in about 2 weeks. Might go this weekend. OK I think I'm going to go for the 7wt rod in a 9ft6. The REC seat with the antler insert sounds good. Don't want to rush the rod so might be better to get it once I'm back from Alaska. I'm still below my limits to send you a PM so it might be easier if you send me one (Especially if we need to start to exchange contact details...Don't trust the net <_< ) The dark green thread and gold trim is going to look good :thumbs: Hope I've given you enough details. Can't wait for me "special sportsman" rod ;) Cheers.

OK thats all I need for a start. I will get the rod blank etc ordered.

Couple of things, I am having problems getting hold of the guy that does the antler reelseats, his website seems to be unavailable so we may have to go with a wood insert. The green insert in the REC Aus catalogue would look good but it is a $20.00 upcharge so the reelseat would cost $55.00 altogether. Its the SLBAG on this page

http://www.reelseats.com/catalog/index.php...65ee24be9c41341

I know you said that you liked the Reverse half Wells handle in Bamboo Burl. This is a very slim handle and I am wondering if it is beefy enough on a 7wt. Most people wold go for a full wells for that weight.

Up to you but the bamboo burl is slimmer than most. What size hand have you got and how much power do you like to put into your casting. I could post you one if you like as I have one laying around somewhere, see what you think. I will PM you my email address so you can send your postal address.

Price for all this will be a day out on Hanningfield toward the end of the year. I will be down in Essex for a few days in October. :thumbs:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sorry mate, I can't send you a pm either. You will have to get posting.

Hey Dave

I really like the SLBAG insert so lets go for that one. The Reverse half Wells Bamboo Burl handle feels nice in my hand. (I'm 6ft and have got big hands) The handle feels comfy but if its not going to be practical for a 7wt rod then lets rather go for the other type. Cheers :D

Just trying to get some more posts going to get my quote... It would be my pleasure to take you out to Hanningfield. Just keep me updated :thumbs:

Just trying to get some more posts going to get my quote... It would be my pleasure to take you out to Hanningfield. Just keep me updated :thumbs:

Hi

I have ordered your blank, reelseat, handle and guides. Haven't ordered the thread till we see the exact colour of the blank. I ordered the fixed 1.5" fighting butt so will let you know when they are coming.

I have ordered another almost identical set for the guy in orkney so we will be able to share postage and tax.

We may be lucky and dodge the tax but with a parcel of this value, don't hold your breath, still shouldn't be too bad.

The other thing to thing about is the inscription on the rod. I usually do a handwritten one in white ink but if you want a printed one let me know. Personally I prefer the hand done appearance.

The blank will come with a transfer showing the rod length / weight and the St Croix logo if you want that on it.

Looking forward to that Hanningfield trip. When they first opened for fly fishing the cost of an annual season ticket was 25quid and everyone complained at the price.

A coarse fishing license from Essex River Boards was 4 shillings (20p to you youngsters)

Hi

I have ordered your blank, reelseat, handle and guides. Haven't ordered the thread till we see the exact colour of the blank. I ordered the fixed 1.5" fighting butt so will let you know when they are coming.

I have ordered another almost identical set for the guy in orkney so we will be able to share postage and tax.

We may be lucky and dodge the tax but with a parcel of this value, don't hold your breath, still shouldn't be too bad.

The other thing to thing about is the inscription on the rod. I usually do a handwritten one in white ink but if you want a printed one let me know. Personally I prefer the hand done appearance.

The blank will come with a transfer showing the rod length / weight and the St Croix logo if you want that on it.

Looking forward to that Hanningfield trip. When they first opened for fly fishing the cost of an annual season ticket was 25quid and everyone complained at the price.

A coarse fishing license from Essex River Boards was 4 shillings (20p to you youngsters)

Hey Dave

Thanks a mill. I'm really exited about the rod :clap2: . I would like the handwritten writing on the rod and also all the info (lenth and weight) on the rod. 25 pound is what you pay for a day ticket these days! Gone are the good old days...I'll go onto the coarse/carp forum (my speciality) and chat on those to get my 15 posts. Then hopefully be able to send you a PM with my details... Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Dave

Thanks a mill. I'm really exited about the rod :clap2: . I would like the handwritten writing on the rod and also all the info (lenth and weight) on the rod. 25 pound is what you pay for a day ticket these days! Gone are the good old days...I'll go onto the coarse/carp forum (my speciality) and chat on those to get my 15 posts. Then hopefully be able to send you a PM with my details... Cheers

Hi

Your reel seat arrived from the States today, it's nice, very nice :thumbs:

Still waiting on the rest of the goods. Hook and Hackle seem to be a bit slower tan normal.

Will keep you informed.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Hpint

Hope you had a good time in Canada or whereever, I'm not jealous :schmoll:

Your blank finally arrived today so I will start the build very soon.

If you let me have your email address I will mail you some picture of different thread colours on the blank so that you can decide what suits.

Speak soon

Dave

Hi Hpint

Hope you had a good time in Canada or whereever, I'm not jealous :schmoll:

Your blank finally arrived today so I will start the build very soon.

If you let me have your email address I will mail you some picture of different thread colours on the blank so that you can decide what suits.

Speak soon

Dave

Hey Dave glad to hear about the blank! Had a great time in Alaska. Caught a 34lb king salmon and a big ling cod from a kayak. Also fed small rock fish to the the eagles who come crashing down right next to you with their wings spread and talons out! Wow what an experienced. Saw a bear (too close for comfort) and came within about 15m of a wolf (I was also on the kayak and wolf on the shore). Caught crabs, prawns and red snapper, also from the kayak. Waaaaay too much for me to eat. Great time!!! Also saw whales, otters, minx, deer, ect. Definately going back one day! My email is lerouxcraven@yahoo.co.uk. Cheers. Le Roux