Etherow Country Park, Compstall, Stockport

Woz

I grew up in the village and want to return to fish there some point soon ( I'm now in London).

Can anyone tell me.....

Is it subject to closed season?

Is it still Stockport Fed as I heard there was a lease disagreement with the council?

Best tactics and spots to fish (As a kid it was always the bridge and maggot for perch).

Thanks

I've been away too long to answer your question, I'm afraid, but I heard about the dispute with the council and I'd be interested to know what happened in the end. As for the closed season, I know that they did retain it for some time after the abolition of the statutory closed season, 'cos I once turned up to fish and was delighted to find I had the place to myself... I'd be surprised if they still close now that everywhere else is open.

Oh, and when I was a kid, it was open end feeder tight to the islands!

Hi Steve,

A feeder was far to exotic for me at that age!

I'd also like to find out if the canal in Marple is closed season and whether it's free fishing or a club (Stockport fed?).

I reckon if I can do those two and throw in Roman Lakes, the nostaglia trip would be complete.

Someone on the forum must know the answers!!??

I probably should ring Romiley Pets and Tackle if that's still there!!

A feeder was far to exotic for me at that age!

Oh, we'd just discovered legering, using swingtips. We'd found that you could actually catch fish with them on our more usual haunts (Stamford Park Lake and Oldham's Pond) so we thought we were very sophisticated catching skimmers on the feeder :lol:

Before then, though, I do remember coming third in a club match on there, and my mate coming fourth. We float fished little redworms on the drop and caught loads of perch. Given that the two guys who beat us were not only seniors but were also using bloodworm on the pole, we considered it a moral victory!