Eggcorns

DavyR

I'd never heard of "eggcorns" until I caught a piece about them on R4 recently. An "eggcorn" is a sort of semi-logical mis-use of language that becomes so common, it becomes absorbed into daily use and eventually replaces the original word or saying. If you've never seen "acorn" written down, and don't know the origins of the word, "eggcorn" sounds sensible - it's shaped like an egg, isn't it? Apparently "acorn" is itself an eggcorn, as the word was originally "akern" and changed its spelling and pronounciation because the appearence of the object itself reminded people of seedcorn.

Lots more about eggcorns here: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

Thanks to Chesters for his "blimp on the landscape" (on the global warming thread) that reminded me of eggcorns and led me to the database in the above link. :thumbs:

Eggcelent ;) Some of those are just great :D:D:D

Very interesting - a bit like Malapropisms. My mum, bless her, always refers to men having prostrate trouble - mind you maybe some of them do if they're reluctant risers in the morning! She also says people have been casting nasturtiums instead of aspersions. :rolleyes:

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

Thanks Davy, I'd never heard of them before.

I do know someone who always says pacific, instead of specific.

A friend once said, (at the time of the first gulf war), that Saddam Husain had threatened the west with " The battle of all mothers", if we interfered. :blink:

I nearly fell off my chair laughing, with the mental image it conjured up. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I do know someone who always says pacific, instead of specific.

So do I - he's the Consultant Physician who heads the Clinical Guidelines team that I work for. The secretary and I have bets on how many times he's going to say it in the course of every meeting. :rolleyes:

Peggy - My old Mum also invariably refers to "prostrate trouble". And also "Westminister" instead of "Westminster". :)