Clean up operation needed

fruitloopy

I fished a nice lake in a public spot down London Road, Peterborough on Sunday. It used to be a brick pit I think and apparantly now contains a good head of Tench, roach and perch. Someone mentioned big carp in here but someone ALWAYS seems to mention big carp in any unknown water.

The problem (and one that many are most likely familiar with) is that a lot of kids, teenagers and probably adults go along with carrier bags full of beer, food & questionable fishing tackle, eat and drink the lot then leave it all behind. I dont understand that bit...surely it weighs much less afterwards so why not take it away with you?

I am concerned that places like these which are most likely owned by the local councils cost money to be maintained and if the council decide to cut the budget (a yearly occurence) then they may decide to either sell the place to a club/syndicate or just close it up and fill the lake in for health and safety reasons.

From talking to others it seems there used to be a lot of council or local authority owned lakes that you could fish for free or very little money around the country but you dont get them much anymore. I know of four such lakes in Peterborough and I'd like them to stay free.

I was thinking about trying to organise a clear up operation and getting some volunteers together, maybe even get the local newspapers involved to at least highlight the issue.

Where do I start?

Has anyone done this sort of thing before?

I think you'll find the answer to that in David Williamson's thread....

Click >>>HERE<<<

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I'll try and find out who owns the land, although I should imagine its the local council.

I like the idea of a clean-up, BBQ and beer party though!

I dont suppose there are any forum members who live nearby who would be interested in joining in?

Yup, I've spent time with others trying to do just that.

The only water that could be considered local to me was a small mill pond.

It was owned by a bar/night club, and was at the end of the car park of the place.

The club owners tried to make it a decent place by applying for grants to have picnic tables down one side, and easy access for wheelchairs and disabled anglers. The tables were set on fire, as were the platforms. The contents of the bottle bank formed a 'flotilla' stretching across the pond and the rest were scattered (and shattered) along the side of the water.

Several clubs leased the water over the years, and each tried to keep some kind of order.

The last one was a friend of mine and we all chipped in to help finance the place, and police it.

Litter bins were thrown into the water. We each spent hours collecting litter, cleaning the bank and trying to make the place decent. All to no avail.

The owners had enough and applied for permission to fill the place in and build on it.

We battled for 3 yrs to try and save it, providing results of surveys into the water life, stressing the importance of the place to the local community, (especially the old and the young). Just as we thought we had won the battle, it was hit with a 'mysterious' pollution, that killed off just about everything.

That was the end, it's now a housing estate.

If you want to keep the place, try and get as many of the local community involved. Stress the importance of the place, not just angling, but as a wildlife reserve as well.

I know places that have survived by the formation of a 'Friends of' group.

A lot of hard work, but worth it to keep it from going the way of our project.

Good Luck

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Make sure you know what you’re letting yourself in for, there are a lot of legal issues with organising a public event, and the red tape is ridicules.

Also it will cost you, you will need insurance

"As the event you will need to arrange insurance cover to indemnify yourself against civil litigation. This is referred to as 'Public Liability Insurance'. The normal minimum cover should be £5million. Seek expert opinion about your particular needs which may necessitate a greater figure.

If you are part of a national charity or a voluntary group, contact your headquarters. You may already be insured or have access to discounted rates.

The Council is not able to offer Public Liability Insurance for events arranged by members of the public or other organisations. "

I would try to pursue a different method other than organise it yourself.

Good luck

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

I never thought about the lawsuit society we live in these days, I guess I was being naive to think this would just be a jolly jaunt for like minded people to clear up a lovely spot.

I suppose the only over way is a clandestine operation with us all wearing dark clothes and balaclavas, turn up at midnight and get on with the job ourselves. Somehow I cant see it working.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention Bluerinse, I'm still going to try to find out who is responsible for the site and see what can be done.

I do know now that it is a nature reserve, but as far as nature reserves go its a bloody tip!

I think you're being dramatic. Do you actually people believe all public events are covered by insurance? That's can't be true. If every event that someone organised had to be covered, nobody would do anything and the people with power would win every time. People aren't daft. If someone falls, do you really think they'd hold Loopy responsible for throwing a Bar-B and a clean-up? I can't accept that, even in this lawsuit society.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

With our project we just got a bunch of anglers together and did it when and where we could.

If they are all adults, and are willing to sign a 'disclaimer' then I can't see there being too much hassle.

We did think about getting the local scout group involved, but were told that the insurance would be expensive.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

A disclaimer would be a good idea, as long as you explain the reason why people are signing it.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I think you're being dramatic. Do you actually people believe all public events are covered by insurance? That's can't be true. If every event that someone organised had to be covered, nobody would do anything and the people with power would win every time. People aren't daft. If someone falls, do you really think they'd hold Loopy responsible for throwing a Bar-B and a clean-up? I can't accept that, even in this lawsuit society.

No not all public events, but this is proposed on Council property which makes it mandatory.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"