WARNING: Don't put fishing reels in hand luggage

Houseplant

Just got back from a long haul trip. Despite getting on a plane in Auckland with a fishing reel in hand luggage without a problem, it was picked up by security in Sydney in the transit area and I was made to strip and discard two spools of expensive braid. Apparently 'string' and the like is no longer allowed as it could be used to strangle someone or tie them up. Apparently the rule only came into effect within the last 24 hours. Not happy :(

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

That rule's been in place a while over here :(

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Apparently 'string' and the like is no longer allowed as it could be used to strangle someone or tie them up.

Have they banned shoelaces and belts too? :unsure::huh:

A few years ago I got stopped at Minneapolis airport (after flying in from Winnepeg) on my way back to London. The "Homeland Security" bozo decided that the downeast clamp on rod holders in my hand luggage were an offensive weapon. I pointed out that they weren't any heavier or more dangerous than the ABU 7000's in the same bag or the bottle of whiskey. The little man in the uniform just asked if I'd like to have them confiscated as well then? :angry:

Rules like this are made in paranoid countries like ours and America and only enforced in these countries. Last year flying to Greece we had a 4 hour torturing going through customs 2 metal detectors on our way out, but on the way home the customs guy was on his phone not even glancing at the X-ray machine. My advice to terrorists is to take your bombs with you on your flights to America or the UK as it's much more difficult on the way back!

Joined up thinking I think they call it? :blink:

Tim

Travelled to and all arround india by plane with five reels in my hand luggage with not so much a question beyond wanting to know what the rels were. Did the same thing flying from Delhi to Milan but then some jumped up little berk in Milan made me check my hand baggage into the aircraft holds because of the line on the spools.

Number of terrorist incidents involving fishing line in the last 20 years = Nil.

If I were so inclined, I could do more damage with a steel tipped ABS pen than with any item of fishing tackle short of a gaff.

Better garrots that are allowed in hand luggage include belts, shoelaces, bag straps etc.

It's also a bit odd that they will happily sell you overproof spirit in glass bottles in duty free so that if you were so inclined, you could happily turn the bottles into improvised daggers and burn the plane out of the sky by lighting the content.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

what about reels in the luggage that goes in the hold?? not that i am exactly happy about taking my reel in the bag in the hold but i am not taking any of my expensive gear only a cheap reel and rod just in case i get a chance to wet a line while in france with the family.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

what about reels in the luggage that goes in the hold?? not that i am exactly happy about taking my reel in the bag in the hold but i am not taking any of my expensive gear only a cheap reel and rod just in case i get a chance to wet a line while in france with the family.

think you should be OK, but who knows, they seem to make up the rules as they go along

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire