Photo Challenge#37 ... Close Up.

MrWiggly

Just had a quick look and out of 33 pics, only 16 are under 300kb, (I think). (Mine, more by luck than judgement :rolleyes: ).

It's something I've never thought about.

Don't withdraw Steve, wait for Mr Wriggly to sort it out, (good luck Mr W ;) ).

I don't know how many past winners were over the size, so does it really matter?

John.

I've just looked in the last comp, and found quite a few over 300kb, so I would say let it stand, and sort something out for the future comps.

Just my pennys worth.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings All ...

The file size limit of 300kb per picture was imposed , I understand, because of limitations in the file-handling and storage facilities of the original AN. This does not mean that it is not possible to submit larger files .. but in doing so we are using up a lot of AN space !! I am currently in contact with AN admin to see if this limitation still applies, and whether it will be possible to get an increase on the 300kb limit. :thumbs:

----------------------------------

Upon checking the back files of previous pictures submitted (as some of you have already done) it is apparent that a number of pictures have indeed exceeded the file size limit.

Having said that, it befalls upon the Photo Moderators (current and previous) to keep an eye on you lot ... and some large files have indeed gone unnoticed. This is very remiss of your moderators .. and I shall make sure that my wife gives me a sound thrashing later !! :clap2::clap2:

-----------------------------------

In reguard to the current situation ..

N4Nally is indeed right. Technically the rules have been broken, and the oversize files should be disallowed.

However .. In order to keep the continuity and the quality, rivalry,and friendly atmosphere of the photocomp alive, I propose the following .....

No pictures are withdrawn from the current photocomp.

The judges "final three" are still applicable for the vote.

The winner of the vote will be deemed to have won the current photocomp, and their picture will be entered into the photocomp "Hall Of Fame".

This, to me, seems to be the most reasonable solution to this problem.

--------------------------------------------

As to future Photocomps ...

The current rules will be strictly applied. If any picture with a file size bigger than 300kb is submitted, the submitter will be asked to remove or resize the said picture. Is this request is not complied with the moderator will remove the picture.

I appreciated that some members are having problems with file sizing. I personally use "Photoshop CS2" to do my imaging and sizing ... but not all members have this luxury.

I shall be opening , and pinning, a post entitled "Image File Sizing" for members to post questions reguarding this topic ... and trust that other members of this forum , as always, will assist in answering queries.

Wiggly. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Would 800 x 600 pixels not be enough of a rule on its own?? :rolleyes:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Though this doesn't bother me so much ... I can see the 300kb rule being enforced make alot of people back out.

Also, if we upload our picture using places like photobucket, we are not using anglers net space. This 300kb file thing should apply to EVERY picture posted here if its due to a space thing. Looks like alot of pictures are going to go missing if its enforced.

Edited by J.K

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Hi Folks !!

All please read "Picture File Size Tryout" ...

Wiggly. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Steve, DON'T remove your pic ...PLEASE....not a problem for me, and I doubt it's a problem for (almost :) ) everyone else.

n4lly, perhaps it would be better if we scrap the 300kb limit, and just keep to the 800 wide rule? As I understood it, it was to make the pics fit the page?

Den

Ooops sorry guys, what mr. poledark suggest seems the way to go.

I have been setting the Fuji to 1 meg (max) for comp pictures, in the hope that

less than 300 Was achieved with out photoshop. Mr. S Good your picture must

remain, because its its a good picture. Ooops and sorry again :(

Edited by n4lly
1509tarpon_75_.gif

Ooops sorry guys, what mr. poledark suggest seems the way to go.

I have been setting the Fuji to 1 meg (max) for comp pictures, in the hope that

less than 300 Was achieved with out photoshop. Mr. S Good your picture must

remain, because its its a good picture. Ooops and sorry again :(

Hi n4lly

My photo ended up 640 KB (I think) more than 2 photo's in one which I don't understand, and I resized it at photobucket to 800x600 and it ended up at 800x780. My camera is only 1.5 mega-pixel, on the best quailty it takes 2 pictures and 20 at reduced quailty which is the one I allways use, I am surprised I ended up with such a big file size.

J.K resized my photo to under 300 KB and it looked the same (tilt lol) looks like I better go and see how much photoshop is lol more brain ache coming up lol, dam computers.

Still Mr Wiggly has made it easier with 500 KB.

All the best

steve