Setting the clutch on a baitrunner reel

fish_surrey

I've only been fishing for a few months now, but one of the things that I'm still having difficulties understanding is the correct way of setting the clutch on my baitrunner reels. Is there a prefered setting or is it just personal preference?

Fish Surrey

Set the baitrunner clutch as light as possible to suit the day's conditions.

Set the regular clutch as you normally would based on line strength.

Unless you are fishing a bolt rig and in that case, you don't want to use the baitrunner feature at all. Usually.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi

Heres what I do, now depending on the size of the fish in the lake and whether or not i am fishing against snags and other features i set the drag for the biggest fish in the lake. What i tend to do is if i am fishing and i get a slightly smaller fish i tend to let the drag off a bit and then set it again after i have landed ot lost the fish :thumbs:

Thats what i do any road

Hope it helps

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

Unlike the last poster I don't believe the drag should be set for the fish size, rather the fishing situation. I tend to fish mine quite light, probably just a few lb's or so, unless fishing near snags or in weedy swims. Once you have a fish on you can tighten it or slacken it off during the fight. The only thing I would advise is to slacken of a little bit when you get the fish in the margins for netting as that's when surges can pop the hook out. Again be wary of marginal weed and trees etc.

Rob.

Unless you are fishing a bolt rig and in that case, you don't want to use the baitrunner feature at all. Usually.

Er, I thought the whole point of a bolt rig was that the fish hooked itself due to the resistance of the heavy lead and then rushed off in panic, taking line off the baitrunner and setting the bite alarm off.

If that's the USA way, there must be lots of wet and muddy rods and reels for sale on USA Ebay :blink:.

Thanks guys, I think I'm getting the idea now. The only other thing is that I do seem to be losing a number of fish on the take, when I snap back with the rod, the hooklength snaps and I'm using 6-8Ib hooklengths.

Fish Surrey

Thanks guys, I think I'm getting the idea now. The only other thing is that I do seem to be losing a number of fish on the take, when I snap back with the rod, the hooklength snaps and I'm using 6-8Ib hooklengths.

Sounds like you're striking way too hard. Or your knots aren't good (depending where it breaks). Try heavyer hooklengths / main line but try to strike more gently - especially when fishing close in.

Rob.

if you set the drag on your baitrunner to just a couple of pounds of pressure, and are fishing a bolt rig then theres no need to strike at all, the hook should already be well and truly set, striking only increases the chances of snapping your hooklink or causing a hook pull.

steve.