Bream Baits

kleinboet

It might not be very practical but my bigest bream from the Medway(6lbs) came to 5 bloodworm. Its the only venue where I have used bloodworm much that has any bigger bream so I cant compare it to elsewhere but I rememeber a conversation with a guy who fished for Dorking. He regularly used bloodworm in venues where the bream targeted were of a good size both on the hook and as part of his groundbait.

As for the initial problem of catching bigger Bream I think the bait is of less importance than venue. My bigest ever Bream (9lbs) was caught on two maggots where all the other smaller fish(4-7lbs) that day were caught on either three Dendrobenas or two pieces of corn.

Edited by A Worm OOE

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

following on from the excellent Tench bait thread:

I have caught a lot of Bream, but my PB stands at 3lb, which isn't very big!

What baits (and methods!) would you use to get at the big bream?

1500lb of castle loch bream with fish over the scotish record liked 10mm meaty marines fished on the method. :thumbs:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

As Budgie said, bread is the obvious answer, especially as it's easy to flavour. I started prebaiting with it a little while back but haven't yet tried it as a hookbait. Believe it or not bread has barely been used on the Coarse Lake at Wingham! In my younger days the word bread and bait were interchangeable!

Elton, yes I could use boilies but I'd prefer to keep these in reserve for later. They also get too many pike - as you well know from fishing the Carp Lake!

I'm also looking for a suitable particle. Wheat is certainly a possibility, and is a bait I haven't used since my teens. I'll also be visiting my local animal feed suppliers to see what else they've got.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Any others?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

As Budgie said, bread is the obvious answer, especially as it's easy to flavour. I started prebaiting with it a little while back but haven't yet tried it as a hookbait. Believe it or not bread has barely been used on the Coarse Lake at Wingham! In my younger days the word bread and bait were interchangeable!

Elton, yes I could use boilies but I'd prefer to keep these in reserve for later. They also get too many pike - as you well know from fishing the Carp Lake!

I'm also looking for a suitable particle. Wheat is certainly a possibility, and is a bait I haven't used since my teens. I'll also be visiting my local animal feed suppliers to see what else they've got.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Any others?

Try and steep some boiled tares in molasses solution and hair rig them or even add a mild sweetner to the water whilst you're boiling them, has worked for me before on waters that I've fed with lots of hempseed... Does the trick for the Tench too..

Edited by dant

Cheers, Dan!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

following on from the excellent Tench bait thread:

I have caught a lot of Bream, but my PB stands at 3lb, which isn't very big!

What baits (and methods!) would you use to get at the big bream?

My PB is 6lb, caught in the dieing hours of a holiday on the Norfolk Broads. Caught on good ol' floated bread, a cheap-ish rod and 4lb line.

Currently getting lots of small bream on floated sweetcorn and also the method feeder.

As an after thought ive caught plenty of bream (unintentionally) on Maize whilst targeting carp but cant ever remember having Perch or Eels take it.Maybe Maize then? Similar to Sweetcorn but firmer and possibly not as attractive to other species?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

A lot of big bream fall to carp anglers. Have you thought about using boilies, Steve?

I recently caught a couple of Bream on a small fishmeal boilie, so I would agree, give them a try. I did recently watch a Matt Hayes programme and Eels like worm, so I would keep away from them.

Fish Surrey

I have been using artificial corn for the last two spring campaignsfor bream. It felt really odd at first,it doesn't feel right being artificial, but I soon realised it works.

The problem with real corn was I was getting sucked baits and not even knowing about so in effect fishing with no bait. Now I cast out,put the rods in the pod and know that the bait will always be there.

Plus I am fishing pop-up which with a single corn and a piece of rig foam is just right.

And just caught a near 30lb carp too. :thumbs:

Check out my weekly Angling Journal at.....Stewart Bloor's Angling Journal