CANAL ANGLING

Janet

I thought that it was illegal to fish from a boat on BW waters? It certainly is with my angling club membership. I've never heard of our boat licence covering us for angling too. Would be good it it did, but I'd prefer to err on the side of caution!

Janet

Well its covered me on my boat and the local angling club confirmed this to me.

Cant see why you'd think it would be illegal to fish from the boat? How do you think we pike fish rivers from boats?(trolling under power is not allowed but that is all.

If I can deviate a little from the canal theme...

As far as I'm aware re: Rivers.

You need firstly, to always have a current rod licence.

You also have to either have permission from the riparian land owner/a ticket from the controlling club to fish from a boat in non-tidal rivers, regardless of where you are.

Whereas:

On tidal rivers you can fish the entire length, from the sea through to the given upper tidal limit from a boat without gaining permission from anyone, as long as you fish from an anchor/mud weight as opposed to mooring/tieing up to any part of the bank which is above the high tide mark and therefore liable to being owned privately...

I don't think it's possible to own water that is directly tidal or land that is below the high tide mark, this, I think, stems from the Magna Carta of 1215.

Cant see why you'd think it would be illegal to fish from the boat?

British Waterways don't allow it - see Tony's earlier post. We're talking about BW controlled waters here, mainly canals. They may have a different rule for rivers, but I haven't been able to find it!

My local angling club states "Fishing from boats either stationary or in motion is prohibited" but that is just a club rule, and obviously only applies to the waters they own.

Janet

Hi Janet - I held the lease and fishing rights of a stretch of the Coventry canal for 2 years upto the end of last year. From what I was led to believe I only had authority over fishing from the towpath and boaters could fish from their boats without any permission from myself.

I'll try and dig out a telephone number of a fella from BW I know who will put you in the picture.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Ello Ant, not seen you around for a while....hope alls well with ya me old mucka!

Crazily complicated subject this...........me, I'd just bung my rods out each evening and if anyone came along, I'd offer them the necessary shillings or take my rods in if they moaned.