Name of canal

Myster

can anyone tell me the name of the canal in east London that runs from I think its from Limehouse through Roman road past Victoria park through Hackney ???? Thanks and do you know if it is free to fish there ???

"I Feel Sorry For People Who Don't Drink.

When They Wake Up In The Morning,

That's As Good As They're Going To Feel All Day".

---------- Frank Sinatra ----------

can anyone tell me the name of the canal in east London that runs from I think its from Limehouse through Roman road past Victoria park through Hackney ???? Thanks and do you know if it is free to fish there ???

Looking at Google Maps there are a couple of canals coming out of the Limehouse Basin.

http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/history/minor.htm

the one by Victoria Park is listed as Hertford Union Canal and the one coming out east of Limehouse as The Limehouse Cut

British Waterways have a leafleft that lists who owns what section

http://www.waterscape.com/Limehouse_Cut/an...0907;maxn182427

Some are listed as BW owned w/ a £20yr fee but when i rang them they had no way to collect the money so its currently free.

looks like that part is run by London Angling Association (HUC) or Brunswick Brothers Angling Club (LC)

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

I used to fish the stretch of the Regents Canal where it joins the Hertford Union near Victoria Park in the 60s - there were a lot of quality roach, plus some cracking perch, with the chance of bonus bream, tench, pike & eels. I'd heard that it's not so good these days, but it would be nice to know that it was still fishing well.

It used to be as safe as houses there in the 60s, but I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable fishing it now - too many druggies and oddballs around...

lol ok another place thats gone to pot then thanks for your help anyway

i work near the regents canal (which is the one you are talking about). Along with the current trend the canal is not fished very much now apart from a few kids in the summer. its a shame because the fish are still there, when it gets clear you can see small sliver fish and perch along with tench and carp. they used to run matches here about ten years ago but not any more. also i would not fish alone there any more as the tow path can be a bit of muggers alley.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

That's it Regents canal, sounds a shame I remember walking along there to my nan's house from Mare street to Kingsland road as a child, and seeing all the anglers stretched out along the banks :schmoll: shame people mess it up for others as i would've loved to take my boys along there. thanks anyway :thumbs:

:thumbs: cheers mate, guess i'll leave it alone then

I fish the Lee in both Tottenham and Hackney quite a bit and have never had any trouble despite both areas being fairly rough. Don't let others put you off, if you are a bit worried about it then just go with a friend. You are very, very unlikely to be hassled.

I used to fish lots of matches on the canal in East London and can remember very good catches especially around Kingsland road and Camden Lock. I once weighed in two perch for 6 lbs at Kings Cross. The only reason that the match guys dont go there any more is the rise of the Carp puddle and the increase in towpath activity. I walked down the towpath at Camden Lock Tuesday before last, to the swims oposite the TV studios. I drew there once in one of the Raven clubs sunday Opens and had a cracking days roach fishing. it could not happen now, the amount of bikes runners etc would have made fishing an efficient fast match impossible .