anyone have any experience with landrover disco`s

billy50000

Hi all

Anyone here have` or at somepoint in the past owned, a landrover discovery mk1 3.5litre v8 petrol(unleaded)

5 door version?

If so what did you think of it` as a car&4x4

anygood for offroading?:)carefully!:)

not that i intend to jump anything or go offroading BIGTIME,but knowing it can hack it is always nice to have options:)

I know its a v8 and from what iv`e read`it likes its drink:)but what kinda mpg would you say it could get at speeds of say 56mph and not too much town crawling.(5-10mile trips kinda use)

any tips on things too watch out for (its not a rust bucket for a 1991)and thankfully all the welding was done by the last owner(i hope:)

any realiability problems?

The only concern iv`e got is some smoke creeping out the exhust` but bear in mind its been sat at the last owners for afew months or so and its pretty smoke free when its warmed up.

maybe something to do with the strange choice in exhust backbox(twin scorpio`s)i think its not been on long(another reason for some smoke maybe)

got to change the oil `and hope that sorts out the running aliitle rich smell(plus its cold when i smell it)

so far im well chuffed with it and what a v8 noise!!!!!!!almost fouled(not a dump) myself when i heard it start:):):)lol

thanks for all` or any feedback you could give:)

steve

Edited by billy50000

sod everyone else,do it anyway:)

sod duck season lets have tvla season!

capita beware(thiefs with badges)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

I used to have a Range years ago, would pull anything out of the mud, simply dragged them like sledges :)

I once laid it on it's side in a ditch and walked away thinking "they will bury it", but I went back and drove it sliding along on it's side until the ditch bank eased a bit, then a quick flick of the wheel and she came out (a bit scratched and muddy)

If the discovery is anything like that, then it will go anywhere (and come back :) )

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I used to have a Range years ago, would pull anything out of the mud, simply dragged them like sledges :)

I once laid it on it's side in a ditch and walked away thinking "they will bury it", but I went back and drove it sliding along on it's side until the ditch bank eased a bit, then a quick flick of the wheel and she came out (a bit scratched and muddy)

If the discovery is anything like that, then it will go anywhere (and come back :) )

Den

Yup they good.. I pulled one out of a snowdrift a couple of years ago with the Challenger :D

boy was it's driver embarrassed :clap2::clap2:

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hi all

judging by the noise of the v8 id say she would go anywhere`given the right tyres and ride height.

i came out to my garage last night and parked right next to my beast was a modified discovery with another 2 foot extra on mine:)

The four curved light cluster on the front centre bonnet where alttle OTT but cool and it had massive off road tyres:)

and i thought mine was big:(lol

This landy is a tank and its probably the second of the only 2 cars iv`e been gobsmacked by(sizewise)

you sit in the drivers seat and think "can i drive this"

the first was a saab9000i but the dash makes it look bigger.

i couldnt raise the suspension because it would probably ride like jelly:)standard for me:)

sg

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

Hiya Billy,

I got rid of mine about 3-4 years ago. That was a V8, older than yours tho', and to be honest I couldn't fault it in any way, after I did a mod on the cooling fan. I fitted a Kenlow electric fan and then removed the viscous fan thats fitted as standard, made a vast difference on the fuel economy.

I bought mine I suppose on a whim. I have had series Landies for a few yeras and worked on them for a living for 6 years, just as the 110 was being introduced. The company that I worked for did in fact buy several early 110s direct from Rover, but I digress. I bought my disco and expected it to be a Land Rover, not a car, but it was an excellent vehicle. None of the leaky roof's, doors tops, and windows etc. It was quiet, you could have a radio on and hear it without having the volume right up, it didn't smell either, being as it had a proper roof not a "tent" on the top the exhuast fumes stayed outside. The exhaust was a bit of a problem when I had to have a new one, as it was part Range Rover, and when the exhaust place ordered the new one it came as a standard one. When they realised the mistake they had cut the old one off, so had to rush round like headless chickens to get the right one, so that they could free up the ramp for the next job.

I hope that the one you have bought is as good as the one that I had, it was brilliat, but as I said not what I wanted, I should have known really, but there you are.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Hi all

bushwacker `i`m interested in the fan idea(anything to save mpg)

these cars are very nice and its still a landy(not too boxy)

the engine purrs like a cat since i`ve fixed the few niggles it came with(i.e not running at all because of a dead starter)

abit of insulating tape in the boot to fix the last owners handy work(manual fuel pump test)thus the tape!!

he left the wires practically bare and touching!

new front headlight bulb and dip now fixed!

plugs clean and rota arm cleaned and a nice spot of injecter cleaner and she is singing.

got a good checklist going of odd jobs to do.

check brake lines/fuel

piping checks

rust treatments(not allot for a landy(nothing external)mainly inner door spots etc`and surface rust in the boot

treat arches with a rust inhibiter(probably vasaline:)

lots of little things,but in a whole im happy,but alittle nearvy as the gears seem to be abit easy to hit reverse/first

it goes right over for reverse but it also seems to go in close to 1st gear.:(

il get the hang of it,and tame the beast!!!

sg

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

Billy,

get a land rover mag and they will be advertised in there. Mine was a Kenlow, and took me about a hour to fit, dead easy and straight forward to do. But if I remember rightly you get 4 clips to attach the unit to the radiator matrix, and if you goof up you will have to by new ones from Kenlow as they are darn ingh immpossible to remove without destrying them, so be mindfull of that part of the installation. The hardest part to do was removing the old viscous fan (or vicious as we refer to them).

I really couldn't fault the vehicle, it was excellent but not a real landy, too girly for me :rolleyes::rolleyes: heater that works etc :rolleyes: .

I hope it's as good as the one that I had, you will be pleased with it if it is. I will try to find the details of the fan and send them to you if I can find them.

Phill.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Yup they good.. I pulled one out of a snowdrift a couple of years ago with the Challenger :D

boy was it's driver embarrassed :clap2::clap2:

Davy, I pulled a Challenger out the snow the same year, with MY Challenger ...LOL.....The LR Disco is a very good car ....BTW, Big Rocks one is up for sale...£3,500...MOT etc etc .....'P' Plate....:):)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

i got a disco,not v8 :( but 200tdi,been off-roading with a cpl and with goodish tyres bloody handy to have in front of u lol,for its age check the boot floor as they tend to rot away,a good forum to join is www.landrovernet.com lots of guys(and gals) who can help with techical stuff and i think theres a few post about changing the fan

i got a disco,not v8 :( but 200tdi,been off-roading with a cpl and with goodish tyres bloody handy to have in front of u lol,for its age check the boot floor as they tend to rot away,a good forum to join is www.landrovernet.com lots of guys(and gals) who can help with techical stuff and i think theres a few post about changing the fan

Hiya, Fitting a Kenlow fan has been done for years.......I used to have a 1973 SWB Series 3 , and considered changing the 2.1/4 petrol for a Rover V8 ....one of the fiirst things I was told was get a Kenlow fitted, then after that freewheeling hubs ..........that was waaayyyyyyyyyyy back before the internet AND Discovery's existed.

There was only the LR and RR available then.....saw a RR getting pulled out the snow once by a Subaru pickup...:):)

I used to be a member of the Deeside 4 x 4 club, and the Scottish Landroverowners club and some of the help and information available then was amazing....:):)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/