getting a new car

Andy_1984

after screwing up an injector and water pump on my astra ( dont ask how ) im gonna get a new car straight from trade and not private

can get a ford mondeo for around 600 to 700 quid.

how good are these cars after 100,000 miles ?

also on my list are vauxhall cavalier and a vectra

not to sure about the vectra as ive heard they are crap

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

after screwing up an injector and water pump on my astra ( dont ask how ) im gonna get a new car straight from trade and not private

Ask Si.. about Vectras ;)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I can honestly say that Charlie, my old 1.8Li Cavalier, (Charlie... King Charles....Cavalier, get it? My wife is so clever :rolleyes: ), was the best car I ever owned.

I bought it at 6 years old with 65,000 on the clock, ran it for 5 years, until it 'died' last year with 135,000 on the clock. In all that time, all I had to do was keep it serviced my self, (apart from the water pump going while still under warranty (I had the timing chain done at the same time.), tyres, a 'kerbed' alloy, and my neighbour running into me (while parked :blink:). I had 5 years of pretty cheap motoring.

Nice to drive, 40+mpg on a run, plenty of room for tackle, even the odd fridge/freezer. Body work was good, I would have paid for it fixing, but pressure from above decided we needed something 'newer'.

Loved that car :)

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

depends what you want, I'd buy something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-FORD-MONDEO-RED...1QQcmdZViewItem

or this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-FORD-MONDEO-LX-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Get a few months out of it, and buy another. MOT to Feb 2008

I've been buying bangers like this off ebay for a few years now and it is the cheapest motoring I've ever known :)

Including buying, servicing, repairs, MOT's etc I've spent less than £800 on cars over the past 5 years until I bought myself a minibus a couple of months ago.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

depends what you want, I'd buy something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-FORD-MONDEO-RED...1QQcmdZViewItem

or this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-FORD-MONDEO-LX-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Get a few months out of it, and buy another. MOT to Feb 2008

I've been buying bangers like this off ebay for a few years now and it is the cheapest motoring I've ever known :)

Including buying, servicing, repairs, MOT's etc I've spent less than £800 on cars over the past 5 years until I bought myself a minibus a couple of months ago.

couple of months :o i want atleast a year out of it. the 96 model is more to my liking. looks good price on both those cars with an hour to go and both around £200

Not sure what you mean by "straight from trade", Andy. If you mean off a cheap motors forecourt, don't do it. On a 700 quid car, once the dealer has made hit cut, there isn't much left for the car! If you mean you'll get one at trade price, that's different.

If you care about such things, Mondeos are more fun to drive than Vectras.

The Vectra chassis has often been stated as being dreadful.

I'd say that was more fun :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi Andy

I always want a least a year out of a cheap car, but I try to be realistic :)

If I bought one of those 2 for £200 'ish then I know that with a little bit of good luck I can run 'em 'til the end of feb. So that's 10 moths at £20 per month - not too bad :)

They may need a new tyre or 2 at some point - well that's £15 fitted from the scrappy.

Come February I can either stick it in for an MOT, or look for another for the same sort of money. If it fails the MOT there's still a chance of selling it on ebay for £100 or so for spares...

And if you plan on spending £700 that's three and a half cars :)

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Not sure what you mean by "straight from trade", Andy. If you mean off a cheap motors forecourt, don't do it. On a 700 quid car, once the dealer has made hit cut, there isn't much left for the car! If you mean you'll get one at trade price, that's different.

getting a used car from a trader. rather than going private and god knows whats going to go wrong. atleast with a trader you know its going to be fine.... i hope.

i think 600 would be a good price for a mondeo from a trader (ill go in looking for somthing at 400 first) as the last one i seen was 695 and done 124,000 miles on autotrader