getting a new car

Andy_1984

You've got a better chance of getting ripped off going to a trader - that's what I used to do. Bought a few good un's and a lot of lemons :(

Direct from the auctions is not too bad, but these days I just get 'em off ebay.

Traders are making money from the cars they sell. If they buy one at £200, they might have it cleaned, and then sell it to you for £500. If they decide to take a dodgy car as part ex on something they are selling then they need to shift it, so again, bit of a clean and away it goes - only now maybe for a little bit more 'cos it cost them money to get it (lost profit on the one they part ex'd).

Believe me unless you are going to spend some sensible money you are better off taking a risk on ebay, or private sales or auctions. Trust me I used to be a used car salesman :) (honest, I was).

also there are quite a few little faults than can be concealed for a day or two if you choose to do so - traders know all the tricks, most private sales don't know how :)

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Vectra chassis has often been stated as being dreadful.

I'd say that was more fun :D

Depends how much you like understeer, I think :lol:

Do you remember Clarkson trying to review the Vectra and finding nothing to say about it?

If I was plumbing for a cheapish 1995/96 era car I'd go the Primera

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-NISSAN-PRIMERA-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I owned one of these and as well as being very smooth - even at 130,0000 on the clock in the 7 years my dad and I owned it (from virtually new) it never broke down, never failed an MOT (except on emissions once), always gave fairly solid economy, and to be honest we are 'car abusers' - it's certainly not a family tradition to believe in regular servicing of vehicles etc just as a matter of course (probably had 2 services in 7 years).

The other thing is I've had three Nissans now (two micras and a primera) and they've never been any bother

When I sold my 96 Primera on eBay last year it finished at about 600 notes - it wasn't at all perfect, but it certainly wasn't scrappy, and given a good clean, TCUT and a bit of TLC would (and probably is) making someone a very very good car (like the original Mondeos these were reps cars originally pushing 13 to 14k so were built to last!)

Ian

Other thing about Nissans is you struggle to fault Nissan customer service - if you ever need it they are more than helpful with keys, radio codes etc and exceptionally professional about it all.

Ian W

Depends how much you like understeer, I think :lol:

Do you remember Clarkson trying to review the Vectra and finding nothing to say about it?

LOL

I've just read one of his books, Born To Be Riled.

He had plenty to say about it in there :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The main advantage of Fords (and presumably Vauxhalls though I've never had one) is that, by the time they get to the age you're looking at, there are plenty on the scrappies. So not only are the mechanical spares very cheap but even if you have a crash, the chances are that ten minutes on the phone will find you a new panel, door or whatever, even in the right colour. Try doing that with some less "common" makes.

Unfortunately the days when my mum could fault find a Ford engine, have long gone. I think she'd struggle to identify an idle valve fault on a Zetec, but because they are so common there are plenty of websites, forums etc where people have exactly the same faults as you might have - so it's very rare to have to seek professional help.

One word of advice. Whatever you get, especially if it's a Ford, make sure it is recent enough to have an immobilizer and make sure they give you the red key!

Well being an owner of a P reg Vectra 2.5 v6 SRi, I have to say I`m impressed with it. Goes like stink and is comfy to drive.

Some say the later cavaliers were better, but having owned one I`d say the vec is better.

Just don`t try and change the HT leads and spark plugs on a v6 vectra, they`re a bloody nightmare as you have to remove the plenum chamber to gain access to them.

post-903-1177516475_thumb.jpg

Spares are readily available from scrappys for them and you can get quotes from car breakers from this site www.247spares.co.uk

Well being an owner of a P reg Vectra 2.5 v6 SRi, I have to say I`m impressed with it. Goes like stink and is comfy to drive.

I really like that engine. Used to drive a 2.5 V6 Omega occasionally, very nice lump. Bit vocal for something with the Omega's aspirations, but made a nice noise. :thumbs:

I really like that engine. Used to drive a 2.5 V6 Omega occasionally, very nice lump. Bit vocal for something with the Omega's aspirations, but made a nice noise. :thumbs:

I used to have a 2.5 V6 Vectra.....sometimes scary in anything other than a straight line................which made it more fun :thumbs:

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."