Shakespeare & Penn Under New Ownership

Elton

Just had this pointed out to me...

http://www.jarden.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=7239...&highlight=

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Pure Fishing have also been taken over ..............

So thats one company owning 2 of the worlds largest fishing tackle suppliers :wallbash:

http://www.jarden.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=7239...&highlight=

Edited by wirral sea fishing

Read further down, it's not just Shakespeare and Penn.

Abu Garcia, Mitchell, Stren, Trilene, Berkley, Coleman and Pflueger are all on that list of subsidiaries!

:clap2: This will either be great for anglers and angling, or an absolute disaster. The coming together of these great companies could lead to massive savings in R & D, advertising and general overheads, in due course this could lead to lower prices and massive advances in design and technology, or it could lead to a huge monopoly forcing the opposition out of the market place with corresponding price increases and a lack of choice and of course huge job losses. Let's hope it's the former. :clap2:

To be honest Norm i dont think consumers will notice much difference, even if costs are saved it is not normal for them to be passed on to the consumer, but just added to the profit margin and shared in dividends to the directors and shareholders etc, as a major account with both Pure Fishing and Shakespeare it will be interesting to see what we as retialers get out of it, with luck it will end the stupid price war that most of us are involved in at present, and we could startt making some priofit for once.

At this years trade shows some of the companys attempted to end the "deals" in an attempt to stop the slashing of prices on key brands, such as Abu Garcia and JRC products as well as others, seems that this did not work at all as we are all still selling items well below the RRP's (agree these are figures out of thin air at times) Costs to all these companys have been slashed as most products are now produced in the far east, yet the cost to us as retailers and you as consumers has not fallen at all, infact this year seen some rather large increases, cutting our margins back further as the products are still sold at last years prices.........

Read further down, it's not just Shakespeare and Penn.

Abu Garcia, Mitchell, Stren, Trilene, Berkley

Colin,

these companys are all under the Pure Fishing umbrella, same as Gulp and other brands

To be honest Norm i dont think consumers will notice much difference, even if costs are saved it is not normal for them to be passed on to the consumer, but just added to the profit margin and shared in dividends to the directors and shareholders etc, as a major account with both Pure Fishing and Shakespeare it will be interesting to see what we as retialers get out of it, with luck it will end the stupid price war that most of us are involved in at present, and we could startt making some priofit for once.

At this years trade shows some of the companys attempted to end the "deals" in an attempt to stop the slashing of prices on key brands, such as Abu Garcia and JRC products as well as others, seems that this did not work at all as we are all still selling items well below the RRP's (agree these are figures out of thin air at times) Costs to all these companys have been slashed as most products are now produced in the far east, yet the cost to us as retailers and you as consumers has not fallen at all, infact this year seen some rather large increases, cutting our margins back further as the products are still sold at last years prices.........

Colin,

these companys are all under the Pure Fishing umbrella, same as Gulp and other brands

:clap2: It will be interesting to say the least. I think overall it will be good for anglers and angling, not too sure about the retail trade though. Cheaper tackle means less profit for the shops, even if the mark up remains the same. Example, rod and reel, RRP £300, mark up 60% inc. VAT, profit £130 approx. Rod and reel, £100, mark up 60% inc. VAT profit approx £45, so a shop has to sell 3 times as much tackle to make the same profit, how many rods and reels does an angler need? He doesn't buy 3 rods and reels just because they're cheaper. :clap2:

I know of at least ONE man who is happy!! He lives overseas! and is BEST mates with one of the directors of Pure Fishing and his house/shed/toilet will be FULL to bursting with tackle VERY SOON!!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))