River Dove - Local Clubs

Christian T

Hi everyone,

Does anyone fish for the Dove for barbel? I'm going to be moving to Uttoxeter at some point in August and am keen to join a club before so I can start fishing as soon as possible when I arrive.

It would be nice to have a good amount of water to go at with the chance of a double. I'm not fussed about having stockie-ish carp waters on the ticket as well. It would be great to have a go for some grayling in the winter as I'm yet to catch one.

Any advice much appreciated, Christian.

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"

Hi everyone,

Does anyone fish for the Dove for barbel? I'm going to be moving to Uttoxeter at some point in August and am keen to join a club before so I can start fishing as soon as possible when I arrive.

It would be nice to have a good amount of water to go at with the chance of a double. I'm not fussed about having stockie-ish carp waters on the ticket as well. It would be great to have a go for some grayling in the winter as I'm yet to catch one.

Any advice much appreciated, Christian.

Look on the Burton ticket, it's the best apparently. It's a fine barbel river and produces some big fish, but you have to put the time and effort in, Try Rob Swindells for advice, top bloke, and also does guiding.

If you are moving to Uttoxeter then the best local club would be the DVAA see link below which has some excellent stretches on the Dove which are close to Uttoxeter. If you want to move a bit further away then The Burton mutual ticket makes an excellent choice with prime stretches on both rivers Dove and Trent along with some superb still water venues as well. For both Grayling and Barbel, the Dove can be superb

http://www.dvaa.co.uk/

http://www.burtonmutual.co.uk/

Thank you for the advice everyone. If DVAA has the more local waters to Uttoxeter then I'll probably give that ago. That said I hadn't considered the Trent and some of those stretches on the Burton Mutual ticket sound very appealing.

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"

• 1 month later...

I've ended up with a room in Tutbury and am less then 1km walk to the river so am going to go with the Burton Mutual ticket. Walked from Tutbury/Hutton bridge up to Tutbury weir earlier. Looks like a lovely stretch of river, lots of shallows throughout, guessing any barbel might be quite well shoaled up. Will hopefully get out with a rod in the evenings in a week or sos time. Can't wait to give the infamous Trent ago as well. Exciting times.

Fished the dove a few weeks back with some friends (for the first time), had some nice grayling, trout and small chub. It was a short evening session so i'm looking forward to doing a propper session on there myself, maybe when the covers died down a bit.