bag recomendations

chesters1

i need a dedicated bag for my sea fishing gear .i bought a Mustad surf rucksack and was surprised at its size when it arrived yesterday (why cant they put the sizes in the description) its huge and totally useless for my needs (i might use it as a tent ):rolleyes:

all i need is a bag that's waterproof that will hold 2 v large fixed spools ,several boxes for the usual beads and nicknack's and have a separate compartment for bait ,some pockets for spools and sarnies and a handy outside pocket for a rig wallet.

it will need to be strong enough to hold plenty of wired weights and straps so i can carry a chair.

in reality what i have bought in error but a 1/4 the size.

PS got a mustad surf rucksack spare W.H.Y.

any recommendations and i prefer under £20 not above

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Them mustad bags drop to bits chesters - probably a blessing you dont like it. One lads was finished after the first session.

Plenty of bags on the market these days. Have a look at the Imax range - the 30 ltr isnt a bad one.

Maybe take a look down the local army and navey - Normal rucksacks are just the same apart from they dont have a fishing trademark printed on them - probably cheaper too.

30 litres is huge :o

the imax boat box looks OK (the price doesn't) but the dimensions are never given.

i'v tried "over the counter" bags but they all leak or are so thin the wires on the weights go through the material etc.

its not a rucksack (now i'v seen the size of this one) i need but a large rigid bag , the rucksack is for dedicated overnighters where i fish my mrs can chuck anything i need that i have forgotten over the cliff.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Bought a Leeda tackle bag,waterproof with protective rubber base,4L approx vol, for use on the boat (sea.) Looked good with four nylon zips. Washed and dried at end of season. Total rubbish now,all four zips sliders corroded and useless in the open position.These zip sliders appear to be an aluminium alloy which is neither compatable with salt water or washing powders. Not worth complaining to Leeda in NI as previous complaints fell on deaf ears! :wallbash: Bag is now useless.

Safety habits last a lifetime.

I broke one of the Mustad bags within a few trips, and have now reverted to Karrimor rucksack. Easier when climbing down to difficult marks, much more robustly built, and easier on my back.

Weights, wired or otherwise, go in the bottom compartment, so if they ruin the waterproof lining, which they will do, its not a problem.

Plastic clips on most compartments eliminate the zip problem, and remaining zips coated in vaseline, a tip given to me by an old fisherman.

Millets, or somewhere siilar, have loads of different sizes, and usually a few on sale.

B.A.S.S. member

Imax bag are excellent and agree with most of the previous posts - dont touch the Mustad ones!!!!!!!!!! :schmoll:

I wouldnt send my kids to school with one as a school bag, absolute rubbish they are!!!

I have two replacements and they just kept falling apart, zips breaking, seems splitting and the large grab handle fell off aswell. This was each time on their virgin trip each filled to half capacity with gear. I even wrote to Sea Angler raising concerns that they give them away as prizes!!! Says something you know.

Cant fault the Imax bag - well worth the money.

:thumbs:

which one?

far too big :(

all i need room for is 2 big fixed spools ,6 weights ,a few boxes of bitsnbobs ,bait in a seperate compartment ideally openening to the outside and a few outside pockets for stuff ,the imax bait ones unfortunately have easily damaged cool liners so only useable for err bait.

i only need a middling sized one as i only walk to the sea and only for that tide from the camp site a 100 yards away ,tried buckets ,bags and cantilevered american trash and the such but they either get wet in the rain or waves ,something small enough to hang on a chair out of harms way.

the imex boat bag looks ok but i havent a clue to its size and its far overpriced for plastic from china , i got the unfortunate mustad one for half price plus post so not to bothered its crap (itl be used for something else).

ideally i want a bag with a compartment on top for my gear and underneath a coolbag which opens fully at the front with a plastic deep tray in for the bait ,all joined together with pockets ,straps and bottle holders and under £20 ,i cant see why anglers put up with bags they either have to empty to get stuff out the bottom or leave half out so you can use it to keep the bait out of the sun ,when a wave is hurtling across the platform at you you dont have time to repack everything

Edited by chesters1