missed bites

geddon

Hello

I had a very frustrating days fishing today.The pond where I fish is notouriously hard for anyone to get a fish out of it even tho many carp can be seen on a nice day.Anyhow this is what happened today.

I fitted my carp rod with a polaris float and set a sliding ledger rig with a 1/2 oz weight stopped on a rubber bead before a swivel.Attached to the swivel was my 8 IB braid hooklength and on the hook was sweetcorn.

The day started promising with me getting big bites where the float would go under the water entirely only when I struck there was no fish or resistance at all.this happened all morning untill in the afternoon the bites stopped and I gave up.

So I got the bites but just cannot get the fish.Is it my hooklength which was about 8 inch or should i fit the ledger to be fixed and not sliding altho someone told me that would not work with a polaris float.

If possible I would really appreciate someone posting a rig an how it's setup with the lengths an all as I'm very new still.

All help will be much appreciated thnx

Hello

I had a very frustrating days fishing today.The pond where I fish is notouriously hard for anyone to get a fish out of it even tho many carp can be seen on a nice day.Anyhow this is what happened today.

I fitted my carp rod with a polaris float and set a sliding ledger rig with a 1/2 oz weight stopped on a rubber bead before a swivel.Attached to the swivel was my 8 IB braid hooklength and on the hook was sweetcorn.

The day started promising with me getting big bites where the float would go under the water entirely only when I struck there was no fish or resistance at all.this happened all morning untill in the afternoon the bites stopped and I gave up.

So I got the bites but just cannot get the fish.Is it my hooklength which was about 8 inch or should i fit the ledger to be fixed and not sliding altho someone told me that would not work with a polaris float.

If possible I would really appreciate someone posting a rig an how it's setup with the lengths an all as I'm very new still.

All help will be much appreciated thnx

Sounds like you were getting line bites maybe ??

When carp are moving it is common to get a lot of bites that result in nothing because they are simply the fish swimming into the line. This could have been made worse by using a float that brings line up in the water at a time when fish are showing near the surface.

With regard the rig, why are you using a polaris? there are a few circumstances where I can see a use for them but only in very specific situations. To my mind they are just a complication and a hinderence though I must admit to having used them very little.

Tell us more about the nature of the venue that you are fishing and I am sure someone will be able to come up with rig sugestions, but all we know at the moment is that it is a pond with some carp.

Edited by A Worm OOE

The pond I fish is about 6ft all the way round with lillies and reed around most of it.The spot i fish is in a gap in the grass quite close into the bank.So instead of casting I more kind of plop the wait in:).There is no island in.I will try an post a pic tomorow.

I use the polaris because I don't want to use a bite alarm or invest in a quiver tip so I thought polaris would just go with my carp rod nicely.

Yep I think line bites knocks was what was happening.

Anyhow once again advice is much needed on rig and anything else I should know.

The pond I fish is about 6ft all the way round with lillies and reed around most of it.The spot i fish is in a gap in the grass quite close into the bank.So instead of casting I more kind of plop the wait in:).There is no island in.I will try an post a pic tomorow.

I use the polaris because I don't want to use a bite alarm or invest in a quiver tip so I thought polaris would just go with my carp rod nicely.

Yep I think line bites knocks was what was happening.

Anyhow once again advice is much needed on rig and anything else I should know.

If you are fishing close in and in 6 foot of water , a normal float rig would suffice . In fact , i'd go as far to say , it would actually help . Using a carp rod does not mean you have to use a big float !!!

Keep it simple - Maybe a piece of peacock quill ( oh Yeah...old skool :thumbs: ) with a single SSG shot approx 6 inches from the hook. Set the rig slightly overdepth , with the shot on the bottom and then tighten up to just cock the float . Hopefully the bites will be shown by the float lifting and laying flat , caused by the fish picking up the bait and lifting the shot at the same time. It can be quite exciting

If you are fishing close in and in 6 foot of water , a normal float rig would suffice . In fact , i'd go as far to say , it would actually help . Using a carp rod does not mean you have to use a big float !!!

Keep it simple - Maybe a piece of peacock quill ( oh Yeah...old skool :thumbs: ) with a single SSG shot approx 6 inches from the hook. Set the rig slightly overdepth , with the shot on the bottom and then tighten up to just cock the float . Hopefully the bites will be shown by the float lifting and laying flat , caused by the fish picking up the bait and lifting the shot at the same time. It can be quite exciting

I'll give this a go tommorow.Nice an simple just how I like it:))

Guest tigger
I'll give this a go tommorow.Nice an simple just how I like it:))

If the fish are on top you're probably better trying fishing on top or near the surface, try floating bread or buiscuit. Somtimes if you throw a few floating casters in and cast amongst them you do ok.

By the way the polaris floats are very good and when you get used to using them you'll enjoy them. The polaris float will show lift bites as good if not better than anything.

As you say in a later post you were fishing close in, then congratulations on not spooking the fish ! You have made the first two important steps - find the fish and avoid scaring them.The commonest reason for not catching close in is that the fish have gone 'cos the angler was not keeping quiet and still.

If they were there all morning, but left in the afternoon, that suggests they had finished feeding. Try again tomorrow morning.

Take nomadpaul's advice (small float, one shot, hook - nowt else), but if you still get the "line bites" then fish a bit overdepth so that the line comes in at a low angle to where the fish are - and increase the hook to shot distance a bit.

Good luck

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...