Photographing aeroplanes in flight

Snatcher

Done a quick photoshoot on my way into work today."Things that fly" is the photo challenge on another angling forum so decided to try and photograph planes landing/taking off.

Never done this before and was not sure what settings to try :headhurt::headhurt: Parked up at the eastern end of Newcastle International Airport and set up my tripod at this vantage point

Myvantagepoint.jpg

Decided to go for AV for my first shot.The first plane came over and I found that the tripod was more of a hinderance than a benefit. Discarded that and held by hand and went for rapid fire mode and also zoomed in as far as my dear Canon Powershot compact would allow me. The results are not brilliant but here are the best of the bunch.

The settings were AV F4.8 1/1500 ISO800

EasyJet.jpg

Thompson.jpg

Jet2.jpg

Overhead.jpg

Oldfashioned.jpg

Weeone.jpg

DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duck.jpg

What settings would you have used for this? I know that the sky looks almost white on all of them. The thing is I really enjoyed it. Next time I think I will stand about 100yds to the side and try and get more fuselage in the shot.Comments more than welcome please :thumbs:

Just noticed "earoplane" :bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

G'day Snatcher,

Great shots.

Whats great about photos like that is you can go change that sky to a deep shade of blue if you want to.

My son is training to be a Pilot and so we will be spending more time around airfields, little ones. With the few shots HB has taken already, he was more interested in how the sky looked than anything else. I wonder if a sky with a lot of cloud formation would detract from the aeroplane at all. Bet you had a headache after that!

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

G'day Snatcher,

Great shots.

Whats great about photos like that is you can go change that sky to a deep shade of blue if you want to.

My son is training to be a Pilot and so we will be spending more time around airfields, little ones. With the few shots HB has taken already, he was more interested in how the sky looked than anything else. I wonder if a sky with a lot of cloud formation would detract from the aeroplane at all. Bet you had a headache after that!

Yes it was a "tad" noisy,i may use ear defenders and a flash hood if I try it again :bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

An ideal oppertunity for some good shots will be Sunderland Airshow. It is on 28/29 July this year if anyone is interested. The red arrows normally wrap up the show each day. I would recommend getting there early each day if you want a good vantage point.

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Cheers John,still got ringing in my ears from it :unsure:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Pardon ? :secret: What was that you said ?

"What"??????????????????????????????????

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair