what the hell just happened

Andy_1984

Was watching the loach just now. Started swimming on its side then just keeled over on its back curled up and started sort of going in to a seizure and let out what can only be described as a fart with air coming fom its arse

Sounded weird as hell!

His mouth and gill plates were wide open as though some sort of cramp (couldnt close on its own by looks of it)

Just as quickly as it started it finished amd now is just mooching about on the bottom.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy,

Foreign bodies in the intestines (i.e. a stick crossways). Carp vomit like that. It is yellowish most times when I've seen it. I don't know if the live or die.

Phone

Assuming this is your weather loach, it was probably just voiding air that had been used for intestinal respiration. I've seen them perform an s-curve when getting rid of it, what you describe isn't quite normal but as long as the fish is behaving otherwise normally, don't worry. Might have been waiting for someone to pull its finger. Check your filtration and surface agitation, if it's using atmospheric breathing regularly it might indicate you need to raise DO.

I know you Scots like your curries Andy, but you'll have to stop feeding the curried ants eggs to them. :yucky:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

no joke, happened again about an hour ago. stuck my face up to the glass for a look(aye aye get the jokes in quick), it freaked out and prety much went ballistic in the tank and predictably seized up exactly as before and sank to the bottom on his back mouth wide and gill plates open wide.

this time he did sort of fart but with no air bubbles but the sound was quite loud, kinda like a slow high pitched fart we would do in a bath. thats as best as i can describe it.

this is most bizarre.

Lol. No idea what its gender is. I try nit to say he or she it jst automatically comes out as he.

The pic is also a little decieving as it does look fatter than it actually is. Lost a wee bit of weight past two weeks i reckon. Thankfuly today though its eaten about half a pea (with the thinking it maybe need a bit of a flush through)

No freak outs or fainting since yesterday but a little concerned its been sat in the corner since.