The Tackle Shed!

Rice Crackers

Hi everyone. Not been on here for a while as I've not been fishing due to gear in storage ahead of a pending house move, anyway...

I've lived in flats for ten years, but now having got married and with a little lad on the way, we've just exchanged contracts on a house, which means for the first time since I was a kid I'll have a garden, which means I'm going to do what I've always promised myself I'd do and get a shed just for my fishing gear. Probably with a table, chair, a little bait fridge and a radio too... Just really can't wait to have all of my stuff organised, accessible and in one place...

So does anyone out there have any advice as to how I should go about doing it? Any ideas about storage? How do I stop mice destroying my nets for example? Anything I should completely avoid doing? Any kind of storage system worth getting hold of?

Hope this doesn't seem like a silly question but I don't really know where to start...

Thanks

Pete

Agree with Andy. Not only that, but don't keep all your tackle in the same place (some of mine I keep in the Isle of Man and some in Tasmania!)

Most of my gear is well used, and refurbished by me - which means it is in effect customised and thus easily recognisable - and I have photographic evidence of much of it.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

you will never stop people pinching stuff from sheds but you can make it difficult

buy a shiplap shed not wavy edge, screw every bit together not nail *especially the roof) fill the screw heads with araldite then paint the lit,reinforce the frame especially round the door.bars on windows and black out windows

use security screws on the hinges screw through the original frame into the new one ,screw the frame onto the floor.

buy a 6ft locker and screw it to the floor and frame ,remove the shelf this will hold your rods ,buy a steel trunk and screw it to the floor and frame this is for the rest .

sounds overkill its not but buy a decent padlock and alarm ,better off put it in the loft dont forget to use the alarm

unfortunately with battery powered disk cutters the old fashioned padlocks are obselete buy an armoured one with the hasp within the lock once on the shackle its hard to cut ,poundland padlocks take seconds to break you need hardened everything

unfortunately now crims have more rights than their victims chemical detterents are risky to use nowadys

cctv is handy you can double the blow by SEEING your stuff getting nicked the rozzers wont do a damned thing but give you a crime number they prefer to pick on motorists than actually solve crime nowadays

as for friges few work in cold temperatures so pick one wisely or switch it off in the winter

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I agree, keep all but the smelly stuff in the house where it's safe, my neighbour has had his fishing tackle stolen from the shed at least twice :(

If your missus complains, inform her you'll be putting one of her rings/necklace/whatever (make sure it's very expensive) in the shed with your tackle, then if thieves come calling and make off with a few hundred pounds of fishing stuff, they'll also get your wife's stuff too. It's amazing how fast they see sense :D

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Agree with above as unfortunately nowadays outside shed + fishing tackle = prime target for tealeaves. Happens all too often and, I think, is driven by the sell-on market at car boot sales.

Keep everything except smelly stuff in the house.

Our chief weapon is surprise