Gutted -took my son fishing...

Unimexsol

Took one of my sons fishing today. We went to a spot where I regularly catch plenty of small silvers and the odd decent perch and small pike. It's not his very first time fishing but he very rarely comes. Conditions seemed almost perfect, we got there at about 6ish (when it is usually a catch a chuck) and we fished with maggot on a small hook.

Did we catch anything? Did we buggery! The fish were there, whenever I threw in hookbait they were up on the surface taking them but I tried everything. Varying sink times, different depths, different colour maggots, casters, leaving the bait, twitching it. Do you think anything worked? It was just one of those days! Obviously we were doing something wrong but I'm jiggered if I know what.

My son didn't complain though, I'm really proud that he didn't complain once of being bored (he's 15 and at that age I think everything that the parents do is BORING!) we packed up at 9pm and he did say that he would come fishing again despite blanking tonight.

I'm just gutted that despite my very best efforts neither of us could catch. It wasn't just us, my brother in law joined us at about 7ish and he blanked too.

Damn those pesky fish - anyone would think that they don't want to be caught!

I'm hoping to persuade his twin brother to come with me on Sunday for a couple of hours, I just pray that we have a bit more luck.

Guest Rabbit

Fished the same way yesterday. All the fish were feeding at various depths, but mostly very near the surface. We did catch plenty but had to vary the waggler depth from time to time, anything from four feet to just 18'' Although we were catching 'on the drop' , most of the bites were coming after the No: 6 shot had settled. The float was a large 2 swan crystal for distance, and the hook was a fine wire Kamasan size 14 tied direct to 4lb main line. Bit heavy I know but the odd carp can show. I sprayed about 6 maggots every cast around the float. In my opinion the most crucial part of the set up is the fine wire hook, the Kamasan BS525 pattern are brilliant . Also I dont over feed, keep them competing.

Not trying to tell you how to do it, I am sure you are competent, just sharing a few ideas.

Best of luck next time.

Pike could the cause for complete inactivity. I've had some cracking sessions which have very quickly switched off because a pike has moved into the vicinity. No matter what you do, it seems that you simply cannot switch the fish back onto feeding. When this happens, I usually up sticks and move onto another swim to see if the inactivity is localised to one particular area or not. Either way, it's not worth scratching your head and wasting you feed/bait.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

In my opinion the most crucial part of the set up is the fine wire hook

You could be right. I remember years ago fishing for rudd over the edge of a weedbed. I was fishing and feeding casters, and could see the rudd taking the freebies. Time and time again they would take every caster but the one with a hook in it. They would shoot towards it, perform an emergency stop at the last instant, and then turn away. I wonder how often that happens when we can't see it?

Guest Rabbit
You could be right. I remember years ago fishing for rudd over the edge of a weedbed. I was fishing and feeding casters, and could see the rudd taking the freebies. Time and time again they would take every caster but the one with a hook in it. They would shoot towards it, perform an emergency stop at the last instant, and then turn away. I wonder how often that happens when we can't see it?

Interesting, just what they see I dont know. Could be the line or perhaps the way the bait drops down through the water. I have used very fine hooklength and these Kamasns BS525 pattern hooks, and I must admit my catch rate has improved. Positioning of dropper shot is also a factor and some times they respond with no dropper shot at all!!

Interesting, just what they see I dont know. Could be the line or perhaps the way the bait drops down through the water. I have used very fine hooklength and these Kamasns BS525 pattern hooks, and I must admit my catch rate has improved. Positioning of dropper shot is also a factor and some times they respond with no dropper shot at all!!

Did you try fishing with nothing on line & watching the line for bite indication used to fish like this years ago for roach,dace&bleak on the rivers.

Cheer's Larry

http://www.larrysworld.co.uk

mailto:larry@larrysworld.co.uk

Guest Rabbit
Did you try fishing with nothing on line & watching the line for bite indication used to fish like this years ago for roach,dace&bleak on the rivers.

Ahh floatless leadless, yes I have done that and still do with meat for carp in the margins mainly. But trouble is I cant cast a single maggot very far on a lake, perhaps I should dust off my fly rod...now theres a point!!