Garfish

VSTOL Lures

With all the excitement about the impending mackerel shoals I'd just like to share the fact I LOVE lure fishing for Gars in the summer. Such a wily fish, and bloody hard to hook (bony beak) and great fun on light tackle. Obviously, you get a fair few macks when spinning for gars too!!!

So if your out and about this summer, ditch those feathers and chuck on a spinner and see if you can't get urself one of these elusive creatures.

Visit http://www.vstol.vstore.ca UK based suppliers of artificial lures for sea, game and coarse fishing!

One fish that I have yet to catch :(

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I caught my first one accidentally years ago when spinning for mackerel with a toby spoon! I've found if you know were the mackerel shoal is, fishing at the periphery of the shoal gives you the best chance of hooking one as they feed on the fringe of the mackerel shoal, picking off dying and fleeing baitfish.

They are great fighters too! I've had gars leaping about 2 feet from the water. Apparently they taste great too, but I've never tried (some people are put off by the green bones apparently!!)

Visit http://www.vstol.vstore.ca UK based suppliers of artificial lures for sea, game and coarse fishing!

I used to love fishing for macks and gars on freshwater gear on holidays down south when I was a kid. They both go like hell on a match rod and three pound line. It was like "little game fishing", the macks fighting deep like tuna and the gars jumping all over the place like sailfish. Great fun! Always used to depress me watching the "proper sea anglers" dragging them in on feathers :rolleyes:

Best method is a light float and 1.5lb barbel rod, I like a 6g piker float personally as it allows more distance. Get some groundbait in, simple mix of bread, bran and fish oil of some sort and the gars will be there. If you start catching macks then the float is set too deep, keep it from 2 to 6ft deep.

My little sis came fishing with me and family last summer and she had one just over a lb on my barbel rod, 14lb braid and light f/s reel, superb fun!! She did moan a bit about her arm being pulled off or something.

best fight lb for lb on light gear in the UK.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society