WHAT boilers CAN be fitted NOW?

Chris Goddard

After looking at Chesters system I was of the opinion that ALL boilers fitted after a couple of years ago (April 2003??) HAD!!!® HAD!!! to be Condensing Combi boilers??? Or was I misinformed by CORGI???

You was. Last april it changed.

I'm not a heating engineer but you can fit a system boiler that works on a conventional system, cylinder and tank and is the same size as a combination. You can't have a back boiler like baxi for example as i have, so as it's so good i will have to keep it until i sell the house or rip the house apart to replumb. :headhurt:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Barry! I had thought that ONLY condensing boilers could be fitted and so was not particularly unhappy at relinquishing my CORGI registration!

Tigger, YES condensing boilers ARE as bad as you have heard!! VERY unreliable as the technology is not yet proven really! Be sure to take out a breakdown insurance with BG is all I can say!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Not being funny but unless you allow technology to be proven then progress is never made forward. CLEARLY a combi is a better option for the environment and your wallet since over time on conventional systems you certainly find yourself heating two tanks of water a day, when indeed some days you may well use very little domestic hot water.

For example, a person like me with an electric shower and a cold feed dishwasher will in fact not require ANYTHING LIKE the amount of hot water produced in a day on a conventional system. In fact some days I suspect I could well use virtually none besides hand washing water in the basin...

Furthermore they take up far less space - I have no tanks in my loft anymore so can now utilise the space the feed/expansion and header tanks took up, and the boilier cupboard has now been shelved to the floor (where the cylinder used to be), making it a far more useful space. Our boiler has been running four years to date without any trouble at all, except an exploding pressure vessle which occurred within a couple of weeks of installation - and yes - whilst I accept that isn't ideal, I am a realist and accept that in the modern world we do sacrifice an element of workmanship in favour of mass-production and lower consumer prices.

I also have to say on our combi (compared to the old conventional boiler) rads heat up a LOT faster and in fact get dangerously warm! Whilst this may be a negative to some (we've had to fit rad cabinets for the nipper), it is actually very welcome when you come into a cold house and want to get some heat running quickly!

Scale is a problem for combis - fit a water softener and it's not a problem. As someone who contracts IT work for a local water treatment company (www.pozzani.co.uk), I have to say its surprising how few a people consider their waters chemistry when looking at their overall cost of living (kettles, irons, dishwashers, washing machines, boilers, the additional expense of cleaning products etc). For £350 you can fit a water softener costing £6 a month to run....yes an up-front cost, but for a recurring bill of £70 or so, probably a very good long term investment!

Ian W

Scale is a problem for combis - fit a water softener and it's not a problem. As someone who contracts IT work for a local water treatment company (www.pozzani.co.uk), I have to say its surprising how few a people consider their waters chemistry when looking at their overall cost of living (kettles, irons, dishwashers, washing machines, boilers, the additional expense of cleaning products etc). For £350 you can fit a water softener costing £6 a month to run....yes an up-front cost, but for a recurring bill of £70 or so, probably a very good long term investment!
I know that in France nearly all new builds have RO water softeners installed. It definitely makes a difference. My mother-in-law lives in an area where the water is very hard. She has a RO softener in the basement. It is quite a big thing, about the size of a 12 place dishwasher, but she suffers very little from limescale. Her boiler is a traditional type, but it also is in the basement. It is huge as it has an integral 150l hot water tank.

just sticking me oar in as usual ,just don't mention otters or the french ;)
I heard that ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Uk I at NO time knocked combi boilers I don't think? BUT condensing boilers have been around quite long enough to have ALL the creases ironed out and yet they still rank as the number one beef from installers!! Well that and all the crud you have the learn to actually fit ANYTHING relating to GAS!! But as we all know ANY idiot can walk into B&Q purchase ANY sort of gas appliance and fit the damn thing with impunity as long as no-one finds out about it!! And hard water is bad for ANY appliance using water NOT just boilers!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

And hard water is bad for ANY appliance using water NOT just boilers!
Absolutely. It is murder on dishwashers, washing machines, showers and any other device that heats water with an electric element. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Not being funny but unless you allow technology to be proven then progress is never made forward. CLEARLY a combi is a better option for the environment and your wallet since over time on conventional systems you certainly find yourself heating two tanks of water a day, when indeed some days you may well use very little domestic hot water.

For example, a person like me with an electric shower and a cold feed dishwasher will in fact not require ANYTHING LIKE the amount of hot water produced in a day on a conventional system. In fact some days I suspect I could well use virtually none besides hand washing water in the basin...

Furthermore they take up far less space - I have no tanks in my loft anymore so can now utilise the space the feed/expansion and header tanks took up, and the boilier cupboard has now been shelved to the floor (where the cylinder used to be), making it a far more useful space. Our boiler has been running four years to date without any trouble at all, except an exploding pressure vessle which occurred within a couple of weeks of installation - and yes - whilst I accept that isn't ideal, I am a realist and accept that in the modern world we do sacrifice an element of workmanship in favour of mass-production and lower consumer prices.

I also have to say on our combi (compared to the old conventional boiler) rads heat up a LOT faster and in fact get dangerously warm! Whilst this may be a negative to some (we've had to fit rad cabinets for the nipper), it is actually very welcome when you come into a cold house and want to get some heat running quickly!

To keep this discussion going. Over twenty years ago i fitted a back boiler and conventional heating system. The hot water cylinder twice the size as normal was fitted directly above the back boiler, with the cold water storage tank directly above that albiet not quite poking through the roof. Our water is also very hard. If the hot water is not set too hot there is no problem with scaling. i have never seen any. The result is constant hot water that is heated up only on demand. Two showers, one upstairs and one down that work on gravity only, and no need for a power shower off the mains that uses as much electicity to run the whole house while it is being used. Thirteen rads as i like a very warm house in the winter. The boiler is set at 60% of it's capacity. The modern combination boilers, particulary the high output ones, are very good but bear in mind a lot of it are switches, boards that inherantly when they go wrong cost money. If you pay a good sum for a good boiler, ie high output, you will get more than enough hot water, but if something does go wrong you will need the right company to fix it.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

For what it is worth I had a combi boiler fitted about four tears ago when the old Baxi back boiler exceeded its sell by date by about fifty years. Fair enough I have had some problems with it, including recently when it took a week to fix a leak, but I would put a lot of that down to poor workmanship on behalf of British gas who have the service contract for it. Also I live in a very soft water area. As proof the element on a five year old electric kettle is as shiny and new today as it was when I bought it.

Despite the problems though I would say that it has been worth the money. Apart from the fact that I have no longer got a loft full of smelly tanks valves and pipes waiting to leak or block up at the first opportunity it has reduced my running costs by at least a half or more overall and in the summer months by two thirds. You never run out of hot water which is particularly helpful in our house when of a morning four people are often in line for the bathroom and shower within an hour or so. The radiators are turned down because of the heat they give off and their rapid warm up time. Overall the system is far superior in my opinion to the old back boiler.

I may be barking up the wrong tree but I do not think that an RO unit as in reverse osmosis would be a good idea at all. From what I understand from my tropical fish keeping they strip everything out of the water leaving just a simple mix of oxygen and hydrogen. If one is installed on the incoming mains then it would be very expensive to run as they only produce about twenty per cent pure water for eighty per cent waste. The other problem is that when I looked into the possibility of putting in a whole house water filtering system a few months back, mainly to get rid of chloramine etc. when I change the water in my fish tank and top up the garden pond, the advice from the filter firms themselves was that it was not a good idea as it would leave a large amount of unprotected water lying in pipes etc. providing a happy breeding ground for all the nasties that would be otherwise removed.

Do not forget either that hard water for all its problem causing with plumbing is supposed to be better from a health point of view than soft.

Edited by Alan Hammond

A Hammond

Corgi is a bad word in my house lol every year for the past 3yrs i have been adviced that my ventilation is inadequate according to Corgi............only lived here for 16yrs and had boiler(warm air)serviced by BG since entry and we have never experienced any probs so how do they justify that its inadequate,tell u why and the same applies with a condensing boiler,plumbers and central heating fitters have to be registered with Corgi and pass their tests and apparently its not cheap so they make up all these cans and can`ts so you get a Corgi registered cowboy out,so he can make up his lost money that he paid to Corgi.........simple :wallbash:

Odd thing this hard water/scale problem. I always understood that if the temp was kept below about 150F then no scale gets deposited?

Certainly NEVER had any on washing machines in 45 years, NEVER had any on dishwashers in over 20 years. NEVER any in electric showers in over 30 years.

Most, if not all, dishwasher and washing powders contain a softening agent.

I am talking Thames Water/ Southern water, both hard water areas.

I also did a fair bit of plumbing in my 40 years at work :) and never found any scale problems anywhere.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic