Several hours trotting after tea today....

Tigger

I had a few hours on the river this evening with quite good results. I was lucky to get two doubles ! Some of them had signs of spawning and the lone chub looked worse for wear after having it's sexy times. I had a salmon and a few quite large trout that put up fantastic scraps. I finnished up with twelve barbel, the two doubles where 11 lb 4 ounce and 10 lb 2 ounce, a few pic's from the session....

barbel16.jpg

barbel1.jpg

barbel3.jpg

barbel4.jpg

barbel7.jpg

barbel11.jpg

chub14.jpg

barbel2.jpg

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 4

Great stuff as always. I am going to have to follow you one day to find these spot ;)

I am planning on getting a load of trotting done this season after a long time away with work etc.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Thank's for the comments gent's. Some days we get lucky and that was one of those lucky days for me.

I was thinking about your recent session Viney and it reminded me of the times when i've have seen barbel stacked up in swims, watched my bait hit them on the nose and slide along their bodies but they just wouldn't take my moving bait. I noticed a small small group of fish coming up stream and watched as they dropped their noses down to the bottom and I realised they where sucking my swetcorn from between the rocks. I took off my float and pinched on a couple of swan shot a foot up my line from my hook. I put two or three peices of corn on the 14's hook, threw in a handfull of corn justy upstream so it landed infront of me and then let my bait settle amongst it. Within a few minuites another small group of fish was moving upstream and the same as before they started dipping their heads sucking up the corn. I actually watched them take my bait before hooking them.

So what i'm getting at is the fish may well be there but they're just not having the moving bait. You could try fishing well overdepth and letting your bait slowly drag down stream or leger for 'em...just a thought.

That's interesting, I always assume they will take a moving bait. I've got some floats being made at the moment that will be ideal for fishing really over depth and stretpegging

They often readily take a moving bait but on some occassions they won't touch one and want it static, no idea why. I've found they can be taking a trotted bait for a spell and then just switch off and as soon as I switch to a static bait they take it.

There's a few good floats available on the market, I like the Steve Maher carbon stemmed avon bolo and the Woodys alloy stemmed bolo avons. For the majority of my trotting I use them in 4 or 5grm. The wire stemmed Woodys floats are better in fast choppy water.

Edited by Tigger

I so look forward to your diary Tiggs ( Mods, come on there's a regular featurette staring you in the face here, give it it's own section ), 'proper' fishing, great pics..............I think I love you ! :wub:

However, get that bloody plastic off yer rod handle before you bugger the corks !