Perch Livebaiting Rig

Rusty

Can anyone recommend a good, simple and safe one? It’ll be used at close range in gently flowing water about 10 feet deep so it’ll need to be anchored. I’d prefer to watch a float rather than listen for alarms so something based around a Drennan 28gm sliding pike float would be handy (I already have one of those), mainline will be mono. I’ve fished the venue a couple of times and ledgered lobs have produced perch to two pounds so I want to see if livebaiting tempts something bigger.

A brief explanation of how it works would be great too, I have zero knowledge of these things.

Thank you

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Yes!!! I will draw the rig myself and I have used to good effect on the Thames. I would suggest you don't use a float for bite indication but rather use a bobbin on a long drop, I would worry that float is too heavy and big perch would drop the bait.

Its a CD or VB rig essentially. Here are some examples. The key to get it to work well is using anti tangle sleeves and fluorocarbon, if you use too light line or non fluoro it will tangle....

post-560-0-65285600-1435227640_thumb.jpg

post-560-0-77498100-1435227644_thumb.jpg

p.s. don;t use drop off indicators you will send your life trying to set them just right and will either strike at the flow pulling the line out of the clip or spend your life watching perch drop the bait due too too tight clips!

Use a light bobbin on a really long drop! I'd be very happy to show you the rig in person if you fancy a perch session together somewhere!

You can use alarms if you wish but you don't have to!

Agree with Rich 100% - we spent ages getting livebait rigs to work well at the Thames and the CD rig was the clear winner. Initially it looks complex but it isn't really. Include a weak link between the end of the pat link and the lead in case it gets jammed with a PB perch on the end...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If I wanted to watch a float on slow moving river I'd be tempted to use a very large loafer, 5SSG+, and let the float and bait gently trot down the swim. Very easy to then methodically search the whole swim and present the bait at different depths until you found the perch!

Mat

• Like 2

Mat

Thanks very much for those suggestions, it would be good to see it in action Rich so I might well take you up on your kind offer. In the meantime there are some things about the second picture in your post that I’m not sure about.

Do I need to use fluoro mainline to the inline swivel or will 8lb mono be ok? If mono is ok where would I put the anti tangle sleeve?

I can see why fluoro is needed from the inline swivel to the hook but is it also needed from the sliding barrel swivel to the weight (I see why a weak link would be good)?

Finally, what stops the livebait from swimming away giving false bites? Does the bobbin need to be heavy enough to stop that or do you just put up with it until a proper bite comes along (is that the reason for the long drop bobbin?)?

Sorry for the questions, I’ve seen JV44 use something similar and it does look very complicated when he winds in so I just need to understand what each bit of it does.

Andy_1984 – It’s a stretch of the Thames so I’ve no doubt pike will be present but from what I’ve seen in three trips ledgering lobworm and from what other members have said the chances of a pike are slim, perch are everywhere. I’ll be using a single hook without a trace, if I get bitten off then I’ll re-think.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back