when does the season end?

***Simon***

is it soon? reason i ask is that i have been speaking to pike anglers and they have told me their going on their last trip of the season! is it just the pike stop feeding or what?

cheers

always look on the bright side of life

the season for pike usually (at least in our club) starts in october and ends when spring approaches ,another reason ofcourse is the pike will be getting ready for spawning and should be left in peace to get on with it

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Simply simon, these days the season never ends! Traditionally pike fishing starts in october and ends in march but the majority seem to disregard this.

There has also been reports of numbers of anglers fishing on the rivers, ilegally out of season.

It all adds up to IMO a farse, there are of course waters that do not have a close season, though this doesnt mean some species such as pike should be targeted year round, just that some short sighted people see it as their oppertunity to catch such species year round!

Guest tigger
the season for pike usually (at least in our club) starts in october and ends when spring approaches ,another reason ofcourse is the pike will be getting ready for spawning and should be left in peace to get on with it

I would imagine most pike will have spawned some time ago now so I can't get my head round why you shouldn't fish for them through the summer.

To be honest the Pike put up a much better fight in the summer/ warmer weather and I really can't see what harm it does to them if there handled and treated as they should be when caught at any time of the year.

Just my opinion that is.

I would imagine most pike will have spawned some time ago now

True

To be honest the Pike put up a much better fight in the summer/ warmer weather

again, true.

I really can't see what harm it does to them if there handled and treated as they should be when caught at any time of the year.

Just my opinion that is.

Bravely spoken, and I hope you have your helmet and flak jacket ready :rolleyes:

Far more damaging than catching pike in summer is the advice from "experienced" pike anglers to target the big hen fish in early March when they are to be found in the weedy shallows feeding up ready for spawning.

....and these same people go off to pike fish in Ireland as soon as our own pike season closes.

There is a certain aspect of making a "virtue out of necessity" in condemning summer pike fishing - the same fish that was well over twenty pounds in March is now a lean and mean 19 lb, and so in our weight-obsessed angling culture is not so highly regarded.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I would imagine most pike will have spawned some time ago now so I can't get my head round why you shouldn't fish for them through the summer.

To be honest the Pike put up a much better fight in the summer/ warmer weather and I really can't see what harm it does to them if there handled and treated as they should be when caught at any time of the year.

Just my opinion that is.

I'd have to agree with that

Caught a couple of nice doubles last weekend and I've never seen pike jump so far out of the water!!!!

Guest Rabbit

[There has also been reports of numbers of anglers fishing on the rivers,

Yes, and for some it is legal :thumbs:

The season on rivers in England and Wales finished on March 14th. There is no closed season on still waters in England and Wales and no coarse fishing closed season in Scotland (or Ireland).

Even up in Scotland, pike have finished spawning by early March, often even earlier, so in the days when the closed season applied to all waters down here, it was traditional to go up north piking from March to May.

There are people who fish for nothing else but pike year round, but a lot of anglers fish "seasonally" and will now probably be turning to tench and carp fishing. This not strictly because the pike have stopped feeding, but because the other fish have started.

Spot on Vagabond, says it all perfectly.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Spot on Vagabond, says it all perfectly.

Den

I'll second that sentiment, Hammer, nail...Bang! :thumbs:

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John