Insect repellents

Myster

Andy, thanks for the link to the Neem site, and to you Chris for the endorsement. It's not a product I've tried.

Wingham is so bad for mozzies that anything is worth trying as long as it doesn't put the fish off, as I'm told Deet-based formulations can. I rarely actually get bitten with Skin So Soft, but the mozzies still buzz round without landing.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry about spraying it directly onto your face either Steve. Just close your eyes, hold the bottle about 8 inches from your face and give it a squirt. It's not greasy, doesn't leave a horrible residue and it's really refreshing when it's warm. Smells quite nice too. Kind of similar to tea-tree or something.

Seriously good kit.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Jungle Formula is the best by far in my opinion

This has been a useful read. Only the "Heavy duty" Jungle formula contains DEET. The standard formula is DEET free. Certainly in mosquito country we find we need DEET. However DEET has a couple of side effects I can do without. It can irritate skin and also dissolve plastic. I agree about covering up as much as possible.

Thanks for the info about the Avon Spray and Neem. I will give anything a go. We are planning a trip to the West Coast of Scotland next month so need to have a good stock of repellents for those hungry midges.

Fairly high doses of vitamin B complex tends to help quite a bit in making you smell unpleasant to the little critters (or something) and has the added effect of making bites you do get itch less and for a shorter period of time.

I begin to double up on the amount of B I take when the bug season starts each spring and often don't need any sort of repellent unless they get really aggressive..

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

A good tip I saw on an old JW program is to spray a load of repellant on a piece of cloth and wrap that round your neck rathering than plastering yourself in the stuff.

I've always used Autan but there must be more effective ones by now because Autan's been going for forty years that I know about!

Guest tigger

The only trouble with putting chemicals on your skin is you don't know what they can do to you like skin prob's and other nasty things in future (allergies and more serious things). I know that sounds a bit paranoid but I just don't trust these things. At the end of the day I don't believe they tell you exactly what the ingredients are.

I reckon try and cover up as much as poss and suffer a few bites if you can cope with them.

Autan spray on wrists, neck and ears and wear a hat of some kind that will stop insects getting in your hair. Wear long sleeves and make sure you legs are totally covered.

Careful not to breathe in when spraying, it'll choke you!

That usually keeps me bite free.

Our chief weapon is surprise

Got to say I tend to react VERY badly with Mozzy bites!! Even been hospitalized in the past due to them!

I used one of the little electronic things a couple of years ago and got just the one bite in around 3 weeks of fishing at a time when everyone got bitten. So in my opinion WELL worth trying! Sold a lot be the HK sellers on Ebay.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))