Wingham Fish-In Sat May 19th to Mon May 21st

Steve Burke

Amazing that places are still available, it's a fantastic looking lake and plenty of wildlife around.

Fished there 2 years ago and caught a PB Perch of 3.06. Have failed to get any Perch over 10 oz since.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, regarding long banksticks - and this may be contrary to the spirit of Wingham! - would an alternative tactic be to use some kind of (safe, of course) semi-fixed bolt rig instead of a running rig, negating the need for a long drop of the bobbin? I've never caught a big bream but the smaller ones seem suckers for this.

It's never done me any harm although I usually fish one running and one semi-fixed - I caught my bream on a Method Feeder using backleads to avoid liners. ;)

Edited by Rob Ward

Have fun everyone I expect to read reports of Wingham records being broken when I get back.

Also keep an ear out for the Cetti's Warblers you might get an idea of the population denisty by identifying birds heard from different swims.

Tony

We'll be doing a new count fairly shortly, last year there 6 pairs. Certainly there's more than last year. However it's complicated by the females possibly singing as well. Have you any info on this?

Each individual seems to have a slightly different call, with a few variations thrown in for good measure. I always think the initial long explosive note is like "Here!", and after the pause the other notes are "kitty, kitty, kitty". However sometimes there's only 2 or 2½ "kitties".

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I can't believe Steve's not having to turn people away already! I just looked on Metcheck and it looks like a repeat of last year's weather, strong westerlies and a mix of sun and rain.

How's it fishing at the moment Steve?

Also, regarding long banksticks - and this may be contrary to the spirit of Wingham! - would an alternative tactic be to use some kind of (safe, of course) semi-fixed bolt rig instead of a running rig, negating the need for a long drop of the bobbin? I've never caught a big bream but the smaller ones seem suckers for this.

As I say though, it may not be in keeping with the place :)

The fishing is slow at the moment due to the water temperature having dropped sharply (59.5F/15.2C at the windy end of the lake, 61.0F/16.1C at the calm(er) end.)

After an early start to spring everything in the lake is well behind normal due to weeks of winds mainly between N and E off the cold North Sea. Whereas inland it's been very warm, it often hasn't at Wingham! The perch haven't spawned yet, and there's almost no weed. We've even got a winter duck (a goldeneye) that hasn't yet flown north, the latest we've ever recorded one.

Turning to the bream, it's not the end rig that's important here (bolt rigs being fine by me), it's line bites much nearer the rod. In some swims it may be feasible to use back leads, and these may help a little. However the very uneven bottom means that even these are rarely the answer. It's not a problem that's peculiar to Wingham, many waters containing big bream are the same.

What is definite from experience though is that if you set your rods low (modern carp style) you'll much reduce your chance of a record bream!

P.S. As an example see for instance http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...&hl=wingham

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

We'll need it! Should have exchanged contracts today to move on the 23rd. Buyer suddenly wants to delay for another month, take it or leave it. This would probably collapse the chain. So we offered 500 quid off if he exchanges tomorrow and completes for the 23rd, he says that he'll do it for 1k. Turns out that's what he wanted all along, gazundering b******. :angry: We'll try to pass half of it up the chain, which I feel bad about, but it looks as if it's going to cost me a grand to not go to Wingham.

Ouch! :blink:

I am afraid that I won't make this year due to my mother going in hospital on the 22nd :(:(:( Maybe next year?

Sorry to hear that. Hope all goes well.

It's never done me any harm although I usually fish one running and one semi-fixed - I caught my bream on a Method Feeder using backleads to avoid liners. ;)

That swim is one of the few where, fishing straight out, backleads would be viable at Wingham as it's relatively flat after the drop off to the bar. However a backlead only reduces the risk of liners, it doesn't eliminate them. Having your rods set high then reduces striking any liners that you do get.

I'd therefore recommend rods set high in every swim, coupled with backleads in appropriate ones.

In case any one missed it, follow the link I added as a P.S. in my last post.

Steve how long is a long drop? How high are your rods off the ground? Does this mean the rod tip it a long way from the waters surface?

Rich

I like a drop of at least 2½ feet, in which case the front bankstick would be roughly that far off the ground and the bite alarm immediately in front of the 2nd rod ring (i.e. the one next to the butt ring). The bobbin is then attached to the front bankstick.

I have the reel set at or just above waist height, with the rear bankstick immediately behind the reel seat. It means standing up to strike, but that's no problem as I sit back from the rods anyway as it gives time to determine whether the bite is a real one or a liner. Additionally fast striking is very rarely necessary, and indeed can mean missed bites - which are hard enough to come by anyway. Indeed, many of the big bream experts advise you to sit on your hands!

I certainly have the tip of the rod below the water when floating weed etc causes a problem. However the lower you have the tip the less the drop on your bobbin and/or the higher the reel, so it's all a matter of compromise.

When I'm forced to resort to the tip being below the surface, the rod would be pointing down at a steep angle and the reel may be even higher than normal. This has been standard practice with many specimen bream anglers for many years (if you've got Derek Quirk's bream book see the photo on page 94).

By the way, I load the cord of the bobbin with extra swanshot to counteract the undertow and, much more importantly, for there still to be sufficient weight to drop back down smartly after a liner. In windy weather I rest one or more of the swanshot on the ground to stop them swinging about. You need to test how many swanshot are required for them to drop back on the day, and may have to vary the number as conditions change. This week I had to use 12 swanshot on 2 of the rods!

I can't believe it but as I post there are still plenty of spaces left! :huh:

I'll be drawing a line at 9.30 on Monday morning so that everyone knows whether they've got a place - but I think it's fairly safe to say I'll be able to accomodate everyone who's booked so far. I'll also take late bookings if there's still room.

Bait orders will need to be in by 9.30 Monday morning as well. BBQ orders by 9.30 Friday morning. I'll add bait and BBQ orders to this post later.

I'll update this post regularly but so far I've had the following book. If you haven't sent me back your questionnaire please do so asap.

If I've missed you out my apologies but please contact me asap.

Anthony78 - no bait - Sun BBQx2

Medwaygreen - 1x lobs - Sun BBQ

Poledark - 2x dendras - Sun & Mon BBQs

Ted - 1x dendras - Sun & Mon BBQs

Colin R (maddog) - 1x lobs + 1x dendras - Sat & Sun BBQs

Seph- 1x lobs + 1x dendras - Sat & Sun BBQs

Anderoo - 2x lobs - BBQs every day

John Block - no bait - Sat & Sun BBQs

Cousin Steve - no bait - Sat & Sun BBQs

Jedibond - 2x lobs + 1x dendras - Sun BBQ

Dales - 1x lobs + 1x dendras - Sun BBQ

Richard Capper - 1x lobs + 1x dendras - BBQs every day

Badexcuseforanangler - no bait - Sat & Sun BBQS

Alan Stubbs - 2x lobs - Sat BBQx2

Elton - no bait - Sat & Sun BBQS

Si - no bait - Sat BBQ

Budgie - no bait - no BBQs

Leon - no bait - Sat & Sun BBQs

Meatballs - no bait - Sat & Sun BBQs

Wyeknot - no bait - BBQs every day

Rob Ward - 1x lobs + 1x dendras - Sat & Sun BBQs

3 Doors Down - no bait - BBQs every day

Edited by Steve Burke

We can't make it either this year :cry: Matthew has to go away and we are still bogged down with football. Mind you when we didn't make it last year everyone was catching so I'm hoping with us not there this year it will have the same effect.

I will be looking forward to seeing all the photos :thumbs:

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!