Flavouring maggots

Steve Burke

Guest Rabbit
I am experimenting at the moment, yesterday I used turmeric had a good day with plenty Carp, Chub and Crucians. I've also used VDE liquid pellet or Scopex. Matt Hayes says flavoring maggots is useless because it quickly washes out, I swear it gives me an edge.

If Matt Hayes says its useless I will go along with that. However if you feel it gives you an edge than it probably will.

Would be interesting to know if you switch from non flavoured to flavoured when fishing and log the results.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a tench addative try Mr braddocks maple plus or his tench magic, only mentioning it beause its the 1 he palmed me off with in December when i asked the very same question lol.

Edited by markp

Steve (or anyone else!), do you have a preferred and trusted flavour for tench?

I'd give VDE Predator plus a try, at one time they used say pigs blood was a must in ground bait for Tench, Predator plus is an easier option.

Shaun, Still learning how to fish.

For a tench addative try Mr braddocks maple plus, only mentioning it beause its the 1 he palmed me off with in December when i asked the very same question lol.

Thanks Mark! Did you try it? Any good?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Got some in my tackle cupboard smells lovely{the maple}, just cant find a decent bloody tench venue close to home lol but yes i have tried it on some shall we call less productive waters {crap to you and me} and i did get the odd small fish. Pm me if you want his phone number.

Edited by markp

The fairly reliable rule of thumb is savoury flavours in the colder months and sweet flavours in the warmer months. When the seasons overlap, you simply take a bit of both and see which of the two works on the day. It works for me.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Steve (or anyone else!), do you have a preferred and trusted flavour for tench?

My first choice woiuld be something fruity. This early in the season I'd be on pineapple on at least one rod, when it warms up someting less strong.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Matt Hayes says flavoring maggots is useless because it quickly washes out, I swear it gives me an edge.

Are you sure it was Matt? I've known Matt for some 20 years and he has certainly been an advocate of flavours for much of that time. Indeed, he recommended flavouring maggots in his book and gave a list of his favourites. If you're right he's had a recent change of heart.

Liquid flavours certainly don't wash off, although they lose their strength. They also evaporate. For this reason, on a long session you need to top the flavouring up. How much by? Well I do it by smell, something that comes with just a little practice.

The maggots (well live ones anyway!) eat powered flavours like spices and thus never lose the smell or taste. They therefore certainly don't wash off.

By the way adding the right amount of flavour, especially liquids, is important. Too much can actually turn the fish off. It's therefore best on an untried flavoured to start at say half the level recommended unless you know it works at full strength.

However, I've found you can overdo some but not all flavours in cold weather - when the fish often prefer something stronger anyway.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Are you sure it was Matt? I've known Matt for some 20 years and he has certainly been an advocate of flavours for much of that time. Indeed, he recommended flavouring maggots in his book and gave a list of his favourites. If you're right he's had a recent change of heart.

Liquid flavours certainly don't wash off, although they lose their strength. They also evaporate. For this reason, on a long session you need to top the flavouring up. How much by? Well I do it by smell, something that comes with just a little practice.

The maggots (well live ones anyway!) eat powered flavours like spices and thus never lose the smell or taste. They therefore certainly don't wash off.

By the way adding the right amount of flavour, especially liquids, is important. Too much can actually turn the fish off. It's therefore best on an untried flavoured to start at say half the level recommended unless you know it works at full strength.

However, I've found you can overdo some but not all flavours in cold weather - when the fish often prefer something stronger anyway.

If I remember correctly it was in a magazine article (IYCF) when he was fishing for Chub on a weir last summer.

Shaun, Still learning how to fish.