New hobby

philpolish

Hi all seems a very friendly forum so I thought I would post.

I need to take up a hobby I used to fish many moons ago so i thought I would give it a go.

I have not got any of my old tackle so I will have to start again I will be starting of coarse fishing . I used to mainly fish lakes so that is where I will be starting. I would like to hear from anybody with any recommendatations for a starter set up kit preferably from an online source. Also is there anybody that lives in North Yorkshire that could give me some ideas of places to fish as I do not originally come from this neck of the woods.

Thanks in advance Phil.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Phil, can't help but I thought that a welcome might be a good idea.

I kept all my old gear, until I discovered E.Bay. Amazing prices, now I have lots of newer gear! One thing is for sure, new gear is good, and the prices even better.

Welcome from me as well Phil.

I'm in the same boat as Peter without a single bit of real help to offer but hopefully someone will be along soon who knows that area.

As to the startup kit - are you wanting rod & reel or pole and about how much did you want to spend?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Phil and WELCOME!!

I live too far away to be of help as to where to fish, but as the others have told you, check Ebay for tackle, or look at the tackle for sale forum here. The folk on this site will be only too happy to give you advice on what to buy and how much is a good price!

Tight lines!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Welcome to AN Phill. Never been a better time to buy good gear at a low price.Try and get some advice local to you as to what sort of fishing is available before you decide what to buy.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hello Phil

I'm assuming I don't live too far away from yourself as I live in Redcar Cleveland which was once part of North Yorkshire so if you could say where you're from then we may be able to point you to some good lake or pond fishing close to home

There are quite a few from deepest darkest North Yorkshire on here

Hey Phil, hope this helps, try having a look in the Argos catalogue. They have some surprisingly good fishing sets in there.

Great to see another returning angler.

Tight lines, & have fun

Huw

Strike!!! What????

Hey Phil, hope this helps, try having a look in the Argos catalogue. They have some surprisingly good fishing sets in there.

Great to see another returning angler.

Tight lines, & have fun

Huw

Hiya Phil!! Welcome to A/Net!! But PLEASE do not visit ARGOS!!! they will sell you ANYTHING they have!! BUT will NOT sell you any bait, will not give you advice, will not buy back your old tackle to help you to upgrade. All in all avoid ARGOS like the plague!!

As has been said already, where are you from? If you can supply this info KNOW of several lads and lasses who would be MORE than happy to help you out with GOOD advice and where to get some DECENT tackle!!!

Tight Lines matey!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I would like to hear from anybody with any recommendatations for a starter set up kit preferably from an online source.

Hi Phil

Plenty of us (re)newbies here. You'll find this lot give great advice.

Knowing a little more that I did when I started fishing again last year I would probably go with all-round match type rod with a test curve of 1.5lb and a match reel with a couple of spare spools of different line capacities.

There was a thread a while back 'if you can have just one rod what would it be'

If I remember right I think most people favoured an Avon-style but you use the search you'll be able to find what was actually said.

some buying advice threads:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=62495

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=72199

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=72739

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony