Pike Dead Bait

Errrm

Hi,

Recently I have started fishing for pike again after about a 15 year gap, on the local pond that I fish on there seems to be quite a few pike taking fish up in the water, how would you hook a dead bait when fishing mid-water? Normally I would put the bottom treble in the flank and the top treble in the tail but will this present the bait correctly, or would I be better presenting it like a live bait, or even hooking it so it is floating on it's side ( top treble in flank ) to try and represent an ill fish? Any help would be great?

Errrm

Like this....Click on the pic for a larger view.

post-1784-1178664310_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Looks about right Andy if your using snap tackles

I usually fish deads head down with one treble and a couple of bait bands round the tail if I'm fishing mid water which isn't that often....I've had the most luck with popped up deads, particularly mackerel fillets.

Exactly the same as when the bait is on the bottom!

Despite head to head trials I've never found it's ever made the slightest difference whether the bait is horizontal or not. After all fish not infrequently suspend head down (yes they do!). Secondly, if everyone is presenting suspended deadbaits horizontally then doing something different may just give you an edge.

One of my favourite presentations is a sunken float paternostered deadbait (whole or half). By varying the tension on the line I can determine the depth the bait is presented. Increase the tension and the float and bait will be pulled nearer the bottom, and vice versa.

What's more, changing the tension can result in movement to the deadbait, and with less chance of pulling into weed etc. This movement often results in an immediate take, even on a dour day. It also means that you can try different depths without recasting.

Suspended deadbaits are a versatile but little used tactic and one of my most successful. Good luck, and do let us know how you get on.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've had the most luck with popped up deads, particularly mackerel fillets.

I'm intrigued, I can see a lot of advantages in using fillets over whole/half fish, but it doesn't seem to be quite coarse fisherman like if you understand what I mean. Anymore info? Anyone else use fillets?

Edited by Sipadan

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

I'm intrigued, I can see a lot of advantages in using fillets over whole/half fish, but it doesn't seem to be quite coarse fisherman like if you understand what I mean. Anymore info? Anyone else use fillets?

A friend of mine laughed at me when I started doing it but when I started catching he soon changed his opinion. I've fished this method in a gin clear reservoir as well so obviously the look of the fillet doesn't put the pike off at all....I think the fact that the bait is 'open' if you like helps spread the oils from the bait as well.

I kind of got the idea from some articles I read about Mick Brown using hair rigs and single size 4 or 6 sea/catfish hooks baited up with just chunks of deadbait instead of whole/half fish baits. If it's good enough for him then it must be good enough for the rest of us!

A friend of mine laughed at me when I started doing it but when I started catching he soon changed his opinion. I've fished this method in a gin clear reservoir as well so obviously the look of the fillet doesn't put the pike off at all....I think the fact that the bait is 'open' if you like helps spread the oils from the bait as well.

I kind of got the idea from some articles I read about Mick Brown using hair rigs and single size 4 or 6 sea/catfish hooks baited up with just chunks of deadbait instead of whole/half fish baits. If it's good enough for him then it must be good enough for the rest of us!

Cheers Neil. I think you're right about oil dispersion. I only use singles when bait fishing for pike and I'm sure a fillet would be better for hooking up over a whol/half fish.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHH..................Oil dispertion. My nemesis.

How come when me and other Pikers suggest injecting oils, we are told that oils are a waste of time, because oil, in the words of other Pikers, floats to the surface, therefore serving no purpose? BUT

When someone suggest using fillets for instance, everyone agrees that this is a great way to disperse oils.

You cannot have it both way chaps. Does oil float away, therefore serving no purpose whatsoever or does it not?

So from what I can can gather, injecting is waste of time because the oil floats away, but it's ok to use fillets because it disperses the oil to wonderful effect. Can't you lot see this is a bloody contradiction this has been going and on and on and on. Oil is oil.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Hi,

Recently I have started fishing for pike again after about a 15 year gap, on the local pond that I fish on there seems to be quite a few pike taking fish up in the water, how would you hook a dead bait when fishing mid-water? Normally I would put the bottom treble in the flank and the top treble in the tail but will this present the bait correctly, or would I be better presenting it like a live bait, or even hooking it so it is floating on it's side ( top treble in flank ) to try and represent an ill fish? Any help would be great?

Errrm

Also try frozen pilchars (not only is it a good bait but its also cheap) . Use a running running lead with a sliding knot on the main line. I like to put the middle treble on the bottom and the top treble on the flank of the bait. Make up a small piece of wire with a clip-on swivel on the one end and a pop-up on the other. Then with a baiting needle pull the clip-on swivel through the mouth of the bait and clip onto your bottom treble. I have a bag of small white cableties in my box and use them to zip-tie the wire to the tail of the pilchard (they get soft quickly) to help secure the bait. Adjust the sliding knot at the depth you want to fish off the bottom (the pop-up will pull the baitfish up untill the running lead hits the knot). Hope that helps

Good luck :thumbs: