App for saving pics/video

Jim Murray

Looking for an app which must:-

1. Save photos/video from the iphone to cloud storage using wifi only, enabing viewing on the PC.

2. If possible, at the original resolution, eliminating need for backups.

Nice to have:-

Ability to organise them on the PC into folders, which would be replicated on the iphone.

I already have Flickr & Photobucket accounts - would anyone know which is best or suggest an alternative?

Google Photos

Just need a free google account and job done!

Gives 15gb free storage at full resolution or unlimited storage with Googles own compressed format ( which is exceptional quality I must say)

App available on iOS, android, and Mac and PC.

Allows auto back up, organisation into albums, search by date and automated keyword groups : IE mountains, cars etc, sync between all devices, auto edit of photos, automatic creation of stories or animated gifs of a range of photos etc

A quick and very simple hack can be used to also activate facial recognition search and grouping.

Can be linked with Picassa on PC and Mac.

Also links direct to Google Drive to allow for easy creation of photo folders and organisation.

Only minor muggle is that you can't direct link to images; IE link them to show here as an image instead of a link.

I use photobucket still to do that

Edited by kirisute

If you go into settings, iCloud, you can turn on cloud storage for your photos here;

C1B4BA6D-4FD8-44A4-A3B9-3932B891A833_zps

Then install iCloud on your PC, sign in, you should see all your photos.

I can't use icloud on the work laptop so that's out. Maybe Google photos - but what about Flickr, is it not designed for such a purpose.

I've got it already on my phone, so enabled the upload option. However it's stuck at "Uploadr processing 1 of 596" - doesn't seem to be working too well.

Flickr mobile can be very finicky.

I've never had issues with uploading to google photos via wifi or even 3G/4g

iCloud backup is acceptable but lacks features other than simply backing up.

As much as I loathe to admit it ( I'm not a fan of Googles data gathering etc) Goggle have hit a pretty good home run with the new Photos app and api's.

There new file compression is pretty bloody impressive and the unlimited storage space with it is a chocolate covered sweet if ever there was one!

Yes you accept the data gathering and api testing but in all honesty the product is bloody good.