Cheap rod or kit

davewalnut

Hi there,

I'm quite a novice fly fisherman and could use some advice on some kit. About 10 years ago boughtt a telescopic rod, reel and box of flies from a mate; with little success!

Following numerous house moves I came across my rod again broken and I haven't managed to locate my other (minimal) gear. Can anyone recommend to me a cheap travel (not necessarily telescopic) rod or a very cheap kit including everything the fly fisherman needs?

Thanks in advance.

Following numerous house moves I came across my rod again broken and I haven't managed to locate my other (minimal) gear. Can anyone recommend to me a cheap travel (not necessarily telescopic) rod or a very cheap kit including everything the fly fisherman needs?

Whereabouts are you intending to fish? Big rivers? Small streams? Reservoirs for big stockie rainbows? Lochs for small wild brownies? And does it really have to be a travel rod, or just something small enough to leave in the boot?

Whereabouts are you intending to fish? Big rivers? Small streams? Reservoirs for big stockie rainbows? Lochs for small wild brownies? And does it really have to be a travel rod, or just something small enough to leave in the boot?

I'm intending to fish smaller rivers and probably smallish reservoirs. Something I could fit in a large rucksack or suitcase for when I'm travelling or walking would be handy; if not a standard rod would suffice for now.

Cheers for the response.

My standard advice is to have a look at the Shakespeare Odyssey rods - something round about the 9ft mark and maybe a 6wt or so would probably do as a decent all-rounder. Mullarkey's has the 9' 6/7wt two-piece for £24, although that would be a bit of a stretch to get in a suitcase! They also have an Expedition 9ft 6wt seven-piece for £43, which looks as if it would do the trick. As for reels, I really would say the cheaper the better. As everyone says, unless you're fishing for bonefish or salmon or something similarly rowdy, all they do for the most part is sit there storing your line. (I honestly can't remember the last time I even played a fish off the reel, let alone used the drag!) If you can though, your best bet really would be to find a decent local game fishing shop and go in and see what sort of package they could put together for you.

• 1 month later...

Take a look on ebay.Lots of travel rods on there.

I brought one to sling in a suitcase,about £20 or so plus pp-5 piece in hard tube.It was rated 5/6 but performs better with a 7 weight line.For what it cost and its very occasional use its fine.

The shaky travel rods have a good name and there are many many four piece rods out there these days.

• 1 month later...

Well how much is cheap?

You can't go wrong with the Shakespeare. But if you want a rod for life start looking at the Grey's Missionary which are being reduced at the moment (7 peices) or even the Orvis travel rod (that isn't cheap). The good thing with Greys is they have a life time unlimited warranty, so you could have got a replacement for the broken bits for the cost of postage.

For me the go to rod is a 9' #5. Good for medium rivers and perfectly good enough for still waters.

Carl

http://www.wandlepiscators.net/

http://teiseangling.co.uk/index.htm

'Success has many friends and failure many orphans'

Clinton

Well how much is cheap?

You can't go wrong with the Shakespeare. But if you want a rod for life start looking at the Grey's Missionary which are being reduced at the moment (7 peices) or even the Orvis travel rod (that isn't cheap). The good thing with Greys is they have a life time unlimited warranty, so you could have got a replacement for the broken bits for the cost of postage.

For me the go to rod is a 9' #5. Good for medium rivers and perfectly good enough for still waters.

Would thy be Carlos :D :D

Carl, if you can WAIT a couple of days I have several fly rods in my shed!! AND reels and flies and...........Just moved to France (TWO years ago!) so not got sorted yet!! And over to UK in 3 weeks and I would be able to do you a CHEAP kit!!!

Or opposed to that a kit that WOULD be cheap!!! NOTHING too flash reel wise!! But I have lines and flies and RODS a plenty!! From a 5# to a 9#.

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))