Problem with playing DVD's on DVD player!

Chris Goddard

I have a stand alone DVD player and have been sent some DVD's which are in AVI format. The player tells me that there is NO disc in it?? I then altered the format to .vob. STILL no disc inserted!! Sorry disc IS IN JUST SAYS IT IS EMPTY!!

Any idea what to do next please??

Incidentally, the dvd's WILL play in both formats in the laptop.

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

the avi files need converting to dvd files ,converting to vob files might not be enough / compatable enough ,the resulting files need the correct info files as well as the video files to work in all players ,whats needed is software to write the video & info files in one operation leaving the video_ts folder needed to play on standalone players etc

here is a free avi to dvd tool (converts any video format) Quick Media Converter ( QMC 3.5.7 )

http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/

personally ,i got a dvd player that also plays avi's/divx/mp4 movies (put on data dvd's 5-6 at a time) which is scarted to my standalone dvd recorder so i can convert the movies direct in real time ( however long the movie runs for ) divx dvd player's available from aldi's,tesco's & argos great to just play the movies on or as a medium to transfer from.

argos dvd player with divx/avi

tesco dvd player with divx / avi

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Thanks Chavender!! Converting as we speak!?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

STILL showing disc as empty??? Converted to DVD Disc shows as an Mpeg???

Chris Goddard

i use convertxtodvd

converts anything never had a failure it'll even burn it depending on which version you get hold of

Edited by jimpy0

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

STILL showing disc as empty??? Converted to DVD Disc shows as an Mpeg???

Change the brand of disc you use Chris......works for me

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

right then grab this ,before it dissapears I'll remove later on as its naughty

http://rapidshare.com/files/96487536/TMPGE....174_Retail.rar

choose free user ,then weight (theres a countdown) 30-40 sec then hit the download button when it appears

its the best dvd authering program ,it'll let you load up your divx file then create a menu then it does all the converting to the proper format (vob files with the ifo ,bup files then burns the dvd

I use this software for my dvd projects ,you can edit the movies with this as well as add subtitles etc .the only problem is its costs too much

more info and screenshots here: http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda3.html

guides here : http://www.videohelp.com/guides?tools=181&...amp;archive=%25

other dvd authering /making guides : http://www.videohelp.com/author

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

Thanks got an account!! I'm actually also getting advice heer!!

http://forumempire.com/viewtopic.php?p=259587#259587

Also using DVX but actually trying with Easy DVD burner simply because I can understand the bloody thing!!!

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

From what I can glean it SEEMS that I am using DVD-+R discs which cannot be finalised!!! So will NOT play on a stand alone dvd player?? Anyone come across that?

Chris Goddard

no ,all the dvd+r's & dvd-r's I've ever used (and thats a lot in my jolly rodger days) have finalised ,any failiours where writing failiurs

dvd/rw's don't finalise (although they will go through the motions) as they use the universal disk format & there for can be re-formatted ,then written too again ,you might want too check these aint what you've been using ,they're not always very clear on the labeling

what could be happening is the writer firmware (look up table) doesn't recognise your disks ,and is failing to write too the disks lead out ! ,you could try a different brand of disks .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender