Otters

Elton

Otters  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like Otters?

• Yes
    • No

Guest tigger
Nope. Tigger was actually mentioned in The Compleat Angler and is, in fact, even older than Vagabond and Leon (not put together, obviously, 'cos that would make him as old as Jesus. Probably).

:lol::lol:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Otters haven't always been a protected species, and I suspect it was before prohibition that Tigger shot them.

Otters are making a comeback, yes, but only after a massive re-stocking programme by the Otter trusts, who occasionally stocked Otters in some areas where they were naturally going to come into conflict with some anglers interests. An otter will quite happily take a very large fish, then eat a bit of it. It'll then dump the carcass and later, take another big fish just for a few mouthfulls.

SAA's Chris Burt has done a lot of work on the issues and the info is available on the SAA website.

But yes, I do like Otters. It's just a shame that there has been quite a lot of aggro caused by their un-natural comeback. No doubt, there'll be trouble soon over Beavers. Personally, I think Sabre Tooth Tigers need another chance and I can think of a few areas where they should be released!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

I've only ever seen three, I managed to shoot two of them and the dogs caught the other one as it made it's escape to it's holt. I've kept the skins which I may use for making some gloves. Their not in very good nick though as I shot them at close quarters with a 12 bore so smashed them a bit and the one the dogs got was needless to say ........a bit ripped up.

I am glad these otters were killed; and I am sorry there are no more otter-killers; for I know that the want of otter-killers, and the not keeping the fence-months for the preservation of fish, will, in time, prove the destruction of all rivers.

Izaak

Guest Rabbit
I've only ever seen three, I managed to shoot two of them and the dogs caught the other one as it made it's escape to it's holt. I've kept the skins which I may use for making some gloves. Their not in very good nick though as I shot them at close quarters with a 12 bore so smashed them a bit and the one the dogs got was needless to say ........a bit ripped up.

Follows on close behind your comments regarding your dogs killing hedge hogs. Don't not what sort of image you are trying to portray of yourself to us on here Ian but to me as you are sounding like a a jerk. Otters are protected species, like it or not, possibly hedge hogs too I havn't checked, But arn't we the first on here to condemn the actions of yobs?

I really hope this is a wind up .

Follows on close behind your comments regarding your dogs killing hedge hogs. Don't not what sort of image you are trying to portray of yourself to us on here Ian but to me as you are sounding like a a jerk. Otters are protected species, like it or not, possibly hedge hogs too I havn't checked, But arn't we the first on here to condemn the actions of yobs?

I really hope this is a wind up .

I never thought I'd say this but ..... I wholeheartedly agree with Rabbit!

Rich

As soon as I saw this topic title I inwardly groaned because I just knew what to expect (not a go at you Elton, it's a fair question).

People do realise this is public forum, right? Jeeze.

A 'yes' from me Elton, I've seen a couple on my favourite Thames tributary and, despite them probably being responsible for the massive depletion of the barbel stocks, it's always a real honour to see one. I bet few people who aren't anglers ever see one. They've got such character, love 'em!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest Rabbit
I never thought I'd say this but ..... I wholeheartedly agree with Rabbit!

Rich

Why thank you Richard :rolleyes: However I do find it a bit funny with the pre cursor ''I never thought I would agree with Rabbit..''.

It happens all too often now for my liking :angry:

But thanks anyway.

I have checked and Yes Hedgehogs are protected .

Edited by Rabbit

I have checked and Yes Hedgehogs are protected .

Yeah, they have these spikey things around them.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE