Tips for Wingham

Anderoo

As Wingham is so big and lightly stocked, I thought it would be a good idea if we started a topic where people can leave any tips they've accumulated over the years to help us newbies :)

Last year (the one and only time I've fished Wingham) we plumbed around first thing to find some nice spots at the bottom of a big gravel bar near the margin, dropped in a fair amount of groundbait with hemp/maggots/corn/pellets and then left it for a few hours while we helped demolish the BBQ. This seemed to work quite well, with perch (and pike!) feeding on it when we came back a few hours later. Worm (1/2 a lob) was the best bait and free-running feeder was the best tactic. I did have a couple of fish on the float before the wind really got up.

'Boiliedangler' had one fast run at range after casting to a rolling bream (which he lost), but all our fish came from a rod-length from the bank, on the bottom. In fact two or three of our perch came literally inches from the bank.

My other tip is to take some forceps as the pike like worms!

Any tips or general guru-ness would be appreciated :thumbs: Especially for the tench and bream.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, your tactics seem sound. I have only fished Wingham once before and tried the same tactics.

Around 2 to 3 rod lengths out I put down a bed of chopped denra's, maggots, pellets, corn and hemp and fished lob worms over it. It also produced Perch & Pike. So planning to try the same tactic this year with a least one rod. See if I can get a few more of those Wingham Perch.

From what others have posted in the past, the old lob worm does seem to be a killer bait. I assume with such little fishing presure it may be best to stick with traditional baits.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I've fished wingham a few times now and here are my hints.

First comment would be to match your tactics to the swim you are fishing. Some will be better suited to close range and others to long. Equally some will be more likely to produce certain species than others. For example my swim last year had not been previously noted for it's perch and so it showed.

Last year, I had a fairly even gully in front and fished a couple of rods at 40/50 yards on red maggot, in-line feeders and a small pva bag of red deads attached to the hook. This gave me three of the four tench including the 9-13. I fished worm and corn at times and had the other tench on worm and maggot cocktail. I lost one pike and had no takes from perch.

Remember these fish do not see many anglers and therefore I would suggest keeping things simple. The main baits I will be using are red maggot (live and dead and aritficial), worms and corn (inc artificial). I might dabble a bit with halibut pellets for the bream.

As for groundbaiting etc, the jury's out as better to spod or not. I did spod last year but.... As mentioned already, these fish do not see many people so can spook easily. It really would not be sensible to start spodding in the evening or at night as you could just spook the bream away for good. Your neighbour might not be too pleased either.

As for spod /groundbait/stick mix etc. The Bream appear not to like hemp but of course the tench love it. As I will be doing this year, you could try baiting one area with hemp mixture and one without. Bream everywhere do seem to like fishmeal/halibut etc so that will be going into "bream" mix along with sufficient corn and dead maggots.

Hope this has helped.

One other thing. I hope to be down there before you other guys arrive ready to provide with a welcoming cuppa. I also said to Steve that, if you guys want, i'm happy to provide welcoming bacon sarny but you will all probably be too anxious to get to your swims to worry about such things. By the way, tea and sarnies would be free.

Meatballs

Edited by Meatballs

Find the features - my 'usual' swim on Wingham has a nice overhanging tree to the left which just happens to hang out over the marginal drop off and it's no coincidence that this always produces fish. If you're fishing one rod you won't go far wrong with the marginal shelf, if you're fishing two or more rods fish at least one there. Take advice from Steve and the Bailiffs, they do know the place best.

WRT baits most of my fish including numerous PB's from Wingham have come to corn or lobworms, Maggots also produce but if the small Perch show up they're not as selective.

Also - try and be organised! I've kicked myself a couple of times at Wingham by being too eager to get the rods in before I was ready and lost a couple of fish including a Bream as a consequence.

I'd err on the side of caution with Spods, it's something I've done once before there and it didn't produce but that was the year it was stinking hot and few fish were caught. I'll be bringing one along this year but only a pocket rocket which won't cause too much disturbance should I choose to use it. That same year fishing more than one rod definitely helped as it gave me a chance to see what the fish were responding to, in the end the float rod produced best with loosefeed only little and often.

Edited by Rob Ward

This is really useful info, cheers folks. I was wondering about spodding and the disturbance it causes - I guess the jury's out on that one. I suppose it's also worth bearing in mind that there'll be far more bankside disturbance than usual, so staying extra quiet is essential.

I think if I'm in a swim that's suited to spodding I'll get it over with in one horrible, noisy go first thing and then fish feeders over it... hopefully though I'll have a nice deep margin and I can avoid all that disruption.

Any more words of wisdom?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The best advice I can give is to

- Locate Elton & visit a while with him

- Figure out what he is using

- Fish some place that he is not and use tactics & bait that are completely different

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

One of the biggest lessons I learned last year was the colour of our groundbait. I took a load of ground up Vitalin as a bulk feed and only noticed when it was too late that we could see it on the bottem of 6 feet of water. I'm sure this is one of the reasons I didn't catch.

Tactics for this year will be one rod over a large bed of DARK groundbait, preferably a semi fixed bolt rig for the bream. I've decided to use a bolt rig because of the line bites that are mentioned so often. I'm hoping that a proper bite will be registered as a full blooded take and I can ignore the rest, we will see!

The other two rods will be over a spodded(pocket rocket) bed of dead maggots and worms. One rod will be a semi fixed rig again with a short hooklength and bunch of maggots on a clip and a PVA bag of maggots, hopefully this rig will pick up any tench.

The other rig will be a running rig with a popped up lob worm for the perch.

Hopefully I have most species covered but feel free to comment.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

I've fished wingham a few times now and here are my hints.

First comment would be to match your tactics to the swim you are fishing. Some will be better suited to close range and others to long. Equally some will be more likely to produce certain species than others. For example my swim last year had not been previously noted for it's perch and so it showed.

Last year, I had a fairly even gully in front and fished a couple of rods at 40/50 yards on red maggot, in-line feeders and a small pva bag of red deads attached to the hook. This gave me three of the four tench including the 9-13. I fished worm and corn at times and had the other tench on worm and maggot cocktail. I lost one pike and had no takes from perch.

Remember these fish do not see many anglers and therefore I would suggest keeping things simple. The main baits I will be using are red maggot (live and dead and aritficial), worms and corn (inc artificial). I might dabble a bit with halibut pellets for the bream.

As for groundbaiting etc, the jury's out as better to spod or not. I did spod last year but.... As mentioned already, these fish do not see many people so can spook easily. It really would not be sensible to start spodding in the evening or at night as you could just spook the bream away for good. Your neighbour might not be too pleased either.

As for spod /groundbait/stick mix etc. The Bream appear not to like hemp but of course the tench love it. As I will be doing this year, you could try baiting one area with hemp mixture and one without. Bream everywhere do seem to like fishmeal/halibut etc so that will be going into "bream" mix along with sufficient corn and dead maggots.

Hope this has helped.

One other thing. I hope to be down there before you other guys arrive ready to provide with a welcoming cuppa. I also said to Steve that, if you guys want, i'm happy to provide welcoming bacon sarny but you will all probably be too anxious to get to your swims to worry about such things. By the way, tea and sarnies would be free.

Meatballs

Hi meatballs,

Could you please tell me if you caught your tench over gravel or in the silt at the bottem of the slope?

Thanks

Anthony

Effort equals reward!!

The best advice I can give is to

- Locate Elton & visit a while with him

- Figure out what he is using

- Fish some place that he is not and use tactics & bait that are completely different

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Ouch, the truth hurts though !

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Having only fished Wingahm once before and seeing that each swim is so different, I will wait and see what swim I have before deciding on what my tactics will be, but I imagine they will be very similar to Anthony's, BTW did you know I taught him everything he knows :rolleyes:

I will not be using Vitalin either but opting for a dark groundbait if I use it. I am looking on the lines of maggot and corn with lobs as the main bait. My fear is that I get Piked out again. I was so plagued with Pike last time, I pulled the rods in and went to sleep int he end. I just could not get past them and everything I tried resulted in you know what- a Pike.

I am just pleased to have the chance to fish there again.

I can't wait, see you all there

Paul