Tips for Wingham

Anderoo

Having only fished Wingahm once before and seeing that each swim is so different, I will wait and see what swim I have before deciding on what my tactics will be, but I imagine they will be very similar to Anthony's, BTW did you know I taught him everything he knows :rolleyes:

:D:D I thought it was the other way around mate. Mind you, I will say your a dab hand with the camera. I'm glad your coming this year as I don't have a remote for my new Fuji yet :P

I'm getting really excited now.

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fear is that I get Piked out again. I was so plagued with Pike last time, I pulled the rods in and went to sleep int he end. I just could not get past them and everything I tried resulted in you know what- a Pike.

Don't worry - I'll put you in my favourite pike swim. Can't have you getting overtired! <_<

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I'm not going to comment on the tactics, partly as I've already made some suggestions on the bookings thread.

However the main reason is that I might learn something from you lot. Many ideas that are new to Wingham will undoubtedly be tried at the weekend as the water is so lightly fished.

In fact, on the thread giving the catch reports it would be very helpful if you described your tactics plus what worked and what didn't. Cheers.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi meatballs,

Could you please tell me if you caught your tench over gravel or in the silt at the bottem of the slope?

Thanks

Anthony

Hi Anthony

It was in the silt. depth was fairly uniform so no real decernable slope. I did try the gravel and the slopes but got nothingas most fish seemed to be using the channels between the gravel bars. As said before though each swim is so differant.

meatballs

Hi guys,

All the advice so far is pretty sound so I am just going to add a couple of thoughts of my own to help confuse things! :unsure:

As far as goundbait goes I would recommend Expo as one of the main ingredients. Tench love the stuff. I also know that some of the tench at Wingham also like Maple flavour. They have also been known to snaffle a boilie or two but not in great numbers. Most fall to maggots, worm and corn.

I would not dismiss Vitalin as an ingredient if you are interested in the big bream. They are notoriously nocturnal feeders at Wingham so the colour doesn't matter. I shall certainly be using it in my method mix/groundbait as I believe that bream like the maize content. I shall also be adding fishmeal to the mix too.

The other difference between tench and bream is that the former tend to patrol at the bottom/sides of ridges and bars whereas the latter like the flat tops and clean even patches. So bring your marker rod and spend the first hour or two finding out what features are in front of you. Put it down of paper and then work out where what fish is likely to be. It's been said before and I will say it again, don't ignore the margins. However, if you are fishing them then you have to be VERY quiet. If you spook the bream you won't see them again that night. Tench are not so fussy but even so, it pays to keep the noise down.

I don't know much about the other species in Wingham - rudd, perch, carp and eels - but being Wingham fish the average size can be quite large. Consequently, it is not easy to catch a large bag. Large individual specimens, yes, but 100lb bags - forget it. So set your stall out with this in mind and you will have an enjoyable time. That, the wonderful wildlife and the social side all add up to the magic of a Wingham Angler's Net Fish-In. I look forward to meeting everyone and putting names to faces.

Enjoy!!

Steve C.

I'm going to do my best to float fish where possible this weekend, as long as my swim is suitable. What I liked so much about Wingham was it's feeling of peace and simplicity - no cunning hooklength material, no hair rigs, no bolt rigs, no tubing or leadcore, none of the trappings of modern fishing. Just a simple running feeder rig or sturdy bodied waggler with a worm on the hook, dropped gently in the margins, and expectations of monsters... (OK, and bite alarms :) )

It'll be welcome change from the carpy lake I'm fishing for tench at the moment, with full-size BBQs, TVs, and crates of beer!

The groundbait I used last year certainly held the fish, and I'm pretty sure it was a mix of green swim stim and brown crumb - so, quite dark. To be honest though I'd have thought 'obvious' groundbait would attract the tench's attentions. When tench fishing I always include quite a few bright bits and pieces to get them investigating.

I think generally I'm aiming to fish as close in as possible with the least possible disturbance.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

'One other thing. I hope to be down there before you other guys arrive ready to provide with a welcoming cuppa. I also said to Steve that, if you guys want, i'm happy to provide welcoming bacon sarny but you will all probably be too anxious to get to your swims to worry about such things. By the way, tea and sarnies would be free.'

For some reason I didn't remark earlier what a generous offer that is Meatballs :thumbs: There's always time for a cuppa!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The other difference between tench and bream is that the former tend to patrol at the bottom/sides of ridges and bars whereas the latter like the flat tops and clean even patches.

I said I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but feel I have to on this point. Sorry, Steve, although I do agree with the rest of your post, especially the advice about keeping quiet!

What Steve has posted is the accepted wisdom. However I don't think it applies to Wingham. The idea had been developed at waters like Queenford that are more or less permanently weeded throughout the summer months. Bream don't seem to like weed and so feed on these waters in the only clear areas, mainly on the tops of gravel bars.

At Wingham we treat the weed every couple of years or so and thus there are large areas of clear bottom. This is particularly so in the spring, and even more so this year as Nature (unlike elsewhere) is well behind in East Kent. For instance the perch have only just spawned, and we have very little weed at all yet, despite not having treated the Coarse Lake this year.

The first year I bream fished at Wingham was pretty clear of weed all summer, and I was very worried about where I'd find the fish. With little weed they could feed anywhere in the lake, rather than being largely confined to the tops of the bars. It was bad enough trying to guess which of the 100s of bars they'd feed on normally, let alone having the whole of the rest of the lake to consider as well! I should have thought of it earlier, but just before the season started I had the idea of trying to work out routes they might use to travel to different areas of the lake and then ambush them along these. This is where the aerial photos came in, as without these it would have been impossible!

To cut a long story short I had 5 bream that season in just approx 20 nights fishing. It might not seem much, but the average on Queenford was 1 bream per 15 nights fishing. And this was by some of the top bream anglers in the country!

What's particularly interesting is that all my bream came in deeper water on the slopes of bars or in gaps in a bar. Additionally all came within 10 feet of the bank, thus debunking another bit of accepted wisdom that you have to fish at range for bream.

I'll leave it to those coming to decide where they're going to fish. However, it's worth pointing out that Budgie'e 15-13 on last year's Fish-In came close in at the bottom of the marginal shelf, whilst Rob's 16-06 came at the base of a bar.