The fishing in the south east is dead!

Dave H

It's countrywide. I haven't got a natural stillwater available anywhere near me - most are carp lakes or commercials.

I have access to one park pool which was ruined a few years ago by having the lilies ripped out and carp put in. What was apparently a wonderful tench water now only produces carp and bream - and the local EE's have recently found it and are decimating the carp.

The local council have bulldozed the banks of the local river (The Stour) so it is no longer accessible.

The Severn has been poached so heavily that although I predominantly fish lures, I haven't had a pike since 2013.

Things are getting bad all around.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Been hearing similar stories over on the pit. Waters getting stuffed with carp and membership fees going sky high. £300 to £600+ for a year on what was a moderate fee in a balanced mixed species water.

I can only hope that this is not a sign of things to come in the future up here in scotland.

The whole thing sounds very depressing and to think danny fairbrass wants MORE of it going on and evicting resident fish so he can setup his "conveyor belt of carp"

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

In the last few weeks I have caught plenty of perch and zander on lures from canals, good perch on legered and float fished lobs from a local club lake, rudd, perch, roach and a decent bream from a local gravel pit on maggot feeder, several good crucians from a club lake on little method feeders and on the float, plenty of carp to nearly 20lb on floaters from a club lake, lots of trout from a reservoir on little nymphs and dries, a few good tench from a gravel pit, and probably other things I can't remember right now. I haven't even ventured out on the rivers yet but there so much good stuff in store there too!

So I don't agree that the fishing in the SE is dead - sounds more like someone has taken a blank rather too badly :)

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

The the gripe about the carp industry moving in is sound & proven, good natural waters have and are being destroyed by the carp obsession. As for pike, too many pikers and not enough pike, or more particularly, not enough competent pikers.

All that aside silver-fish angling on the Broads is excellent!

• Like 1

All that aside silver-fish angling on the Broads is excellent!

Not Martham end of the thurne through to potter heigham its

not according to match results and anglers on the bank.

I feel for you Dave. I was brought up in Kent (Welling) and used to fish Dartford Lakes, Danson Park, Horton Kirby and Foots Cray Meadows when they were day ticket coarse fisheries and anyone catching a carp was immediately bestowed Angling God status. Lamorbey Park in Sidcup was a brilliant venue for rudd during the mid-seventies. All these places were a bike or bus ride away and capable of producing a mixed bag with the odd larger specimen. When I moan about having a bad day on the Kennet I just think how my fishing would have to change if I ever moved back to Kent, it would probably stop.

What about the Kingfisher club http://www.kapscoarse.co.uk/ . I used to be a member and they had lovely waters at Shorne & Hoo, I see their lakes are now predominantly carp but they have river venues too.

Dave H and Rusty

I am on the KAPS committee and I must point out that at the moment we have a two year waiting list to join the Society. That said our river venues are seriously underfished and even in the summer you can have an entire stretch to yourself.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I envy you guys fishing west and north of the south east as here it has become a complete waist of time for the true coarse angler. Even the day ticket fisheries are packed out at weekends especially and i cant stand them anyway.

And i am sure you all know its carp all the way and a 15lb bream is a nuisance to many down here .

I used to fish the mole as a kid and now it is all owned by match fisherman and the Medway is not that much better . There are a few syndicates or clubs that have the use of coarse fishing but they are now becoming as packed as many day ticket venues and i really struggle to find just basic small fishing enjoyment such as roach and rudd and skimmers in peaceful surroundings

Rant over from a grumpy angler who blanked yesterday on a day ticket on a monday morning still recovering from his float being bombarded by method feeders the day before :bones:

CDAS have a stretch of the Mole at Betchworth which hardly has anyone fishing. I fished it for a number of years until i moved away last year and mostly had the place to myself. Its full of small roach and dace which are easy to catch and big perch, chub, bream and pike although you have to work at catching the bigger specimens

CDAS have a stretch of the Mole at Betchworth which hardly has anyone fishing. I fished it for a number of years until i moved away last year and mostly had the place to myself. Its full of small roach and dace which are easy to catch and big perch, chub, bream and pike although you have to work at catching the bigger specimens

Interesting that...mmm! :fishing1:

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Still plenty of quiet places in East Sussex/West Kent, but you have to be prepared to fish small streams that are difficult of access (steep banks, well overgrown, brambles, hawthorn and nettles).

Although not as nimble as I used to be, I can still manage a short session on such streams. You have to be realistic though, you wont find three pound perch and five pound chub in every pool. A pound fish of any species is a good one, and its likely to be a trout ! If it's solitude you want, I haven't seen another angler on my streams all season, and the only one I met last season was as I parked in a lay-by by the stream, he was just abandoning his trip, moaning about the stream being inaccessible.

As for still waters, I agree the carp are a nuisance in many places, but there are still a few ponds where decent fish of other species can be caught. More people fish still waters of course, but on my last six outings I have only encountered a total of two other anglers.

Haven't fished any commercials since my mate Roger died - we used to fish them for free in return for writing a feature article in his local angling newspaper. Easy fishing once a week, but somehow I don't miss that - certainly not enough to part with money to fish such places.

What I do miss is the loss of a good fishing mate.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...