Radar

ACKOMEISTER

Crikey wot a response, in relation to the radiation a friend of mine works for the national grid he is a pylon erector they use special lined hats for health and safety regs. I am in the process of converting a "nike" baseball cap better to be safe than sorry and for those of you that keep asking what i paddle its a yellow prowler 13.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ackomeister, with this thread I have to accept you have an abundance of dry humour? If not, with that 'hat' advice you have to re-consider if your 'friend' is really a friend. Personally, I think you would be safer sticking your head up your own backside.

Radar sets emit microwave radiation. Although it's called "radiation" it's not an ionizing radiation like X-rays so its only effect on the human body is one of heating. If you stood in front of a military or large commercial radar you could be injured, particularly your eyes, due to burning. The low power sets fitted to small boats are pretty harmless. The heating effect is related to the average power output, not the pulse power. As the pulses are only a few microseconds long, the average power is very low (or your battery would go flat in no time) maybe a few watts, which is less than the mobile phone sitting next to your left testicle will emit in response to a call.

A radar reflector is designed to reflect a stronger signal than a small plastic boat would otherwise do. One of those big metallic helium party balloons might work. Something shaped like a dart flight would be better. You shouldn't really be paddling anywhere where you would need one.

Orduna there is no need to get personal just because you have a small penis, this is a valid open discussion and i will soon be posting foto's of the fitting of the device , the hat may take abit longer because the needles keep bending on the lining but i'm sure i can overcome this problem..........

Orduna there is no need to get personal just because you have a small penis, this is a valid open discussion and i will soon be posting foto's of the fitting of the device , the hat may take abit longer because the needles keep bending on the lining but i'm sure i can overcome this problem..........

Ackomeister, I have to hand it to you. You are amusing me greatly. I do, however, suggest you refrain from remarking from the size of peoples penis as they may no longer wish to get changed in front of such a curious Peeping Tom.

Good luck with the radar, presumably you ahve been etsting it already?

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

I saw the "mythbusters" bust the urban myth of radar cooking items by strapping an uncooked turkey to the radar on the S.S jeremiah o'brien. the turkey after a couple of hours had actually lost a few degrees of temp rather than gained any.

Ackomesiter - no personal attack intended, I am sorry you saw it as such, it was simply a comment on your proposed head wear. If you are serious.........and I am STILL not sure you are, then I will be serious for a while.

From my experience with leisure radar, I agree with a previous comment that there is no real health risk from a small modern radar set. However, here are a couple of points for you to consider. Firstly, height is important due to the narrow bandwidth of a small radar. On a yak it would be impossible (for stability reasons) to mount the Radome (I assume you radar antennae is enclosed in a case) high enough for a suitable signal to be transmitted or received. All you would see is a 'screen' full of clutter. Except in fog, it should be possible to see a vessel far sooner than you might distinguish it on the radar. Secondly, whilst the radome is designed to be mounted outside, the processing unit is certainly not and (without being personal) I believe it would be silly to try.

Finally, I STILL think this thread is a wind up - as I cannot believe anyone would ever, ever consider there was a PRACTICAL reason for a yak with radar

the same reason as people who consider the need for lights on a 2ft wide yak....... All you non believers will see soon when the foto,s are uploaded, thats ruined your weekend having to wait for them... Its more riveting than the long wait to find out who killed tom king on emerdale..

I not saying it can't be done....I just don't believe it will serve any practical use.

Lights are a different matter, they are practical. If, for instance, you are fishing Poole harbour at night then there are a hell of a lot of boat movements............it is the SBS who always give me a scare. Consequently, I show an all round white light, plus a bloody, big lantern as a backup.

Tell me it is a wind up.

Ive just got an auto electrician booked for sat to do all the wiring, ive worked out what i'm using for the monitor spent all day researching on the net, the power source is a formality and i'm waiting for a reply from lowrance uk as we speak about the rad level and risk factor all in all its going good....