Barbel Fishing in east anlia

This is of no use, but it may interest you , My old mate Tom Boulton fished the opening day match on the River Yare, and hooked and landed a small Barbel! as far as I know this is a first on the match length at Beuachamp arms, I don't think it will be the last though!

Try the Wensum mate.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

• 3 years later...

Someone released 50 or so barbel into the Waveney several years ago without permission. He got found out and was expelled from his local angling club with a heafty fine from the authorities. But a mate of mine found a dead barbel fingerling in the Waveney last year, so they've obviously spawned and are surviving as a species.

The Wensum contains some real lunkers, fish pushing 20lb predominently around Lyng and Costessey areas. Much of the best fishing is private and it takes years to get the requisite permissions. But not all of it. With a bit of research you can find spots on the Wensum where you can enjoy free access barbel fishing which would rival anywhere in the country. Don't ask me precisely where though. If I told you then I'm afraid I'd have to kill you ... one of those thorny issues you'll have to figure out for yourself I'm afraid ...

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Someone released 50 or so barbel into the Waveney several years back without permission. Sadly he got found out and a witch hunt ensued. The individual involved was subsequently expelled from his local angling club and then fined by the Environment Agency in a rather tastless display of public humilliation.

I find that a strange stance to take Andy.

If the fish were introduced illegally, then the guy deserves everything he got, and probably more.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I find that a strange stance to take Andy.

If the fish were introduced illegally, then the guy deserves everything he got, and probably more.

John.

Point taken gozzer, I don't wish to condone introducing unlicensed fish into a waterway. That would be entirely wrong. Also, it wasn't the Environment Agency that fined him, it was their predecessors. Hell of a long time ago now.

But also, I don't see that it's entirely different to what happened on the Wensum 20 years earlier. Personally, I forgive him.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

I fish the suffolk stour a lot, And there are barbel present in certain stretches but very few and far between, and very hard work to locate. The wensum is probably your best bet.. There use to be a free stretch at costessy near the mill. and another at drayton. But you would have to look into it. I havent been up the wensum for a few years now. Should really give it a look sometime myself.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.