Wingham Fish-in Report

Steve Burke

Firstly please put all fish-in reports on this thread so that they're all together. Mods - would you please move any other reports to here please. Many thanks.

During the first few hours only a few pike have been caught, with a lot more lost from bite-offs, plus an eel of about 2lbs to Badexcuseforanangler.

Jedibond lost a tench, by his own admission probably because he was watching the Cup Final. He promptly turned his TV off!

John Block phoned me in despair to say he'd lost a carp, after we'd seen some in his swim. Maddog (aka Colin R) also has carp in his swim. I saw a back just break the surface opposite him and in feeder range. Si went round to investigate and spotted 2 very big carp next to an overhanging tree.

All these carp are behind the cold wind, as are many of the carp in the Carp Lake, Quicksand Bay being their favoured area there. Glyn had 2 carp (mid 20s if I remember) at the other end of the Carp Lake before the Fish-In started, whilst Elton and Si have had only pike. Elton's staying on but Si has had to return home.

I'm pleased to say that Budgie is feeling much better and arrived with his nephew Reece who's also fishing.

Conditions are far from good with a fresh gusty SW wind. Couple this with low humidity (a US style cold front has just gone through) and you get a lot of evaporation that cools the water despite the sunshine. The water temperature has dropped to 63.7F (17.6C), and with the wind dropping and a cold night forecast will drop further overnight. However if we get the forecast sun and light winds it'll rise tomorrow and so hopefully turn the fish on. :thumbs: Later in the day some forecasters are predicting rain and all agree that the wind will go round to the N or NE by Monday and it'll turn cooler and wet. :yucky:

It's not the forecast I want to hear, but then last year the weather was very poor and look what was caught - bream of 15-13 & 16-06, tench to 9-13 and several 3lb+ perch. For further details see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham...am+catch+report

Let's hope that we can beat that this year!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update. Just had this text from Richard Capper:

"Had an eel just under two and lost a decent fish, but just had a 5-03 male tench!."

Go get'um Richard!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Let's hope that we can beat that this year!

Yehaa! We just might!

Richard Capper texted me at about 4am with the message "I've had a bream". Sounds like Martin Luther King! I called him back to find it weighed around 16lbs - he and Anderoo were checking the weight of the sling. I'll post the final weight in due course.

Richard had had very little sleep due to line bite after line bite He also mentioned that Rob Ward (who had a big bream from Richard's swim last year) seemed to be taking photos at about midnight.

I've just phoned Rob and he said he'd had 3 eels and a 10lb pike. He then casually added he'd had a new lake record tench at 9-14!

Rob also tells me that he heard lots of buzzers going in the night, especially to his left. Jedibond and Dales are down there, so fingers crossed!

Terry has just dropped Poledark off in his swim But his mate Ted hasn't made it. Terry's going to drive round the lake and then phone me with who's caught what. So hopefully they'll be more to add shortly!

Edited by Steve Burke

well sounds like a good 'un already :D

Be good if a few more get some good fish too, but it's certainly a good start.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Terry's done one end of the lake and here's the scores:

Richard Capper's bream was 16-04, and he's had a total of 5 tench to 8-09!

Alan Campbell (Meatballs) has just had a tench of 8-04.

The alarms that Rob heard were line bites and eels unfortunately, and a number of members have had eels.

I'll wait to leave for Wingham until Terry has reported in from the other end.

As Nick said I hope all catch (preferably PBs!) and especially those who haven't caught from Wingham before.

At the other end of the lake where the cold wind had been blowing there's only eels and pike to report, the best pike being one of 14lbs to Anthony78.

Hopefully with the wind now changed around 180 degrees it'll be their turn, together with those in the sheltered bays.

I'm off to Winghan now so the next report will be this evening.

Those are some impressive weights Steve.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil

All those tench and I'm still yet to catch one!!!

Anyone got directions to wingham, I might just get in me car and head down!!! <_<

All those tench and I'm still yet to catch one!!!

Anyone got directions to wingham, I might just get in me car and head down!!! <_<

Phil, if you're serious I'll e-mail directions to you but the action is likely to be over by the time you arrive.

I had to change plans and come home early. However I've had 2 calls from Leon. The first was to tell me had had a 1-12 perch. His second was to tell me he'd caught a new PB perch of 3-04!

I was quite pleased to accomplish the mission I had set myself and finally bank a very fiesty perch of around 1 3/4 lb around 6pm this evening.

506576762_ac9ab81c90.jpg

A little while later I was back on the phone to Steve to report a new personal best perch of 3lb 4oz :) :) :)

(unfortunately I didn't check the camera to ensure the images had been stored before returning the fish and for some reason they hadn't :( - just like my pb skate of 162lbs!)

I told Steve that I hoped to be phoning again with news of a bigger perch, and a short while later the float disappeared again.

A perch of perhaps 4oz (Damn! I put it back before even thinking about livebait LOL)

Wingham as we know is a beautiful place by day.

506576810_be4a975cac.jpg

But the magic really begins to happen when the sun goes down.

506576822_750ec0734a.jpg

Of course sone people insist on firing up their brand new Kelly Kettles even on an SSI where fires are banned!

506576756_b1b0385cc0.jpg

On the left is Elton the Carpless, the Ross Kemp lookalike is Glyn the bailiff (who having been caught in Elton's jury-rigged alarm system spent the rest of the weekend making him pay! :) )

Many thanks again to Steve for another day in wonderland where the sky is a constant source of joy, Peregrine Falcons, Hobbies, Swifts, Kingfishers and a noisy sedge warbler sharing your swim, not to mention the honking flights of geese, formation flying at low-level over your head as the light fades, lizards play on the ford bridge, and the ground becomes alive with fluffy bunnies.

Many thanks to Peggy, toiling in plumes of smoke to feed the ravenous mob.

And to the bailiffs who toiled to get Wingham ready for the Invasion.

And to all the ANers who had time to chat and share their tea and coffee as I roamed from swim to swim.

:)

Have you decided on the dates for Next Year yet Steve? :)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust