Wingham Fish-in Report

Steve Burke

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's time for some votes of thanks.

Firstly to the bailiffs including new bailiff Tom. Without your extremely hard, uncomplaining work Wingham wouldn't have looked as nice as it does. And there certainly wouldn't have been a Fish-In let alone a taxi service!

Secondly to Alan (Meatballs) and Steve Campbell (Wyenot), who were a great help with the catering arrangements. Plus they donated bacon and beer, not to mention another BBQ amongst other things. Cheers, guys!

Thirdly to Peggy, who did a lot of hard work in the background plus BBQs on Saturday and Sunday. In fact I'm considering promoting you from Slave to Concubine. If you play your cards right you might even make Wife one day! You're already married you say? Well divorce the Burke then!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Thirdly to Peggy, ..........I'm considering promoting you from Slave to Concubine. If you play your cards right you might even make Wife one day! You're already married you say? Well divorce the Burke then!

Now there's a thought!!! :clap:

Seriously though I enjoyed meeting you all and glad you enjoyed the grub.

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

A big thank you to Steve, Peggy, Glynn & Terry for putting on another great fish in. All your hard work is much appreciated.

No big catch's from me to report, but Wingham is such a beautiful place just being there watching the mist on the water and the sun come up is part fo the experience as much as catching the fish.

I had a Pike on the saturday around 6 or 7lb and Sunday night turned in to a bit of an eel session with an eel every 20 minutes from around 9.30 to 12.30pm. They took lobs, dendras and brandling worms. In the end I changed baits as I was in bad need of sleep from staying up all Saturday night and so switched to corn, pinapple and strawberry jam boilies. This felt so wierd picking a bait to stop getting bites! This tactic almost worked, but I still managed to pick up one final eel on a double strawberry mini boilie.

Once again a big thank you to the team for putting on the event, and a small thank you to the Wingham eels for putting a bend in my rod :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Well after becoming bored of personal best monster bream and specimen perch and tench on previous trips tp Wingham I decided this year to truely test my supreme angling ability by targeting that truely worthy opponent the eel......

Naturaly I was truely masterfull and landed an all time record catch of specimen eels! eels of all sizes and head shapes! eels that seemed to eat any bait I could offer (no doubt down to my superior presentation).I am now truely the Eel King of Wingham! Even Tels 5lbr on sweetcorn pales in comparrison.

Like Steve said the lake did fish very uneven this year (most certainly down to the wind) and I felt sorry for the few who struggled to get an eel being constantly pestered by nussence specimen bream and tench.Then maybe they just werent up to the challenge of anguilla anguilla? Rob just cant seem to get it right! year after year he gets bothered by huge bream and tench,this year he even had a lake record tench interupt his angling! as for that Richard guy he might as well pack up now! (oh on the subject of Richard I did sneak a look at his tackle (not his fishing tackle) and indeed they are Golden! ;):D

But on a serious note! thanks and thanks again to Steve,Peggy and crew for putting on another truely great fish in.I was once again amazed that Steve still had places going spare!!! Are you guys mad not going?!!

I hadnt been to good all week but fortunately felt a bit better on the Sat afternoon and made my way over.Reece came with me more to look after me than anything else but as a keen angler he really enjoyed the whole event.His PB Perch of 2lb 6ozs was really the cream on the cake for him! Fortunately I woke after a short nap on Sunday morning feeling realy good.I hadnt booked in for food as I had been unwell but Peggy kindly fitted me in and rustled up a BBQ that exceeded even her high standards.As usual thanks Peggy.

I cant say thankyou enough to all involved in the preparation and running of this event as its impossible to say enough for such a privalige.

Last but not least may I say what a pleasure it was as usual to chat and catch up wth people both new and old that Ive become to regard as friends from here.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks Steve...and Peggy..and Glynn and Terry and Meatballs and Wyenot :)

My catch? well I set out my stall,10 am Sunday, very promising swim with a nice deep margin. Plumbed around a bit and found it sloped quickly down to about 11 feet and then leveled out for at least 30 yards out. So.. one at the bottom of the slope and one a few yards onto the flat area. Chopped up a load of worms,mixed in the groundbait, and within a couple of minutes the RH rod nodded and a Pike drifted past, and then the LH rod nodded.

After the BBQ I decided on a cunning plan to beat the eels and pike so recast wth new baits. As the light faded I began to hear alarms going off all around me..."I hope they are eels" :) and then at 07.10 my RH rod gave 3 bleeps and I fell out of bed....................

So far so good, I had avoided the eels and pike...and bream and tench...and perch.....and so late on Monday I desperately drifted a couple of worms and fed chopped worm (to try for a perch) but really I was after anything :) and a tiny pike obliged which Richard wanted to photograph (no way mate :)) and then a magnificent fight with a low double pike on a match rod.

Super view from my swim, straight acros the lake to Richards swim (curse, spit, snarl) should have brought my big guns, perhaps I could have cast across into his swim :) Not that I would have done that :) :)

Smashing time, Wingham tempted me to do a night, and that doesn't happen often, Thanks again Steve, and many many congrats to Richard...VERY IMPRESSIVE angling :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I fished at Wingham for the first time last year and found it impossibly easy - no challenge at all, and in fact I thought Steve had accidentally put me on the stock pond. So, this year I decided to target the elusive tadpole shoals that lurk in the misty depths. Tadpole is one of those fish I always mean to fish for, but always get sidetracked, so this seemed an ideal opportunity. What I didn't want to happen was a shoal of big bream or tench muscling in and ruining my extremely delicate presentation, so I came up with a clever plan to drive all the nuisance fish to my left, over towards Rich. Rich is rather a lowly soul and isn't a very good angler, so I thought I'd help him out with a few bites. He did manage a fish or two, which he'll tell you about in due course, so I think he was happy by the end. The plan worked perfectly, as I didn't get bothered by a single annoying beep all weekend.

I blanked, but I did get a glimse of one of the tadpole shoals. It was an awesome sight as they rolled in the morning mist. Incredible.

:rolleyes:

Huge thanks to Steve for allowing me to fish, Peggy for the fantastic BBQs (great food and also a good opportunity to catch up with people, and stop them beating Richard up), the baliffs for their hard work and taxi service, and the ANers for not letting my tyres down. (I gave Richard a lift, you see.)

Well done to those who did catch, especially Reece with his big perch (well done mate :thumbs: ), Rob with another huge Wingham tench and lake record, and of course Rich. Say what you like, he found the right spots in his swim, baited them correctly and fished well, and deserved success. Also, it means that he'll get a terrible swim next year and blank. :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Wow what a weekend! Wingham is a truly amazing place! I'm absolutely shattered, so I'll post pics and details of fish etc when I get home from work later!

First of all thanks to Steve, Terry, Glynn and Peggy. The amount of work they do to make this event happen is truly amazing, not least as they do it all for free! Secondly it was great to put names to faces and chat to everyone and thanks for everyone having the self restraint not to push me in (I though Terry was going to yesterday morning when I told him what I'd caught). Lastly I'd really like to thank Anderoo, he took quite a few photos for me in the middle of the night without complaint and he even gave me a lift home, I really thought I would be walking or dumped by the side of the road in deepest darkest kent!

I was going to post yesterday but after I'd got home and put the tackle away I couldn't find my phone. I'd lost it at wingham but when Anderoo rang it I knew it was amongst my tackle in Terry's trailer. To cut a long story short I eventually found it neatly rolled up in middle of my bivvy inside its bag in the shed! After digging that out I was too tired and fell asleep before the laptop had finished booting!

Will post later,

Rich

.....and so late on Monday I desperately drifted a couple of worms and fed chopped worm (to try for a perch) but really I was after anything :)

I've thought long and hard about revealing the secret groundbait that I used to tempt the perch to feed in my swim.

Oh! What the hell, I can trust ANers can't I? (especially you Den surely).

Balls of molehill dirt!

It helps to cloud the water, and the preds move in (especially on crystal clear waters like Wingham, and especially with small amounts of chopped worm mixed in - it also helps to get the chopped worm out further, and reduces the spread that happens if you try to feed them by simply throwing by hand).

I was also hoping that as it settled to the bottom, it might attract the curiosity of a tench or two, but it didn't seem to this time.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Firstly a big thank you to Steve and all invovled at Wingham, a truly awesome and inspirational place.

Steve put me in a peg not noted for Pike which destroyed my fishing last time I attended and you guesssed it, within hours I had a Pike on the bank. The Tench and Bream were once again ellusive and I will have to keep on trying. Nobody caught in the part of the lake I was on and all the fish came from the top end, I did eventually catch a Wingahm Perch though-all 6oz of it. :clap2:

I did avoid the eels and Pike on the Sunday night which plagued me Saturday night, but then again so did everything else.

Well done to Richard on his great catch and to Rob on his lake record Tench, you truly are the master of Wingham. :thumbs:

BTW Elton, what does a Carp look like ? :rolleyes:

Paul