Decline of the Burbot

Chris Plumb

Seen a lot of anger this evening over someone proposing they should be stocked back into lakes and rivers!

What next cave bears ,saber cats and mammoths ,things decline can you miss something you have never seen heard or felt?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The do spice up winter fishing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

What next cave bears ,saber cats and mammoths ,things decline can you miss something you have never seen heard or felt?

You forgot to add T. rex, just to complete the total non-comparison between wholly-extinct taxa and those that have been locally extirpated in recent history.

• Like 1

You forgot to add T. rex, just to complete the total non-comparison between wholly-extinct taxa and those that have been locally extirpated in recent history.

Compared to dinos my 3 ARE recently extinct

Ok wolves ,bears (any type you wish) and wild boar (the ones naturally here)

Just over the road are a flock of welsh hill sheep ,living on flat ground not being rogered by welshmen as soon as they take a bite of grass must be hell for them ,i expect extinction for them would be welcome

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

No need to really introduce a fish that is now foreign. Just teach a few cod to live & reproduce in fresh water and VOLA, you will pretty much have your burbot back. So close that only a real expert could tell the difference.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Ok wolves ,bears (any type you wish) and wild boar (the ones naturally here)

Still a crap comparison, large terrestrial mammals with significant impacts on the ecology of their habitat, against a demersal fish that is still abundant elsewhere within its range. Whassup, them sheep too quick for you?

IMO the EA can't even be relied on to safeguard the fish that are still here, this kind of nonsense is just window-dressing to disguise the handing-back of our environment to big business https://www.gov.uk/government/news/environment-agency-reveals-secret-seven-fish

• Like 1

Still a crap comparison, large terrestrial mammals with significant impacts on the ecology of their habitat, against a demersal fish that is still abundant elsewhere within its range. Whassup, them sheep too quick for you?

IMO the EA can't even be relied on to safeguard the fish that are still here, this kind of nonsense is just window-dressing to disguise the handing-back of our environment to big business https://www.gov.uk/government/news/environment-agency-reveals-secret-seven-fish

Got no problem the EA is to blame for half the problem but species go for many reasons and a few are not down to man ,whose to say the country had burbots in every water 200 years ago (like ospreys) but man man have been partial to burbot sarnies or the temperature perfect for them to thrive ?

Is it worth worrying about something few have seen ,what next tears because you miss leprosy, things changes niches go and get filled by something else its been happening for 4 billion years long may it go on

The large animals had no effect on the ecology otherwise they would have gone long ago or not evolved at all ,man destroyed them because of their impact on man or mans interests a far different story ,why weep for something you havnt felt or seen ,99% of the country will not weep for burbot or anything else considered "fish" ,luckily for anglers its like that if burbot or our fish had fur or feather there would be few anglers out there the rspca would be out in a flash at the sound of a reel turning ,if burbots were cute and fluffy i expect some would crave to own them or protect them but their not so they will go like so many species before them ,they stay because they have a use (usually food) or they have no value and disapear are there any burbot angling clubs? A trophy for a big one ,a free permit ? Just my point they have little value so are expendable to the majority ,if millions were spent saving a handfull questions would be asked in parliament

As you say a great deal is down to big business (usually sewage companies) its not worth trying to save burbot until you cure polution which could be the reason for their decline then the burbot lovers can reintroduce them ,until then its not worth the tears ,nothing will be done because of something a huge majority dont know even exist ,a few puppies die drinking the water problem solved or a big sign saying dont let dogs drink the water but something will happen

Edited by chesters1